Author Topic: can a video card be reset ?  (Read 657 times)

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
can a video card be reset ?
« on: March 11, 2016, 04:11:34 PM »
first of all plz be kind because I feel stupid enough as it is...long story short I ordered a hdmi to vga cable to try a bigger tv for the game. I did not realize these things where fakes and did not work. Now my card is not working (gtx 650 ) and after reading somethings it seems i may of fried the card , some forms suggest a reset of the card it self ...is this possible ? thank you
Soooo's I'm standing there i got my ......NM

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: can a video card be reset ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 04:32:21 PM »
To "Reset" a video card actually refers to resetting the BIOS cache on the motherboard.

I take it your TV does not have an HDMI input? I would think that would be unusual.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 04:49:32 PM »
the tv has a hdmi ...i bought a cord that is vga at one end for the computer and hdmi at the other for the tv ..but without a converter box for the different signals it does not work and fried my card...all kinds of complaints about them on the web. i did not research it before hand ...cant believe they get away with selling such a thing. hopefully i can warn others .... :frown:

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 05:22:00 PM »
unplugged the card and plugged it back in ..all seems good  :rock

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 05:39:03 PM »
unplugged the card and plugged it back in ..all seems good  :rock

wtg, my kind of repair

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 06:05:25 PM »
Okay, sounds like it turned out good. I was going to suggest that, but I wanted to ask a few questions because a lot of red flags went up from what you had said. Primarily, that card is not supposed to have a VGA port on it, but I guess you found one that did.

So, it's all good.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 05:33:04 AM »
Yes the card does not have a VGA port , But it comes with an adapter. never went and got the right cord for it . Any ways ty for ur time and caring about my problem ...good people here ty

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 05:57:29 AM »
If it's a newer card most likely it had a DVI port in which case you could have used a HDMI to DVI cable.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 09:26:27 AM »
If it's a newer card most likely it had a DVI port in which case you could have used a HDMI to DVI cable.

Given the choice between using HDMI or DVI, which is the preferred?

- oldman

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 09:54:03 AM »
Given the choice between using HDMI or DVI, which is the preferred?

- oldman

They're basically the same, with the exception that HDMI can transfer sound too. As has been said, the video card sound system can cause issues with the "main" sound card which is why it's recommended not to be installed at all unless really needed and used. In that case there's no difference. Both transfer the image digitally.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 11:22:40 AM »
why do u think my card quit working after trying the said cord and why did it start working again ,,,is there a some type of reset in it ??

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 12:29:57 PM »
A relay, maybe? I mean, it might be possible that it shut down to save itself and after some time in  "normal" conditions it sort of cooled down and started working again. Something similar to what motherboard bioses use to protect them in case of too much overclocking: Three unsuccessful  boots will reset the settings to fail safe or default. I don't know if that's what happened, but it would be logical since video cards are actually dedicated computers within another computer. They have their own bios equivalent, a processor and memory.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 02:30:48 PM »
I think the GTX 650 comes with two DVI, an HDMI, and either DisplayPort, or Mini-DisplayPort. HDMI is now capable of up to 4k resolutions (there is some argument about maximum frame rates). Some cables cannot support 4k above 30fps, so you want to look for HDMI 2.0, rather than 1.4 or earlier. DisplayPort 1.2 supports 4k up to 60Hz, but also supports Adaptive Sync. I am fairly sure that NVidia and AMD both support Adaptive Sync now, but so must the monitor. I think HDMI supports GSync, and AMDs FreeSync, but I believe Adaptive Sync is still DisplayPort only, unless there has been a change in the last six months. Both HDMI and DisplayPort support up to 32 channels of audio and 1536kHz sampling rate.

Probably what happened to Dogtown is the card's BIOS locked up the outputs. I don't know why that happened in this case, but I suspect it was connected to a hot device. The card will reset the outputs when it senses a change in cabling.

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 06:51:21 PM »
yes.... hot device ...just gonna leave well enough alone now lol .....see ya all in the skies <S>