Author Topic: Custom Sounds.  (Read 16726 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Custom Sounds.
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2016, 05:36:05 PM »
Challenge,

You might have just hit upon a future app for AH3 users.  Let's call it a "Sound Pack Mixer".  It would basically allow relatively low tech savvy users to choose which existing Fmod sound profiles to update, and then run them.   :pray  Would be extremely helpful in creating and updating custom Sound Packs as well.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2016, 05:50:01 PM »
The way I read what you just posted is potentially (IS in fact) a violation of the EULA. Only HTC can say for sure. Building something is probably okay. Taking something apart is a violation. It's the simplest view, which is usually the safest.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2016, 03:47:10 PM »
Looks like I've missed a lot since I was last here.

Anyway, I'm working on a pack for all Merlin-equipped aircraft at this very moment in full stereo, so I'll see if fmod studio can give me what I need to properly display everything in-game.

Edit: So, here's something... how exactly does one input all the necessary sounds? I have four RPM increments per engine (both internal and external, making eight sounds total for a running engine), one startup (internal and external), and one shutdown (as with the last two). Are there specific file names we have to abide by, as in the previous versions of the game, or does it matter now?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 04:20:16 PM by Fruda »

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2016, 08:42:26 AM »
First pass at creating user sounds.

Step one.

Download FMOD Studio Authoring Tool
http://www.fmod.org/download/

Step 2
Download the attached zip file and unzip it into your Hitech Creations\Aces High Beta Game\CustomSounds folder

Step 3.
Start FMOD Studio and open the file
  CustomSounds\FmodProjects\CustomSounds\CustomSounds.fspr

Next in  FMOD Studio menu item Edit/Preferences
Select the Build tab and ensure you are pointed at your  Hitech Creations\Aces High Beta Game\CustomSounds folder

Step 4. In FMOD Select File/Build

If all went correctly there now should be a folder Hitech Creations\Aces High Beta Game\CustomSounds\Desktop
and when you start AH you should here something different beside the title music.

Do to the way fmod works you can NOT change any of the buss & group structure.

We also have include our complete fmod project under   CustomSounds\FmodProjects\HTCEvents

We have only include the complete structure , do to copywrite issues we can not ship any of the raw sound files.
NEVER modify the HTCEvents project and try use it,

You can copy from the HTCEvents project and Past in your CustomSound project to get basic events structures and varables.

If you wish to disable your custom sounds, simple rename or delete the CustomSound\Desktop folder. Building the project will recreat this folder.

After you have successfully run the installation test you can delete the default/title0 or change the sound file of the event to any sound or mp3 you have.

It will always be best to start with a new effect by copying one from the HTCEvent project.
All events must be assigned to the correct group for the environmental changes we do.

Plane Overides.

If you wish to do custom engines on a single plane you simple make the xxx/interal event in a folder of the plane name.

As example if you wish to modify the p51b sound you would create a folder called p51b at the same level as the default folder.

Then put your custom events in there instead of the default folder.

fi156 m3 tiger2 and sdk251 are examples of this in the HTCEvents project.

FMOD as been starting to work on a system meant directly for user created content, I think we are the first to try let users create it.

ALSO REMEMBER THAT YOU MUST ASSIGN YOUR EVENT TO THE CORRECT BANK.

HiTech
:airplane: Guess I am dumb, but why not just make "Mitsu" sound pack the default sound pack for the game! Why go through all these steps to get correct sounds, when Mitsu already have them? I have used his sound pack and its as close as you will get to the real thing, because the sounds are from real a/c and etc!!!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2016, 10:38:18 AM »
There's no dumb questions, only dumb answers. Here's one: Not all people like a certain sound pack for various reasons. That's why some people like to mix various sound packs.

So Mitsu has recorded the authentic sounds. If it only was that simple! You say that it's as close as can get, however a very small percentage of us uses the same audio equipment as you to start with. Headphones, closed or open, or semi, or even buttons? Or loudspeakers - HiFi or gaming or the cheapest plastic thingys? Stereo, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1? Built-in sound circuit, USB, a real sound card or an external DAC? So although your system reproduces the most authentic sounds using Mitsu's sounds, someone else might find them hollow and tinny or muddy and boomy. Also, sound packs containing inside and outside clips for each and every plane might be too much for a lesser computer many players use. If you had to choose between authentic sounds and playable frame rates, which one would you choose for yourself? Which one would you choose if you were the salesperson for HTC, trying to maximize the number of happy players?

