Author Topic: Why do so many people believe the U.S. hasn't went to the Moon or even space?  (Read 13749 times)

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
I've been running into people lately who believe we haven't been to the Moon or even space.  In the last two cases, these were college educated people working in an engineering/technology field.  One guy claims that radiation would kill anyone trying to go to the Moon.  And that the U.S. has only achieved low earth orbit (though we have sent robots to the moon). 

The second guy was teaching a seminar on how to use an x-ray fluorescence instrument.  He said we hadn't been to the Moon too.  I would have questioned him more but I needed to know how to use the instrument.  He also claimed to be a "flat earther".  I simply replied with "Oh".

Then there are people who say we haven't been back to the Moon because of aliens.  One nutjob astronaut (Apollo 17) has been claiming that aliens have been stopping nuclear war on Earth, and I believe he is contributing to that conspiracy.

So is it mental illness, ignorance, a combination of the two, or something entirely different?  I read once that people who believe in conspiracy theories are low on the neurotransmitter serotonin. 

Ironically, two of the people who believe aliens have prevented us from going back to the Moon also believe that 9-11 was an inside job.  They are also veterans (one a M1 tank commander in Desert Storm, another a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy). 
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
The number is very few. There are always folks who do not believe facts.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline WaffenVW

• Nickel Member
Mental illness. A form of paranoia.

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
I find that instead of questioning why people think the way they do it is best to accept the fact that as a species we are doomed. Just Enjoy Aces High until then.  :old:  :D
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Extremely smart people can also be eerily stupid.

I know one of these.  An Engineer, worked on NASA projects.  He'll help his grandkids (of all ages) with complex math problems... they take them back to school with attached work, and the teachers/professors can't figure out how he got the correct solution to the problem.  It's hilarious.  Nothing short of a mathematical genius.

Take this guy and watch him in ANY social setting.... he's dumber than a box of rocks.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline WaffenVW

• Nickel Member
I.e. he's got Asperger's.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
I'm about 95% in believing we went there.   Like most things the government tells me,  I can't take their word it's 100% truth. 

Unlikely, but not impossible that it didn't happen.   :noid

Capricorn One.   Just sayin'    :bolt:
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline WaffenVW

• Nickel Member
100% impossible that the USSR wouldn't have ratted NASA out if they faked it.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Maybe they didn't know.   Tracking satellites was likely not as easy as it is now.   
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Because some people are nutjobs, plain and simple
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline WaffenVW

• Nickel Member
Maybe they didn't know.   Tracking satellites was likely not as easy as it is now.

There is only one way you can pick up radio and TV signals from the Moon, and it's not aliens. Someone has to go there and transmit them.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
They must have been two of the five subscribers to Conspiracy Theory.  Odd how you know so many of them.   :noid
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
The number is very few. There are always folks who do not believe facts.

"Opinion polls taken in various locations have shown that between 6% and 20% of Americans and 28% of Russians surveyed believe that the manned landings were faked."
from  Wikipedia   ;Moon landing conspiracy theories https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_landing_conspiracy_theories

''between 6% and 20%"   from 318 million USA population= between 19.08 and 63.6 million Americans believe that the manned landings were faked    

interesting videos; http://www.apfn.org/apfn/moon.htm

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:38:29 PM by ghi »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
On another note, people who are conspiracy vulnerable usually subscribe to multiple conspiracies so it is not unexpected that the people you talk to who think we didn't go to the moon also believe other nonsense.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-