Author Topic: Two things... maybe three  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Two things... maybe three
« on: February 01, 2016, 09:07:08 PM »
Do enough people know this is FREE OPEN BETA?  I don't see more than 3 people online when I am on testing.

Also, do you REALLY think this mouse commander stuff is beneficial?  HT, do you fly with a mouse much?  Do you really think a new guy coming to this game is going to make that crap work easier than exact hand movements?  It seems like adding another layer to the cake with key mapping, and buttons to hit, just to have some fun.  Isn't there enough to learn in this game without all the fine tuning?

We should get a couple of guys together, fight in mouse commander mode, and see what the film looks like.  My guess is a bunch a fish on land.

It seems like two guys having a fight in mouse commander mode would make a guy puke. if they dont auger first.  Even watching it from a 3rd party would have the same result.

The game looks sweet, I cant believe more aren't trying it. 

Thanks for your hard work, i am confident it will be an A+ product when it is released.  :cheers:

Hope to see you cut some of the crap that doesn't matter, you started by removing the sand paper cockpit glass.

Keep it simple, stupid, is a saying that comes to mind.  There is enough going on in this game where some of this stuff just isnt needed.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Two things... maybe three
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 10:39:03 PM »
Maybe commander mode will be easier for newbies flying bombers.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 11:26:13 PM »
Do enough people know this is FREE OPEN BETA?  I don't see more than 3 people online when I am on testing.

I noticed that HTC has now posted  "Aces High III Beta is now open"  Jan 19th.......severaldays ago or so, on the Aces high Home Front Page

I also noticed the other day, where one of the HTC Staff was looking to contact the apropriate "PR contacts" over at SimHQ..................

just assuming, they might be ramping up for advertising, perhaps......

they probably got their "game plan" already to go and will execute it as they have in a timely manner.......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not sure what you can do about the Mouse issues you have recognized, can you not set it to the way it is in the current game?

I'm sure someone more familar with the mouse use capabilities and using a mouse to fly / play he game will pop in and offer you a better reply, Lazer

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:32:39 AM »
Lazer if you see me online give me a yell.  Usually when I go in I have the same problem.  I can't understand it, we've always had a blast in Beta just fighting.

It gives one a chance to practice in aircraft they don't usually use.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 08:39:54 AM »
Sounds good Hajo!

I just dont think much time was spend on how efficient the mouse system is, as most people really don't care.  :D

It would be great to have some of the simple mouse buttons already mapped for new players when they log into the game.  The learning curve is steep enough, and typically guys flying with a mouse haven't been a part of this type of game previously.  If we are going to try and hook some of the younger generation on this game, we are going to have to make things as easy as possible.

I have a great system i use, where i move the mouse to control my plane (free style), left click to shoot primary guns, right click to shoot all guns, and mouse wheel to control throttle.

I use the mouse button on the side to toggle WEP, but I have set it as the 6 call before too.

I know there is a lot of other things going on with this update,  I just wanted to put my two cents in particularly on this topic, as I have been using mouse controls for the last 15 years here.  I think it is very important to get some new blood hooked.  I am sure once they are hooked, they will wise up and buy a joystick, but I am just stuck in my ways.  :D

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 11:31:29 AM »
Has anyone hooked up a game pad to see if the mini joysticks will work to fly planes?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 06:27:15 PM »
Has anyone hooked up a game pad to see if the mini joysticks will work to fly planes?

I have a mini joystick on my CH Throttle.  I have no idea what to do with it.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 06:58:06 PM »
I actually set mine up to work like a 4 way hat.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 05:59:07 AM »
I actually set mine up to work like a 4 way hat.

yep, Drano was the one to convince me to do mine the same way iirc...... also that mini joystick is the mode switcher for the throttle, changes modes when you press it down like a button

both the CH Pro Throttle and the CH Fighter stick has 3 modes each, seperate from the 4 modes in Aces High

that is a whole lotta button programming that can be done, if one's mind is capable to remember all of it ( something like over 188 programmable commands iirc )

regarding Lazer's mouse use and programming mouses..... I've seen a good amount of newer gaming mouses that have anywhere from 6 to 24 programmable buttons, wheels, etc...... my current mouse has 8 buttons itself.....

maybe there is a way to include some of the more popular gaming mouse types, like Aces High includes some of the joysticks? to give those new players that use mouses for gaming in other games, a chance to program their's for Aces high ( just thinking out loud here )

TC

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 07:02:12 AM »
I go online to find two people in the arena and no one in-flight.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 10:47:23 AM »

maybe there is a way to include some of the more popular gaming mouse types, like Aces High includes some of the joysticks? to give those new players that use mouses for gaming in other games, a chance to program their's for Aces high ( just thinking out loud here )

TC
AH Should recognize all the buttons. We simply do not supply default options for them.

HiTech

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 11:45:41 AM »
Usually those gaming mice have programming software that'll let you do that with the buttons. Heck without looking at it I'm pretty sure mine is a Logitech 4-button with a wheel. Pretty plain Jane, but the software will let me set up a profile for AH where I could have additional macros set up and use the mouse buttons in addition to my CH rig while playing.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »
So no one has tested a game pad's joystick to see if you can fly planes with it in the game?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 10:28:24 PM »

Also, do you REALLY think this mouse commander stuff is beneficial?  HT, do you fly with a mouse much?  Do you really think a new guy coming to this game is going to make that crap work easier than exact hand movements?  It seems like adding another layer to the cake with key mapping, and buttons to hit, just to have some fun.  Isn't there enough to learn in this game without all the fine tuning?

We should get a couple of guys together, fight in mouse commander mode, and see what the film looks like.  My guess is a bunch a fish on land.

It seems like two guys having a fight in mouse commander mode would make a guy puke. if they dont auger first.  Even watching it from a 3rd party would have the same result.

The game looks sweet, I cant believe more aren't trying it. 

Thanks for your hard work, i am confident it will be an A+ product when it is released.  :cheers:

Hope to see you cut some of the crap that doesn't matter, you started by removing the sand paper cockpit glass.

Keep it simple, stupid, is a saying that comes to mind.  There is enough going on in this game where some of this stuff just isnt needed.

I actually didnt know until I seen this post. Maybe this should be posted in the GD forum also for visibility.

I logged in the arena and sitting at 31 fps in the tower, but also turned all features off and set everything to least detail for it to get there, otherwise I would be about 20 fps constant
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 11:19:12 PM »
AH Should recognize all the buttons. We simply do not supply default options for them.

HiTech

any reason?  if you can program "mouse commander" mode, i would assume you could program a solid default mouse button mode?