Author Topic: Time To Launch  (Read 984 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
Time To Launch
« on: November 25, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »
Can anyone point me to some source material that would tell you how long it would take to launch a particular aircraft? In other words how long it would take from the time I climbed into my Spitfire Mk. VIII to the time I was able to take off.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Re: Time To Launch
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 06:00:34 PM »
As long as it takes for oil temp to come up to around 40C.  A few minutes.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 08:26:41 AM »
Can anyone point me to some source material that would tell you how long it would take to launch a particular aircraft? In other words how long it would take from the time I climbed into my Spitfire Mk. VIII to the time I was able to take off.
:airplane: Get the "CH's" temps in bottom of green as well as what Columbo pointed out
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 09:21:04 AM »
  Ok, but how long would that normally take on a standard issue spring day at sea level?  In your experience, how long would it take you from the time you enter the plane to the time you lift?
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 06:14:02 PM »
The longest part of the process would be waiting for temps to come up in the engine, assuming your not including the pre-flight check of the airplane.

Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 04:42:25 AM »
Most units on both side used alarm-units, planes already wamed-up by ground-crews, ready for interceptions.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 04:48:45 AM »
Most units on both side used alarm-units, planes already wamed-up by ground-crews, ready for interceptions.
:airplane: In that case, with the engine warmed to normal outside air temps, I would guess about 4 minutes to warm up oil and cylinders and you could be doing pre-takeoff check list during this time, pull the chocks, 2 minutes to taxi to active runway and talk to the controllers, then blast off into the blue. I would guess about 6 to 7 minutes to full throttle for takeoff, but that is just a guess!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline WaffenVW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 07:55:19 PM »
In the Battle Of Britain the RAF had three readiness states: 'Available' (20 minutes) -  'at readiness' (5 minutes) and 'stand-by' (2 minutes).

At 'stand-by' they had only two minutes to get airborne. Ground crew would start the engines as the pilots ran to their aircraft. When they got there the pilots would just jump in and go.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 07:57:59 PM by WaffenVW »

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 11:25:55 PM »
In the Battle Of Britain the RAF had three readiness states: 'Available' (20 minutes) -  'at readiness' (5 minutes) and 'stand-by' (2 minutes).

At 'stand-by' they had only two minutes to get airborne. Ground crew would start the engines as the pilots ran to their aircraft. When they got there the pilots would just jump in and go.

This and the previous post from Earl give me the time frames I was looking for.  Thank you gentlemen.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com