Author Topic: WHY?  (Read 5510 times)

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
Re: WHY?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »
hows come some can fly thru a base or town, taking down the ack, but whenever I get even in close proximity, I get nailed everytime?

There are just two conditions required to avoid the ack. Do it right and the ack will never hit you.

1) Stay fast, the faster the better.

2) Don't fly straight for more than a second or two.

In the first condition, "fast" means close to the top speed of some of the faster aircraft, so this only works well after a dive or if you actually fly one of the fastest aircraft in the arena. Nothing else will help much if you slow down, if your speed drops you will get hit.

In the second condition you don't need to make big direction changes, just small gentle flight path changes so it doesn't hurt your speed too much, because speed is everything. The direction of the changes don't matter, so you can make small altitude changes to stay lined up on an ack when de-acking. Small altitude changes (like porpoising) spoil the ack's aim and doesn't hurt your aim or your speed too much.

Hope that helps.

Badboy
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:04:43 PM by Badboy »
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2015, 01:20:56 PM »
I may be wrong but I think changing direction doesn't help against cv puffy ack as it does not come from an ingame projectile like all other ack in game.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2015, 10:33:13 PM »
tanx folks, more info than I anticipated.

The use of stick suggestions are very good, unfortunately they are based on a certain premise, let me show you why I have already dealt with that in a very specific way.

I would say that my peddles have always been sensitive/sloppy. But I use a scaling curve that's quite extreme so where it still maybe a slight issue I wonder.
Personally as far as ack is concerned, I bet overall I have the steadiest gear in the game, so I will have to go for the porpoiseing technique and memorizing the bases and towns. I do not waffle period. Will have to get with a squad. Need to make some films and spend the time watching them.
 :salute
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:50:25 PM by MADe »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2015, 01:22:36 AM »
I may be wrong but I think changing direction doesn't help against cv puffy ack as it does not come from an ingame projectile like all other ack in game.

The rule of thumb is supposedly if you're flying straight and level at a constant speed, it has its best chance to hit you.  That's why you'll occasionally see the cruising fighter get one shotted at 20k.  If you're pulling G's and changing altitude (either climbing or diving) it's supposed to have less chance to hit you.  That's more or less been my experience.  As long as I'm pulling G's and changing direction it seems to hit me very rarely.

Cruising in any way while in range of puffy seems to be a recipe for getting hit.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2015, 03:40:37 AM »
The use of stick suggestions are very good, unfortunately they are based on a certain premise, let me show you why I have already dealt with that in a very specific way.

I built my own also. For the rudders I got my hands on pedals from a P-51 and then took apart a CH pedal set and used the guts to power mine. As for the stick I used an older CH stick (worn out coolie hat) and used metal conduit with beefy gate springs to hold center.

I'm surprised to see you are not using any damping at all, which I think would really help.

Earlier someone said the adding deadband to a twisty is a good solution. There is no solution to those things, so I'm glad you didn't fall into that trap.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline dogtag380

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2015, 07:41:55 AM »

But I use a scaling curve that's quite extreme so where it still maybe a slight issue I wonder.

yeah this scaling is probably part of the reason its easier for me to avoid ack than it is for you.  For me and my twisty stick, I put in small inputs in rudder/aileron/elevator to avoid the ack.  For you to get the same effect you will have to move your stick and foot pedals much more.  So it would probably feel like you are trying to churn butter and stomp grapes... lol. :rofl
AKTap
~Arabian Knights~
www.arabian-knights.org/

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2015, 07:51:19 AM »
With all of these tips, random chance, no matter what you do, says you will get a one shot kill from an ack every once in a while.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2015, 08:41:06 AM »
The rule of thumb is supposedly if you're flying straight and level at a constant speed, it has its best chance to hit you.  That's why you'll occasionally see the cruising fighter get one shotted at 20k.  If you're pulling G's and changing altitude (either climbing or diving) it's supposed to have less chance to hit you.  That's more or less been my experience.  As long as I'm pulling G's and changing direction it seems to hit me very rarely.

Cruising in any way while in range of puffy seems to be a recipe for getting hit.

Wiley.

If you are in a set of bombers, making a beeline for the CV, this does not apply to you.

