Author Topic: What is a Normal File?  (Read 679 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
What is a Normal File?
« on: November 17, 2015, 08:23:59 PM »

1) The Normal File replaces the Bump File and is what provides depth to the image (rivet heads, panel lines, etc.) correct?

2) How do I create a normal file from scratch?   Am I still taking a gray scale image of my panel lines and then converting it to Normal?

3) Is the final _N Normal file in essence a Purple version of the Grayscale _B image at a higher resolution or is it still 256 colors?

I am stuck with PSP 5 so I have to convert everything *TO* a Normal file, which I can't seem to find a method for anywhere online.   Really frustrating.

Any help is appreciated.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: What is a Normal File?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 10:35:15 AM »
Normal files are very difficult to do from scratch.  That is why there are tools to covert bump maps to normal maps as it is much easier to work with the gray scale bump map.

The basic difference is the "bump map" provides only up and down information via the gray scale value of the pixel.  The "normal" map provides a direction vector for each axis telling the graphics engine which direction the surface normal is pointing.  It simply provides more accurate lighting information.

You can obtain a free, legal copy of Adobe Photoshop CS2 from Adobe.  https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?loc=en&e=cs2_downloads
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 10:40:57 AM »
Normal files are very difficult to do from scratch.  That is why there are tools to covert bump maps to normal maps as it is much easier to work with the gray scale bump map.

The basic difference is the "bump map" provides only up and down information via the gray scale value of the pixel.  The "normal" map provides a direction vector for each axis telling the graphics engine which direction the surface normal is pointing.  It simply provides more accurate lighting information.

You can obtain a free, legal copy of Adobe Photoshop CS2 from Adobe.  https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?loc=en&e=cs2_downloads

Ah, okay.  Thanks, Skuzzy.  :aok
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 04:13:47 PM »
Forgot to say.  Once you have Photoshop, you can install the NVidia plugin, which can be used to convert bump maps to normal maps. 

1. You will have to convert your bump map to a RGB image in Photoshop (Image->Mode->RGB Color).
2) Then go to Filter->NVidia Tools->NormalMapFilter

There are a ton of options in the converter.  Play with it until you are happy with the results.

I should also mention, you do not have any rivets in your bump map.  It appears you are using only specular to give the rivets any detail.  Just a thought.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 04:27:49 PM »
Here is an online conversion tool:

http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 05:58:48 PM »
Forgot to say.  Once you have Photoshop, you can install the NVidia plugin, which can be used to convert bump maps to normal maps. 

1. You will have to convert your bump map to a RGB image in Photoshop (Image->Mode->RGB Color).
2) Then go to Filter->NVidia Tools->NormalMapFilter

There are a ton of options in the converter.  Play with it until you are happy with the results.

I should also mention, you do not have any rivets in your bump map.  It appears you are using only specular to give the rivets any detail.  Just a thought.

On the wings, yes.   Mustang wings should be relatively smooth as they were puttied at the factory.   I went for this look on the wings after staring at flush rivets for hours and hours and hours.   The fuselage should have flush rivets (dimples) without any filler.   It worked the way I wanted in AH2 with various light flashes on random rivets giving the appearance of paint chips or slight depressions that were too severe using the bump map.  It will be interesting to see what Normal Mapping will do.   The converter sure makes it look whacky.   I have a lot to learn...  :(   

Thanks for the explanation on conversions and the NVidia plugin.   I will tackle this right away.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:09:45 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 05:59:55 PM »
Here is an online conversion tool:

http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

No luck.  It keeps dumping a plain purple file.    :furious  :rofl
”KILLER V”
The Damned