Author Topic: Windows 10 - The Force is rebooting me  (Read 17616 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Windows 10 - The Force is rebooting me
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2016, 05:48:50 AM »
Killing Windowns 7/8 telemetry is as simple as removing a few updates.  Not so simple with Windows 10.

See my hints and tips post: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,71591.msg4998528.html#msg4998528
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2016, 11:35:43 AM »
The only thing I had to do was to kill webroot antivirus/malware to get spybot antobeacon to close down
Win10 telemetry and bring webroot up again.

At least until next update  :aok
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Snork

• Copper Member
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2016, 05:08:21 PM »
To follow up on my prior post in this thread, I have now re-loaded W10 on my 6 year old Pentium dual core laptop(it had bricked during the SP upgrade some months back in 10 so I had formatted and loaded Ubuntu). I am impressed! It is now much faster than it was with W7 or Ubuntu! If it keeps up the good work I may just go ahead and upgrade my desk top gamer.

Flying as Noser

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2016, 06:57:00 AM »
When I hear people say W10 is faster than W7, I have to pause for a moment.  We have a W10 box in the office running on a 3.6Ghz i7-4790 CPU and it boots slower than the W7, 3.2Ghz Core 2 system sitting next to it.  Much slower.  It is a default installation of W10 (from a W10 Pro disk) as is the W7 system.

I often wonder what people do to make their W7 computers boot so slowly if W10 is booting faster for them.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2016, 08:32:02 AM »
I often wonder what people do to make their W7 computers boot so slowly if W10 is booting faster for them.

One possible answer is that upgrading to Windows 10 removes much of the crapware preinstalled in <enter brand here> computers. Plus it may do the same for many other programs installed by the user, including anti-virus programs. Chrome seems to be on their to-be-removed list, too, especially at major Edge updates. Getting rid of background activity, including those that the user might find necessary, makes any computer boot and run faster. You know that, I know that, and now all of the readers of this post know that, too.  :evil:
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2016, 07:06:06 PM »
I find that after turning off Windows X "fast startup" it may even boot more slowly than 7.  Windows X doesn't actually shut down, it goes into a form of hibernation.  This hibernation has lead to problems with multi-boot systems that turning off the "fast startup" seems to fix.
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2016, 07:19:27 PM »
I've been running win10 for awhile now, and i've messed about with fastboot on and off and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. It boots into windows before my monitor even gets past the BenQ logo screen, windows 7 from what I recall was about the same. But, I'm running a higher end machine than most. YMMV

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2016, 08:10:09 PM »
When I hear people say W10 is faster than W7, I have to pause for a moment.  We have a W10 box in the office running on a 3.6Ghz i7-4790 CPU and it boots slower than the W7, 3.2Ghz Core 2 system sitting next to it.  Much slower.  It is a default installation of W10 (from a W10 Pro disk) as is the W7 system.

I have two windows 7 laptops which have bloatware from the vendor but also have my AH2 machine which is a home-built with a clean install of Windows 7. Aside from microsoft word and excel, I don't have much else installed on it except for some utility programs (for removing drivers, etc) but all 3 boot much slower than the desktop I upgraded to Win 10. So it's not just the computer vendor bloatware. The worrisome thing is that laptops now can't seem to get the monthly windows updates. Update still works for my AH2 machine. I wonder if Microsoft is screwing with our windows 7 machines to get us to move to 10.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2016, 11:44:12 PM »

and I often wonder what people do to make their W10 computers boot so slowly if Win7 is booting faster for them.

Can't have anything to do with messing with system registries I'm sure.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2016, 06:49:35 AM »
Latrobe, they are box stock.

Yes Bizman, bloatware definitely will contribute to slow boot times, but most people did upgrades to Windows 10, which still leaves the bloatware intact.  There are also those systems which were not maintained properly, which the upgrade could fix as well.  If the latter is the reason, then I'll never be able to duplicate it.

The hibernation angle might be something to look at.  Maybe the upgrade is enabling hibernation while the full install does not.  That could have a placebo effect on the boot times (i.e. not really doing a full boot, just looking like it is).

I am going to look further into it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2016, 07:29:59 AM »
--- bloatware definitely will contribute to slow boot times, but most people did upgrades to Windows 10, which still leaves the bloatware intact.---

Does the upgrade process actually leave the bloatware intact? I only have performed the upgrade once or twice, so I can't remember for sure if the installation leaves the list of removed programs on the desktop. It definitely does so if you run the "non-destructive" reinstall.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2016, 07:46:24 AM »
Latrobe, they are box stock.

And you failed to list anything other than what CPU each build uses, and not even a specific CPU on the Win7 build. Are they running on Hard Drives? SSDs? Different Hard Drive/SSD for each build? What else is on the Hard Drive/SSD? What programs are to open up on startup? What other parts are even in the builds? You left out a ton of crucial info that all plays a part in how fast your PC is, and something is telling me that you left it out intentionally.

BTW, It's been a few months now since I updated to Win10 and it fixed all the issues I was having with Win7. You said that I never fixed the problems and that they would arise again. Well I'm still waiting for my PC to break on me. How long am I suppose to wait?

Offline RagingPineapple

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2016, 09:12:18 AM »
     Also to be noted are what programs Windows 10, as well as programs installed with hardware drivers, are set to run on startup. On my new build, the first reboot after all the drivers and programs were installed was painfully long, but after I disabled a lot of the high tasking programs in the "startup" tab of the task manager, my boot is now less than 15 seconds from start to finish.

Windows 10 is a very light weight OS and runs amazingly fast and smooth, even on my cheap HDD. You just sometimes have to take a look at the simpler things that might be slowing it down first.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2016, 11:32:42 AM »
The boxes are stock.  They both use the same hard drives.  Neither has any applications, except Aces High, installed.  They are straight forward OEM installations of the OS's with all Microsoft updates installed.

In operation, I have not found Windows 10 to be slower or faster than Windows 7.  Then again, it is a limited set of data.

Boot times for Windows 10 is around 28 to 30 seconds.  Windows 7 is around 19 to 22 seconds.  Odd thing was, it was booting faster, then after an update, it started booting slower and has leveled off.

I'll say it again.  These are stock installations of the full OEM OS's.  No changes whatsoever to either of them.

Latrobe, I said if the source of the problems were not fixed, they would come back.  You seem to think the source was Windows 7.  It was not.  There was something else which caused your Windows 7 box problems.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2016, 12:00:05 PM »
Well I put some neosporin and a bandaid on my CPU so it should be fine now.