Did all these question give you any sort of an answer?  :cheers:

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2016, 02:33:49 PM »
Earl,

You have completely missed the major difference between FMod sounds and current AH2 soundpacks.  The quickest response to that from me is that the current sound system gives you events.  Then those events are applied in the game using the proper audio physics within limitations.

In AH2 there was a sound file that would, speed up, slow down, or change L and R positioning.  The current events can introduce exhaust sounds and changes for example, or backfire sounds if desired.  On top of the multitude of added nuances it also takes up a fraction of the game "memory" if I recall correctly.

Lastly, I can appreciate your fondness for a soundpack.  Fortunately, there is nothing preventing such soundpacks from being recreated, but even then they will not be applied in the same manner as in AH2.  Hopefully, this helps you to better appreciate that HiTech Creations has made a bold step forward with FMod, and they have done nothing to stop anyone from adding sounds.  In fact, they have encouraged anyone to do so by giving us a walkthrough.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2016, 03:56:24 PM »
Looks like I've missed a lot since I was last here.

Anyway, I'm working on a pack for all Merlin-equipped aircraft at this very moment in full stereo, so I'll see if fmod studio can give me what I need to properly display everything in-game.

Edit: So, here's something... how exactly does one input all the necessary sounds? I have four RPM increments per engine (both internal and external, making eight sounds total for a running engine), one startup (internal and external), and one shutdown (as with the last two). Are there specific file names we have to abide by, as in the previous versions of the game, or does it matter now?

can't wait to hear it fruda,  I've always been a loyal listener to all of your merlins!    :cheers:
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2016, 07:47:31 AM »
Earl,

You have completely missed the major difference between FMod sounds and current AH2 soundpacks.  The quickest response to that from me is that the current sound system gives you events.  Then those events are applied in the game using the proper audio physics within limitations.

In AH2 there was a sound file that would, speed up, slow down, or change L and R positioning.  The current events can introduce exhaust sounds and changes for example, or backfire sounds if desired.  On top of the multitude of added nuances it also takes up a fraction of the game "memory" if I recall correctly.

Lastly, I can appreciate your fondness for a soundpack.  Fortunately, there is nothing preventing such soundpacks from being recreated, but even then they will not be applied in the same manner as in AH2.  Hopefully, this helps you to better appreciate that HiTech Creations has made a bold step forward with FMod, and they have done nothing to stop anyone from adding sounds.  In fact, they have encouraged anyone to do so by giving us a walkthrough.
:airplane: Wish I knew and understand how the sound packs affect the game...guess I am spoiled with this rig I have, which is a top of the line graphic's card and expensive computer and a 43 inch monitor with dual speakers and a headset for some of the on line missions I organize! But the bottom line is that I am a computer dumbie and at my age, not really interested in spending a lot of time learning stuff! I just enjoy and love the game!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2016, 12:08:20 PM »
Well said Earl, just be patient the sounds will get sorted out eventually. Right now the effort is on getting the program live. :cheers:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2016, 03:34:29 PM »
There is also copyright issue with the sounds. If it isn't clear who owns/payed for them HTC won't include them in the game as part of the game. What other do for add-ons is something else tho.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2016, 05:23:36 PM »
can't wait to hear it fruda,  I've always been a loyal listener to all of your merlins!    :cheers:

Thanks; I have no doubt you'll like the latest one far more than the previous, considering how much higher the sound quality is. Full engine runs from inside and outside the cockpit in 44.1khz stereo. I'm also in the process of working on all other engines that are used in the game, and progress is steady.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »
Fruda do you have an anticipated completion date on the sound package?  :pray
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2016, 06:21:33 PM »
Fruda do you have an anticipated completion date on the sound package?  :pray

Fruda,
You are the man!  I just want to send you some go juice!  Name your beverage.  I am not concerned with the release date, only that you enjoy yourself while doing it.  These things are a labor of love, and it shows.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2016, 11:23:45 PM »
Rolls Royce and Daimler-Benz sounds are done, guys. The release date is whenever I get all the information necessary to make them work in the game.

As far as how they sound? Let's just say that in FSX and Il-2, they sound like the real thing. Once they're released for the new version of AH, you can reference them yourselves with cockpit cams from the respective aircraft... you won't be disappointed.

Edit: Also, thanks for the offer! I'm drinking a bottle of Tyrconnell as of this very moment. I won't lie by saying I don't like a good drink!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 11:27:34 PM by Fruda »

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2016, 11:37:54 PM »
To increase anticipation, I have source material for every inline and radial aircraft engine used in-game. Next on the production list is the Pratt & Whitney R-2800.

It's been a long time, but it's good to be back. That being said, I won't be flying until I know how to get the sounds to work. Shame, that.