Author Topic: Planet X found  (Read 2237 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Planet X found
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 01:14:25 AM »
you guys talking about betty again?  yes she's back in the game/

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 08:11:54 AM »
They haven't discovered it, they just see evidence for it.  Not even close to the same thing.

They also just had evidence for the Higgs Bozon....And we see how that turned out....
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline WaffenVW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 08:37:06 AM »
We have sensors that could find it.

What sensor?

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 08:43:54 AM »
Telescopes.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline WaffenVW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 09:32:33 AM »
We can't see dark bodies that far out beyond Pluto's orbit with telescopes.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 10:31:49 AM »
I'm not so sure about this.  I have a problem believing that the eccentric orbit of a planet this size would not have disrupted the Earth orbit by now.  15,000 year orbits go by pretty quick on a solar system scale.  There would have been so many opportunities for a close pass to have pulled Earth out of it's current orbit by now.  All scientific evidence shows that the earth has had a stable orbit for the past 3 billion years, since the gigantic collision that formed out moon from the Earth impact debris.

I called my brother-in-law, Michael Cassutt, author, space historian, and guest speaker on many-many Discovery, Nova and History channel contributing expert.  This guy knows his stuff, he's one of the guys the networks call and then put on TV when they need an outside expert commentator.

He laughed and said, "Yes I know what you are talking about and the entire theory is not only ridiculous but also impossible.  It would have disrupted the solar system and we would not be here."

But hey, you guys are having fun, don't let the laws of physics and celestial mechanics stop you now.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 10:34:36 AM »
From the above link:

The orbit of the inferred planet is similarly tilted, as well as stretched to distances that will explode previous conceptions of the solar system. Its closest approach to the sun is seven times farther than Neptune, or 200 astronomical units (AUs). (An AU is the distance between Earth and the sun, about 150 million kilometers.) And Planet X could roam as far as 600 to 1200 AU, well beyond the Kuiper belt, the region of small icy worlds that begins at Neptune’s edge about 30 AU.

Brown knows that no one will really believe in the discovery until Planet X itself appears within a telescope viewfinder. “Until there’s a direct detection, it’s a hypothesis—even a potentially very good hypothesis,” he says.

They haven't found anything.  Unless that planet just happens to be on the close side of its 200AU to 1200AU orbit, we might not actually find it for thousands of years, as orbits that large are measured in 10s of thousands of years.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 10:39:32 AM »
I'm not so sure about this.  I have a problem believing that the eccentric orbit of a planet this size would not have disrupted the Earth orbit by now.  15,000 year orbits go by pretty quick on a solar system scale.  There would have been so many opportunities for a close pass to have pulled Earth out of it's current orbit by now.  All scientific evidence shows that the earth has had a stable orbit for the past 3 billion years, since the gigantic collision that formed out moon from the Earth impact debris.

I called my brother-in-law, Michael Cassutt, author, space historian, and guest speaker on many-many Discovery, Nova and History channel contributing expert.  This guy knows his stuff, he's one of the guys the networks call and then put on TV when they need an outside expert commentator.

He laughed and said, "Yes I know what you are talking about and the entire theory is not only ridiculous but also impossible.  It would have disrupted the solar system and we would not be here."

But hey, you guys are having fun, don't let the laws of physics and celestial mechanics stop you now.

Yep, If the estimations are right it would be the fourth largest planet in the solar system. At that distance it would have no significant effect whatsoever.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 02:29:01 PM »
 Not related with planet x, but interesting video I just watched; mini tsunami south of Seattle,WA along Pacific coast ; I understand was recorded Monday this week ,without warning; a buoy located few hundreds miles west in ocean was in alert mode about same time,; maybe just a tide .

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/2016/01/19/mini-tsunami-along-washington-coast-caught-camera/79040658/

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 02:34:54 PM by ghi »

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 02:57:23 PM »
As far as I am concerned, Pluto is still planet number 9.  So planet X would be number 10.  Just like the "X" being used to describe it.
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 03:26:43 PM »
The problem with that is that if Pluto is a planet the this will be Planet 200 or something like that. Pluto is now a dwarf planet and there are several others out there too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_planet

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »
What sensor?

Radio telescopes, which is one of the reasons we were supposed to build a permanent station on the moon. The Large Lunar Baseline Array would have mapped out heavy bodies within our solar system, which may have led to our awareness of any pending extinction type event. All that was killed with the stroke of a pen.

Anyway, radio interferometry is how you find otherwise invisible objects. It would take some time, but we have 15,000 years or whatever the time limit is on extinction.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline WaffenVW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2016, 11:08:58 PM »
Unfortunately radio telescopes can only detect bodies which emit radiation at radio wavelengths. Maybe this hypothetical gas giant is massive enough to do that, but smaller bodies don't. It's not a space radar.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 12:09:56 AM »
If it has a magnetic field then it can be detected. But at any rate your statement is misleading, because radio interferometry comes in more than a single flavor. Aperture synthesis however can work miracles when you consider even dark bodies, but they do not work well in an atmosphere, which is why they were chosen for the planned (now canceled) lunar array. The nature of this type of interferometry is why the term "baseline" is in the project title. The moon would be an ideal location for such an array.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.