Author Topic: Pentagon Briefings on ISIS Operations  (Read 383 times)

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
Pentagon Briefings on ISIS Operations
« on: November 16, 2015, 08:44:40 PM »
I was wondering what the Pentagon has been saying about its fight against ISIS.  Here are some C-Span clips that that I found that I thought were interesting.

This is all pre Paris attacks.

(Note: If you what to veer into Rule 14 territory, please go and start your own thread).

NOVEMBER 13, 2015 (pre Paris attacks)
Military Operations in Iraq and Syria
Colonel Steven Warren
Operation Inherent Resolve

"The briefing focused on the targeted strike against the militant known as “Jihadi John.” Colonel Warren told the reporters that the Pentagon was “reasonably certain” they killed the target, but it was still to early to confirm it. He characterized “Jihad John” as barbaric but a celebrity whose death would be a significant blow to ISIL’s prestige."

http://www.c-span.org/video/?400738-1/defense-department-briefing-military-operations-isis

NOVEMBER 4, 2015
Military Operations in Iraq and Syria
Colonel Steven Warren
Operation Inherent Resolve spokesperson

..."recent announcement by the U.S. to send special forces to Syria would not change the coalition’s efforts."

http://www.c-span.org/video/?400304-1/department-defense-briefing-military-operations-isis

JUNE 5, 2015
Air Operations Against Terrorists
Lieutenant General John Hesterman
Combined Air and Space Operations Center in Southwest Asia
http://www.c-span.org/video/?326418-1/defense-department-briefing-lieutenant-general-john-hesterman-audio

NOVEMBER 10, 2015
Defense Department Briefing
Spokesperson Peter Cook
"briefed reporters and responded to questions on a range of military-related issues, including the National Defense Authorization (NDAA) bill that would prohibit the transfer of Guantanamo Bay prison detainees to the U.S. Other topics included the Russian plane crash in Egypt and the latest military operations against ISIL."

http://www.c-span.org/video/?400563-1/defense-department-briefing

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
Re: Pentagon Briefings on ISIS Operations
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 03:26:41 AM »
its 4:22 in the morning, do you know the point of this thread is?

magic 8 ball says im in be 4 tha lock.  :old:

:airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane:
            :noid                :noid                      :noid                                                                             

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 06:41:01 AM »
I had an usually light day yesterday so I decided that to go see what, if anything, the folks who were carrying out operations against ISIS had to say.

Among the items that I thought were interesting: The number of sorties and dropped ordnance was a bit of a surprise to me (8,000+, average of 50 per day).  Targeting.  The ROE and how it is being implemented, and when it works and when it might seem not to be.  And most interesting, a quite nuanced understanding about what ISIS is – it is in a sense a loose coalition of various groups that have come together.  (The fact that it is a loose collation has implications on what tactics would be useful).

I know that the job of a spokesman is to put the best light as possible on something, but in the past few years I have come to the opinion that most career military personnel have been a lot more up front than in years past.

I think that the Pentagon has been a lot more informative than the rubber chicken circuit that has been raking in the ratings on cable (in US at least) these past few days.

Anyway, I watched several hours of video I thought that these were the most interesting.  If this is not your thing, that is OK with me.

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 07:07:16 AM »
I read the other day the us shared its target list with France.  France put some bombs on target.  Reports from the other side read something like a library, a school, a sports complex... I thought hum that's typical.  I did not watch any of the Isis approved videos from the scene though.  When I get time I will try to watch some press briefings.  :uhoh

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 08:58:08 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 09:41:04 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 12:20:05 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wem14vO7l8

Good to hear our oldest ally is joining us in the skies once again.  :rock

Pick on every superpower in the world and see what will eventually happen...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 12:23:08 PM by Skyguns MKII »