Author Topic: Patch 86  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: Patch 86
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2015, 02:40:54 PM »
The update downloaded very quickly with no problems.

I played around with the lighting sliders and ended up with them all at around 1.25. I could live with them set between 1 to 1.5 but the 2.2 setting for stdshapes looked far too bright.

Clouds viewed at a distance now move very jerkily. As they get nearer and become more detailed the movement smooths out.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 03:15:55 PM »
Auto Update.  OK
Vox.  OK

Clipboard seems to not remember the position I have set after closing game.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 04:11:17 PM »

I noticed this, too.

- oldman

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2015, 05:54:07 PM »
I believe the brightness introduced with Patch 85 & 86 was a significant improvement.  I also believe that shadows should be a little more opaque (less black) even less than in real life (which we currently have).  Making the shadows less powerful would help with some of the jagged edges (and flickering possibly).

1.  Film is a bit bright in my opinion.

ShapeSTD:  ~1.638
Terrain:  1.078 (darker)
Tree:  0.893

2.  I think this is the appropriate look with sun to the viewer's back.

3.  Trees have more 3D pop, when the lighting is reduced, showing layers of leaves better in my opinion.

4.  Concrete, pavement, grass (ground clutter), and buildings are more realistic, in my opinion, with darker more vivid colors.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 06:06:29 PM by Chilli »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2015, 06:53:14 PM »

When I quit out of an arena, the clipboard is suddenly tiny size.

- oldman

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2015, 07:00:16 PM »

When I quit out of an arena, the clipboard is suddenly tiny size.

- oldman

Mine is opposite.  When I quit and return, the clipboard is huge.  Takes up the whole right side of my monitor....   :confused:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2015, 07:03:25 PM »
Chilli,

One of the things Hitech will not know, is how far from the factory out of the box state have his customers adjusted their monitor and or desktop color, gamma, contrast and brightness visa their graphics card. I seem to always up my desktop gamma to 1.2, and in AH2 I've upped it to about 1.2-1.3. The alpha I've left the gamma at the default to keep a base line between patches. I tested gamma once, and very tiny increases in the alpha gamma achieve a bleaching effect quickly.

Some players reference old man's eyes and a spectrum of problems. What have they set their systems to so they can enjoy their time testing the alpha? What have you set yours to? How many are not admitting they are running SweetFX while testing the alpha?

So what is being adjusted if no two people will see the same thing, versus this recent tweek Waffle posted those screen shots for? That was quite an improvement in the light quality especially with the post processing retina dimming response effect to bright light. For me at least in real life, that only happens if I walk out of a dark house into bright sunlight or in from bright sunlight to a dark room and try to read anything. That effect has been a bit draconian on the general brightness of the arena versus walking out of a hanger into 12:00 noon light.

How many testing the alpha have increased their gamma and changed the rest of the graphics settings from the default? And now these sliders, what is anyone adjusting for then against what base line?

Some of what you want Hitech to do for you can be accomplished in your video card's control panel.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2015, 07:50:26 PM »
I use a hardware sensor to calibrate my monitor. 

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2015, 01:35:21 AM »
Could perk cost be turned off in Special Events?

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2015, 03:48:13 AM »
Chilli,

{snip}
Some of what you want Hitech to do for you can be accomplished in your video card's control panel.

I disagree.  I am asking for a more opaque shadow, if at all possible, and I do believe it would make a difference in THAT way to soften the jagged edges as I had described.  At least, if they felt it was worthy of time to coad the debug sliders or whatever it could be proven or dismissed.

Changing gamma, saturation, brightness, contrast or a hundred or so different combinations will NOT soften the shadows without causing a washout effect on the surfaces.

I do not know any of this for a fact, but it stands to reason, that the coad overlays an opaque (for the lack of proper terminology), layer that we perceive as shadows.  The current version does seem to have shadows that are accurate.  I am suggesting that making them more "transparent" would improve the illusion of a smoother more fluid shadow (and may even improve the flickering shadows).

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2015, 08:16:19 AM »
Update was painless.  Lighting is far less painful (I even brought my gamma back down to reasonable levels) to the point of near-awesome and I'm getting 30-something FPS in general flight.  I need to go blow up a strat target and see what the smoke does; my rate in AH2 dropped from 60 to 5 flying through refinery smoke looking for the hidden tank; makes me wonder what my rate in AH3 will be...I'm sure Dale coded the warping of space-time needed for a negative frame rate.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2015, 09:54:57 AM »
Mission arena still showing loading terrain in 3 mins, 2 mins, 1 min, message then booting player.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2015, 10:47:21 AM »
Update no problems. Vox worked fine, as Oldman mentioned we worked out a few minor adjustments.

