Author Topic: Windows 10 - The empire rules you  (Read 5947 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 10 - The empire rules you
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 03:11:32 AM »
I use CyberLink PowerDVD which will play even BluRay DVDs on Windows 10.

I have this and on a regular basis i have to contact cyberlink to get it working.

It has not worked for 4 months because it is asking for updates thay dont exists :old:

Microsoft is like Apple, Google, Amazon, facebook run by individuals who are payed lots of coin to turn the other cheek and tell us its for our own good.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 03:14:15 AM by zack1234 »
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 11:24:37 AM »
What does Microsoft have against CPU-Z and CPUID?

It accesses low level driver calls, which Microsoft does not want applications to do.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 03:48:26 PM »
Well, after looking into the changes that the latest Windows 10 revision brings I am growing concerned more-and-more. The DCS key activation has determined that I have made significant hardware changes. I have made no changes. Further, the 'look-and-feel' of windows has changed. For instance, the right-click menu from the desktop has lost my application associations, the task manager no longer allows me to see startup programs that are resident in memory, and there appears to be a major glitch in the number of available resources (Windows routinely loses standard menu appearances). There is no way this OS was ready to roll out. Either the beta testers failed miserably, or the head office needs a change of management.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Online Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 07:12:31 PM »
This is not sounding good. :uhoh
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 07:25:45 PM »
I have no sympathy for those who couldn't wait to install it.   I think it is funny in a way.   You knew going in that there were red flags galore, but yet the temptation of having the latest and worst was overwhelming.   

Windows 10 will not find itself on my PC's and it never was.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 10:11:17 PM »
Unlike 99% of users I can have all of my machines back running W7 in about 30 minutes time. So far though, W10 has not dissected my life, thrown rubbish in the street, or corrupted anything more than itself, so I can put up with the idiosyncrasies I have seen up to this point.

Sometimes you have to have a look down the rabbit hole.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 11:20:55 PM »
Was unaware of this but I refused a free w10 update when they slid it into my pc unannounced.

I also changed the OS in my phone. They are locking things out and doing things for supposed security reasons. I wonder if this is about security issues in a pc. The government wants access to everything under the guize of terrorism. There seem to be many unintended consequences happening trying to keep the feds happy and security for paying customers.............

I just reinstalled my pc OS. I had turned off auto updates, logged off so that my ssd's could maintenance themselves, went to bed. I had just uninstalled SP1 to my new install because it was interfereing with the auto updater. My copy of w7 is a 1st gen so I had some updateing to do still. Any ways I woke the next day and my pc was logged back on an windows had updated itself with stuff, including SP1 again....... now how does a pc relog itself, turn on auto updating?????????????????????????

...????????????????????????????????????????????? getting scary
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 11:26:49 PM »
Unlike 99.9% of others

Sometimes you have to have a look down the rabbit hole.

LOL... Not sure if it's allowed to be talked about on this forum, but 99.9% of computer and internet users don't even know how deep the hole is... Think  tor , onion , deep or dark net/web

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 11:21:52 AM »
I have no sympathy for those who couldn't wait to install it.

I do. Many times it isn't their fault. Those of my clients who installed it did it a) because of the constant nagging and b) because the nag screen let them believe their current OS would stop working in the near future just as XP did. Sometimes even c) because their son-in-law or grandson wanted to keep the oldtimers up to date.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 03:35:37 PM »
My months old ACER runs Win8.1. I hate the amount of work involved in navigating so I clicked the reserve Win10 icon, but I waited to see the public reviews before allowing the upgrade. I was naive.

My kids call me overly paranoid, but I never allow auto-update and most things they take for granted aren't running on my machine. Because of my paranoia, I was able to stop the Win10 upgrade. Apparently since I'd 'reserved my copy', Microsoft felt they had the right to force it on me. There is no option given to delay or disable the upgrade processes. I'd come to update Win8.1, not jump to Win10 so I bailed out.

I decided to clean install Win8.1 (yes, I'd made the backup image right after I bough the machine, thank gawd) but I wanted to save some time by retrieving the list of KB updates I'd hidden and in doing so, I stumbled into the valid updates I needed for Win8.1. I haven't done the reinstall yet, but I'll be reviewing every KB update for any sign of Win10 upgrade support and those won't touch my machine again.

If Win7 included support for the tablet's touchscreen functions, I'd be installing Win7.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2015, 01:41:51 AM »
Easy, the easiest way to avoid Win10 related updates in both 7 and 8/8.1 is to uncheck the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates important updates" option and let Windows do the rest automatically.

The second easiest way is what I'm using: Manually installing critical updates only roughly a month after their release.

The hard way: Read the descriptions for each and every update and install them manually.

N.B. sometimes a critical update may change the settings so it's good practice to check them every now and then.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 06:24:08 AM »
If you have allowed those pesky updates which are a nuisance in Windows 8.1, and earlier, then you can fix it.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,71591.msg4998528.html#msg4998528
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 09:07:15 AM »
Thanks Bizman, I've always done it the hard way so I have an idea what MS is doing. I update every 4 weeks, give or take. I have accumulated a screen full of updates I'd hidden.

Skuzzy, when I checked the updates I accepted, none of them are in your list, but I was probably just lucky. I didn't check it against the ones I hid.

Thanks again, Gentlemen
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 10:30:22 AM »
Thanks Bizman, I've always done it the hard way so I have an idea what MS is doing. I update every 4 weeks, give or take. I have accumulated a screen full of updates I'd hidden.

Skuzzy, when I checked the updates I accepted, none of them are in your list, but I was probably just lucky. I didn't check it against the ones I hid.

Thanks again, Gentlemen

If you have cleared those updates, you will not be bothered with the Windows 10 update badgering.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 11:09:27 AM »
Hiding the unwanted updates will double the security of not getting them. I haven't got any of the unwanted updates so far with the method I described earlier. They're visible in the "optional updates" section, I won't hide them for testing purposes.

One reason for my laziness is that although each detailed description Support page is localized to Finnish but the descriptions within are in English. Microsoft obviously thinks that those who are concerned about what each update does can understand written English.

Kotisivuni