Author Topic: F4U Help  (Read 3645 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: F4U Help
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2015, 10:31:58 PM »
IIRC,and I dont fly corsairs but the 1A doesnt carry wing pylons unless ords are taken,the 1D has the pylons by default!

This would give that 10 mph difference,maybe??

:salute

PS: I'm betting it's closer to 8mph!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:34:01 PM by morfiend »

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2015, 10:39:52 PM »
The 1A is faster, sure,  but the Dhog accelerates faster in a short carrier fight. The Dhog uses its floating technique to climb and gain angles in turn fights with its lighter response feeling to win battles more quickly agaisnt defenders like KI84s, spits, niks, and 109s from the enemy bases. The Dhog is just a more aggressive and quick reaction fighter than the 1A in the CV fight.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:44:29 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2016, 12:41:24 AM »
to add to sustained turn performance for the F4U series:

all the F4U models F4U-1A, F4U-1C, F4U-1D and F4U-4 all have their best sustained turn rate with 2 notches of flaps out, once the 3rd notch of flaps is lowered it starts to degrade

this is not so with the F4U-1 model, to where once you drop the first set of Flaps, it's sustained turn rate will remain constant through out dropping each additional flap setting all the way to full flaps.... it is the only F4U model in the whole series that is different from the rest of them.

I relate it to being like this because of it being the most under powered of them all, yet I find knowing how to utilize this ability of the constant sustained turn rate through out 1 notches of flaps out all the way to all flaps out helps in surprising other players who fly spitfires, zeros, Hurri's and other plane models.....

I find setting trim to a manual trim setting of cruising speed ( roughly 320 to 330 IAS without wep ) and leaving it there, helps the F4U series ( all variants ) in regaining Energy faster, because the aircraft tends to pick up speed faster once the nose is pointed down without fighting against the combat trim ( relate it to unneeded Drag, my own personal opinion ).... players have tested this long ago, it is a very small advantage, but any advantage is good when trying to regain a split second over your opponent

I used to love flying the -1D model, even though my favorite has always been the -1..........but when the skins were updated and the big head armor protector was added in, I began to frown away from flying the -1D .....

Some Good points  FLS, Kingpin, Violator

and Morfiend, you are recalling correctly regarding the pylons

Nice discussion going on in this thread  :aok

Happy New Year! everyone

:cheers:

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2016, 04:11:46 AM »
Do you guys have to tell Elvis all this stuff ??? He is already a pain in the, shall we use the term.... "buttocks", when found in the MA !  :old:  :)
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2016, 02:03:05 PM »
Great info from everyone, I'm eatin this stuff up, anything I can learn to kill Pipz with is awesome.
One question though, I still get flap bounce / ballooning even after I turn combat trim off. I auto level at 325mph (tried 200 also), turn off combat trim and seem to have the same bounce when I deploy flaps.

Happy New Year to you all.... and yes, even Pipz.

Elvis

Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2016, 02:13:06 PM »
Great info from everyone, I'm eatin this stuff up, anything I can learn to kill Pipz with is awesome.
One question though, I still get flap bounce / ballooning even after I turn combat trim off. I auto level at 325mph (tried 200 also), turn off combat trim and seem to have the same bounce when I deploy flaps.

Happy New Year to you all.... and yes, even Pipz.

Elvis

Happy New Year, Elvis, Sir!

What did we plan? Monday or Tuesday afternoon, first of the week?

I'll go through the whole advance scaling options with you, first thing in our next 2 hour to 2 1/2 hour session....

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2016, 02:14:24 PM »
The way I look at it is; if the nose is ballooning up you are to fast for that flap setting. Try to be just a little slower before dropping a notch of flaps and that should help reduce the amount of ballooning you're experiencing.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2016, 02:23:45 PM »
Sik nailed it pretty much spot on....

Sounds like you might be using that 2nd notch of flaps way to soon, while at to high rate of speed...(and possibly more notches of flaps)

TC

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2016, 02:50:00 PM »

It's normal for flap extension to change your pitch attitude. If you trim nose down as you extend the flaps that will help.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2016, 11:58:27 AM »
The 1A is faster, sure,  but the Dhog accelerates faster in a short carrier fight. The Dhog uses its floating technique to climb and gain angles in turn fights with its lighter response feeling to win battles more quickly agaisnt defenders like KI84s, spits, niks, and 109s from the enemy bases. The Dhog is just a more aggressive and quick reaction fighter than the 1A in the CV fight.
The Dhog can also be more "camouflaged" in that it will be underestimated far more than a -1 or 1A. If you see thise two, you know the pilot came just to fight. With the D, you might mistakenly assume they chose it for ground attack primarily. Not that it's easy to surprise people in a Corsair anymore, but still...
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2016, 03:57:44 PM »
-1 is the best.
See Rule #4

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »
ROFL... Elvis got his first cheat accusation....congrats

nice work Sik1...

to funny

TC
That's an in game achievement isn't it?  ("One with the haxxor" or something right?)
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org