Lighting, haven't tried it yet, but want to see what happens from sunrise to sunset. The current settings appear consistent from sunrise to sunset, I would suspect the amount of lumens would be somewhat of a bell curve from sunrise to sunset. Currently the lighting appears to be like at Noon on a hot summer day.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2015, 10:54:37 AM »
Chilli,

One of the things Hitech will not know, is how far from the factory out of the box state have his customers adjusted their monitor and or desktop color, gamma, contrast and brightness visa their graphics card. I seem to always up my desktop gamma to 1.2, and in AH2 I've upped it to about 1.2-1.3. The alpha I've left the gamma at the default to keep a base line between patches. I tested gamma once, and very tiny increases in the alpha gamma achieve a bleaching effect quickly.

Some players reference old man's eyes and a spectrum of problems. What have they set their systems to so they can enjoy their time testing the alpha? What have you set yours to? How many are not admitting they are running SweetFX while testing the alpha?

So what is being adjusted if no two people will see the same thing, versus this recent tweek Waffle posted those screen shots for? That was quite an improvement in the light quality especially with the post processing retina dimming response effect to bright light. For me at least in real life, that only happens if I walk out of a dark house into bright sunlight or in from bright sunlight to a dark room and try to read anything. That effect has been a bit draconian on the general brightness of the arena versus walking out of a hanger into 12:00 noon light.

How many testing the alpha have increased their gamma and changed the rest of the graphics settings from the default? And now these sliders, what is anyone adjusting for then against what base line?

Bustr,

You make a good point here & IMHO we all should consider what you've stated...................

As for myself, I leave my vid card's drivers color & hue & all those settings (including gamma) at the driver's default settings, regardless of whether I'm using a Nvidia or AMD vid card & have been doing this for years..........IMHO these settings are set well enough from the get go for the way I use the cards........which is gaming (I don't watch any video on my computer). So for my offerings they are strictly related to changes in the game coding alone, whether referring to AHII or the Alpha................

Since the Alpha's use of the Shader 3.0 Model rendering coding in which Hitech & crew are using (& tweaking themselves I might add), the post lighting effects do add to a much more dynamic graphics lighting scene as now the lighting will change the look depending on the position of the lighting source to you're center of view & so from my viewpoint the Alpha looks to be all around a little too bright, not so much from a gamma perspective but from lighting effects that are, IMHO, set too intensive & this shows up on the objects, especially the trees & the terrain, using what I can see in RL from looking outside the window of my house as a baseline to what I see from looking thru the tower window in-game. This is why Skuzzy also asked us to post....when we posted the numbers of the slider positions that we chose....whether we had the post lighting effects enabled or not.....as this would make a noticeable difference in what we noted or perceived as too bright or dark.

As others who have posted as well, I forgot to mention that in my 1st posting..............thus why I posted a second post to let Hitech & Co know that I indeed had the post lighting effects enabled when I made those slider setting changes that I made...............

IMHO the sliders that Hitech made available for us to adjust weren't adjusting anything else but the lighting effects levels in the Alpha coding on the trees, terrain & the lighting reflections off objects (such as the window panes in the tower) to help them to get a perspective of what they saw as good lighting effect levels to what we see as a collective of what is good lighting effects levels to make a better decision on what the final Alpha coded settings concerning the lighting effects--with or without post lighting effects enabled--should be.............& these have absolutely nothing to do w/ the vid card's driver settings in this regard.....this is all generated from within the Alpha's coding on the graphical rendering calls being sent to the vid card's drivers concerning lighting effects............. What the vid card's drivers are applying to the Alpha's coding is secondary in nature, not primary so as long as your vid card's drivers are set to use the application's graphics settings & not the vid card's driver settings then there shouldn't be any "deviations" from what the Alpha coding calls for in the vid card's graphical rendering.....unless the particular vid card drivers & hardware don't support the Shader 3.0 rendering model code which covers lighting effects..........

If I'm wrong here I'm sure that Hitech & Co will correct me...........................

Just posted all this to let you know where Pudgie's perspectives are coming from in the posts that I have made concerning this aspect of the Alpha testing.....................

:salute

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2015, 11:48:32 AM »
Zeiss range references wash out in bright light. Also no reference arrow. Currently you have to move the barrel down or rotate to a darker object to see the references. This also applies to the other gv gun sights, ie. T34's, M4's etc.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76