For fighters, it seems the faster you go, the more likely you will get hit.   Maneuvering doesn't help one bit, but it should.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2015, 12:08:03 PM »
If you are in a set of bombers, making a beeline for the CV, this does not apply to you.

For fighters, it seems the faster you go, the more likely you will get hit.   Maneuvering doesn't help one bit, but it should.

The part about the bombers is dead on, sorry I should've specified I was talking about fighters.

It seems to me, I've never methodically tested it, but the critical thing about being in a fighter in puffy is pulling G's.  As long as I'm not unloaded, it seems I get hit less.  YMMV.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2015, 01:46:11 PM »
The part about the bombers is dead on, sorry I should've specified I was talking about fighters.

It seems to me, I've never methodically tested it, but the critical thing about being in a fighter in puffy is pulling G's.  As long as I'm not unloaded, it seems I get hit less.  YMMV.

Wiley.
To me this seems like a problem. I would think a formation of bombers would be easier to hit than a single and much smaller fighter travelling at greater speeds. Not complaining of course just doesn't seem right.
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2015, 06:24:45 PM »
like you are trying to churn butter and stomp grapes... lol.

yes this is so, but I would compare it to a more realistic WW2 cockpit movement. ALL the modern sticks are for jets, strictly wrist movement.
I just wonder what the real life percentages are, in real ww2 combat vs what AH has pain stakeingly created. AH has done many things to capture realism without going thru much of the real life tedium involved in real combat aircraft flying, and rightly so!
 :salute

This is what I call a vested interest in the game.
Now if AH would allow me to fly my own colors, another way to create a vested interest in the game. The skinners do fabulous work, its beautiful stuff and I understand what they do is in honor of those that flew in real life, but.......................... .................its keeps the vested interest in the game to few peeps........................ ...

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:42:30 PM by MADe »
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2015, 09:07:27 PM »

In the second condition you don't need to make big direction changes, just small gentle flight path changes so it doesn't hurt your speed too much, because speed is everything. The direction of the changes don't matter, so you can make small altitude changes to stay lined up on an ack when de-acking. Small altitude changes (like porpoising) spoil the ack's aim and doesn't hurt your aim or your speed too much.

Hope that helps.

Badboy

Yep!  And, if you happen to be doing a gun-run to de-ack, start your dive with your aim-point well below the ack gun.  As you pull up into a firing solution, you'll be making those needed course corrections.  Normally, I don't do this with 50's (unless it's a jug) unless others are joining in (1 extra target for ack to shoot at makes all the difference) ... but sometimes ya gotta.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2015, 09:00:51 AM »
I found with ack, sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes the bug...  Some nights, I can deack with no damage, some nights, magic ping-o-death from 6K out.

To the OP, what plane are you deacking with?
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2015, 10:52:11 AM »
Duck down.  :D  Seriously, fast passes with accurate cannon fire.  Work from the outer edges in.  Do not fly right through the middle of a town or field that has all of it's ack guns up.  Also helps to have a friend alternate passes as it splits the amount of guns firing at you.  Sometimes you will get hit, sometimes you will come out without a scratch.  Practice practice practice.

This works, imj.

The other thing I notice echoes Biz's commentary. The ack is good at leading you. That will work iff you're continuing to travel in the same direction and at the same speed as when the projectile is fired. Hence, on egress, don't given the ack an easy solution. I've found that even a minimal turn, one the maintains most of your e, will confuse the unmanned ack.

As for rocket de-ack, I was practicing it last night and found that the vertical approach works pretty well for me, mainly because my aim in the horizontal sucks. You can go above the ack alt, say from 7-8k up, roll over and dive sharply down towards the ack, fire your rockets, then pull out pulling a bit of g (I usually throw some roll in for good measure) until you clear the flack umbrella. I like to think of it like a bubble that I stay above/outside of, until I can make my pass with high closing speed.

Basic: always have the pinpoint location of the emplacement identified before the pass. Fishing expeditions inevitably end badly( and I know).
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2015, 12:40:12 PM »
Download maps and print them
Laminate
Now you can plan your approach for the edges en route so you know where your at
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."