Author Topic: CraterMA  (Read 11962 times)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
Re: CraterMA
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2016, 02:22:43 PM »
If you re-read my post, you will see that I am commenting on the quoted text.  I wish I could also try out the new terrain to comment further, but my hardware can't handle AH3.  Once AH3 replaces AH2, I will have to stop playing unless/until I build a new PC. 

MH

If your rig is not too old and you have a PCI express 3 slot,  a new video card should be enough to handle AH3.  AH3 uses GPU.

GL,
Mano
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2016, 02:53:30 PM »
This TT object is not your old GVing and the trees have changed that. If high elevation sniping is so important to you, see if you can talk Greebo into making a map to suit your fancy. Or, the AH3 terrain editor is not that hard to learn with Greebo and Easycor's help.

Well, thanks for the heads-up.  I still stand by my comments for Greebo, though, as they would still be valid. 

BTW, a friend of mine has a reasonably recent PC, and maybe I could install the beta on it to see what you're talking about.  If I did this, how would I access the terrain you are referring to, which would illustrate what can/can't be seen?

If your rig is not too old and you have a PCI express 3 slot,  a new video card should be enough to handle AH3.  AH3 uses GPU.

Nope.  The hardware, including the graphics card, is about 13-14 years old.  Manufacturers switched to PCIE just after I bought it.   :(  Of course, I need to build a new PC, which would be my first.  It's not a money issue, but a procrastination issue.  I have all sorts of web resources to help me do it (like PCPartPicker, the Reddit "buildapc" forum, RSI recommended system specs, etc.  ). 

MH
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:11:10 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2016, 03:27:10 AM »
Well, thanks for the heads-up.  I still stand by my comments for Greebo, though, as they would still be valid. 

I will have another look at CraterMA TT today keeping your suggestions in mind.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:59:39 AM by Greebo »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »
Greebo on my terrain download for Copperhd in the post titled Copperhd, spawn to the N at A1 then drive over to TT down the slope I put in for that. About 3000yds out from the first tank in TT on top of a clear lightly tree'd hill is an open area for sniping. Take a look from there, then spawn to TT and look back up to it through the cover of trees on the road where the spawn places you. Remember the slope angles and amount of tree coverage to gradient. I would have to paint in the 160ft tall pines to get a thick coverage for hiding while sniping. Though I wonder if the Pacific terrain will have a denser tree coverage on steep slopes. You can extend out a geographic feature of a cliff as a rock remnant from runoff since you have those lake runoff basins. On that down slope to my TT you will see a cliff cutback like that which I used the blue and green rock tile to show a cliff face and runoff slide. Even up in the trees above on the rim I created, snipers will be exposed more than their targets down in the TT trees. And if you bring the elevation to the edge of the cliff, they cannot get enough down angle to shoot down into TT. The terrain editor seems to force you into a slight down angle before the cliff drop to accomplish allowing say a panther to aim down into the TT. And then the panther is fully exposed to lower tanks hiding in the trees. 

Right now you have focused the fight in the TT object because of the density of trees and a realistic geographic terrain. That is what Waffle created the object to do. When we tested it last year the cover was enough to allow hiding and back shooting but, exclude long range sniping into it. Maybe Waffle didn't like your TT setup on the AH2 CraterMA.

At some point AH3 needs to move on with everything Hitech is giving it to allow for a more real world actuality. For instance that last version of my terrain is different than the one you tested a month ago. I continued refining the geographic features with the real world in mind aside from my giant ditch exercise which got more attention to practice some points you spoke about. I'm thinking I need to revise it one more time before AH3 goes live.

You have a great Caldera there, geographically on that grass and tree slope between the Vbase and TT, because of the trees and grass existing on topsoil, age wise tell you how stable the area is. You would have a few remnant harder strata drop-offs, even later tiny caldera peaks from later eruptions. Think Serengeti crater, or maybe you took a vacation there once. :O

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2016, 03:48:35 PM »
A long time ago I designed the caldera as a fighter town, with airbases on the upper step and V bases down below. Then HTC banned fighter town arrangements in MA terrains, so now it just serves as a deterrent for planes attacking tank town. I vaguely recall researching calderas at the time I was designing it, the stepped crater being characteristic of very large ones. I suspect it is too tall relative to its diameter to be realistic though.

I've decided not to make major changes to the existing layout but I have raised the inner ring of SPs about 75 feet above the TT object and placed patches of forest over them. The land directly between the SPs is lower and covered in open farmland and villages so there is a fairly clear field of fire between the SPs, which are about a mile apart. I've added some forested hills on the shore lines of the area so GVs wanting to go from one SP to another can either go through the TT object, around the coast via the forested hills or risk the exposed direct route.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2016, 04:06:04 PM »
SP = later small eruption caldera.

:salute
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2016, 04:28:39 PM »
The current AH2 CraterMA has several calderas in the main crater, they form part of the border cliffs for the routes between the bases. The new SP mounds are just low hills really, if they were calderas it was a long time ago.

The big crater is fashioned after a meteor strike impact rather than a giant volcano like Yellowstone. There's a line of smaller strikes and volcanoes running off to the south. In a previous incarnation of the weather system which allowed clouds to move vertically as well as horizontally I had one of the volcanoes erupting every hour or so.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:37:31 PM by Greebo »

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2016, 05:00:37 PM »
Greebo, I got my friend to download the AH3 beta, and it's installed.  I plan to go out there Friday, so I can see if Bustr's opinion of vehicle invisibility holds true on my friend's machine.  Where do I get the most recent ZIP of your terrain files?

Mark H. 

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2016, 07:12:22 PM »
Normally you'd go online, select the Melee tab and click on "Greebo's CraterMA". However I am assuming you may not want to enter your account details into his PC so I have attached the latest file to this post. Just place this in the beta's ah3terr folder and it should appear in the list of offline terrains.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2016, 12:01:08 PM »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2016, 12:45:01 PM »
I think this is more likely to be a problem with the large V field object, rather than the map. Does the same bunker on a different large V field have the same problem?

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2016, 12:49:14 PM »
I think this is more likely to be a problem with the large V field object, rather than the map. Does the same bunker on a different large V field have the same problem?

No idea?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2016, 01:25:09 PM »
Upped at A46 in a K4 flying around, noticed on landing that at the south end of the N/S runway, trees were right at the edge of the end of the runway.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2016, 01:40:12 PM »
Guys remember to use .psave. It is active in all arenas including offline and is an excellent debug tool for giving exact coordinates of issues on terrains.

.psave myfilename

Greebo, CraterMa on the long runway you have several 160ft tall pines blocking one end.

55757,2107,179013,0.0,0.3,-0.0
craterma
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »
Those trees are built into every mid sized airfield and there are also similar trees at one end of every small field's grass strip. I have removed all the trees that I can from runways and in front of SBs using texture painting, but only HTC can remove the ones that are built into the airfield objects.