Author Topic: Some observations  (Read 706 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Some observations
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 04:57:14 AM »
We, the three or four in here posting, can agree that bridges could have a place in AH, even in the Mains. But many years of watching what happens when you include destroyable bridges convinces me they should be indestructible.
For the SEA, if they want a bridge that can be destroyed, they need only flip a switch when they place it in the terrain. I don't expect they'll make that mistake in a GV battle area.
However, if a hardened bridge(s) is placed into a terrain as a target for a Snapshot or FSO, then that's entirely different because it isn't one that GVs are supposed to cross and it'd take multiple bombs to take down. Think Italy in '43 or France in '44 etc.

Edit for noticing Greebo's previous stated position is very close to mine.

As far as I know there is not a separate bridge object that HTC will allow to be used independently in an MA terrain (I wish there was). In any other sort of terrain the terrain designer can set a bridge or any object's hardness properties. I'm not sure I'd want my choke points to be destroyable anyway.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:05:14 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 04:21:30 PM »
I'm building an offline gunnery practice terrain.

<snip>

What is the statistical probability of this offline training arena being, say, available for download?  If I wanted to (hypothetically) prove that most of the guns in AH shoot blanks, thereby explaining why I can't hit anything.  Well.  That and HiTech is out to get me.  Pretty sure my online handle is hard-coded to miss everything.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 06:01:59 PM »
I'm waiting on a few more updates. I think some things may still be fluid with Hitech and not the finished system. I'm also stuck on what I want to put on the ground as the level bombing target.

So far I have an AA mesa to spawn up to for 37mm\88mm manned guns, and M16\wirb\osti practice against drones at airfield attack alts. Some set back 88mm way off the field for longer AA practice. Two tank, 17lb and 88mm static gunnery ranges. One out to 4k with 500&1000yd range markers. One out to 7k with 1mile towers. Two Hogan's Alley type tank ranges with static tanks in ambush positions. Fighter and bomber air spawns for different activities like torpedo runs spawned in at 1250ft, 7k alt just to be above the drones or jabo and 15k for level bombing practice. Three CV fleets, one for bombing against a rapidly maneuvering fleet. Two traveling to intersect, pass, and return over a long distance for practicing ship to ship gunnery. PT interception spawns and shore batteries along the paths of all.

Offline you can pull up any terrain, disable object protection, and bomb your own airfield and town. There are guys who specialize in the fewest passes with a bomber box to get the most down on a field, town, and strat objects. With time you learn each object and the best way to make a level bombing pass. I'm fiddling around with something simple and elegant made of standard objects that when bombed, will give feed back but still give the novice simple landmarks guiding them into the pickle barrel. Burn, then rebuild in a few minutes. After that, it will be up to them to discover the nuances of level bombing all the standard game objects available online. I'm taking advantage of air spawns, vehicle and sea spawns to keep the boredom factor down land, sea and air. We can only carry standard ord loads offline versus the 10x factor for ammo which is boring when you want to spend more time making things go boom than the time getting there.

Oh and I've setup three slopes off one end of a runway which you can lower your wheels over, level your plane, kill the engine and bench stand shoot at the offline target. The three slopes only have small variances in angle but, not all fighter's main gear length is the same. If you fly auto level and pull the trigger, you slow down a bit and your zero for your guns changes from shooting to shooting during a single session. This will probably be the least used aspect of the terrain....... :O 

I've got to stop playing with the terrain exposed cliffs and ridges. It's too much fun painting a 3D land scape trying to make the cliffs and other formations look like places I've climbed.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 07:10:13 PM »
The bridges lod problem and building you guys some static bridge pieces for terrains is in my "mental" 2 do list. But I need to get the sounds converted and roughed in first with the new system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 09:00:03 PM »
maybe a balance of destroyable and non-destroyable bridges? I agree with destroyable bridges stop the fun, so just don't make them ALL destroyable? it is fun to blow up a bridge here and there.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 02:05:40 AM »
Thanks Waffle, great to hear that bridges are planned.

Captain1ma, it will likely just be a question of the terrain designer altering a number in the bridge's properties window to make it destroyable or not. However there may be a rule imposed regarding this for MA terrains by HTC. Unless there is some way for a player to know in advance whether a bridge can be destroyed he could end up wasting his ord on an indestructible object. My guess is they would be indestructible for MA terrains and designer's choice for other terrains.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 02:23:13 AM »
Thanks Waffle. Let me know if I can help. It's trickier then you might guess because of the approach and exit, and falling off the side. In AH2, either of these conditions can drop you through the terrain.

I agree Greebo. Although whichever bridge is released, a knowledgeable player should be able to deduce if it's a simple jabo target because of the lack of nearby GV access. I would also imagine it might be designated as destroyable on the CBM in some way.

Anyone vetting the oba file for indestructible bridges would be able to tell very quickly if a bridge wasn't set as a void or barrier for instance.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001