Author Topic: Returning player looking for some of the original players  (Read 1053 times)

Offline TheManxx

• Zinc Member
Returning player looking for some of the original players
« on: February 04, 2016, 02:09:55 PM »
HI,
I started playing back in the Kesmai days when AWIII was the one to play and Aces High was released to play as a Beta game back in the 90s.
Although you couldn't tell now, I was an ACM instructor in AWIII back then. Still have the CD for the game even.
I was known back than as "=WW=", a name I came up with from an AWIII squadron that made all members come up with an "=??=" name. People started calling me "DubDub" and since I can't have =WW= anymore I use the other nick name.
I flew online with the Flying Tigers AVG with 9Bal, Stiletto and a few of the others and then dropped off the game sometime around the late 90's.

So I'm back now, just finding my AH legs again and thought I'd stop in, say hi, see whose still around from those days and start looking for a new squadron.

DubDub
(Formerly =WW=)
=WW=

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
Re: Returning player looking for some of the original players
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 02:35:58 PM »
I was with the Mercenary Sheep (Chut, Xabaras, Icey, Zombie, etc) I had several names... SD... NachoSD... I mostly brought the drunks... I think I may be why they were called drunks, because I was too drunk to do anything else.

Anyway, welcome back.  I just re-subbed last night... this place is like a moment frozen in time... it's still a blast.
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 02:37:37 AM »
Starting to get a lot of folks coming out of the woodwork now that the beta is moving along - as many predicted would hopefully happen.

There is still a healthy contingent of old AW players around dubdub, you shouldn't have any problem finding at least a few familiar faces.  I think more and more will be coming around once the beta becomes "the game", or very near that time. 

I think you'll find with the game that the more things have changed, the more they've stayed the same, in a good way, like Tunnelrat describes.  The main arena has been getting busier, and some good fights/ops have been happening as of late - good time to return.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 07:35:48 AM »
Wow.   How the heck have you been Manx?    Glad to see you making a return.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 08:44:27 AM »
I was with the Mercenary Sheep (Chut, Xabaras, Icey, Zombie, etc) ...

Chutney and Xabby - two callsigns that bring fond memories from the Fighter Ace beta for AKWxMan and I.  Chut brought a few Merc Sheep into the beta.  Those guys had so much to teach.  Fighter Ace was my first aviation MMO and the Sheepies were my first squadron. 

AKWxman and I, both noobs, spent one evening learning the axiom - "Never Climb Into A Fight" from Xabaras.  We were intent on ending his picking ways.  We failed.  I've only flown against one other pilot that was more patient than he was - Lusche here in Aces High (who seems to be taking a break).

Thanks for mentioning those callsigns.  Chut is an awesome person and not just because he's from OZ.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 11:38:46 AM »
Was nice meeting you last night!

As you saw,you need plenty of seat time. I'm usually in the TA between 9pm and 11 pm est. you're welcome to come and work on things or just chase me around and shoot at me.

Hope you had fun!

Offline TheManxx

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 07:48:42 PM »
Hey Morfiend,
Thanks for taking the time to work with me there to try to blow the cobb webs off. They've built up a lot over the years. A couple of your suggestions made a huge difference.

It has also been quite amazing what a Joystick sensitivity check has done. The Saitek X52 Pro + the CH Peddles I have made things a touch SENSITIVE. The pressure change in the room from passing gas would send my plane right into the stall horn (And I had beans last night) ;)
I had to turn it down a BUNCH!

=WW=
=WW=

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 08:05:19 AM »
Manx??   Welcome back!
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 02:55:19 AM »
Welcome, ol' AW pilot.  I flew in AW a little at its start in 1988 and then a lot in the 1990's, and on its last day on Dec. 7th, 2001.

Scenarios, born in AW (invented by DoK), carry on today in Aces High.  In fact, we are in the middle of one right now.  If you want to fly in it (and we welcome folks at any stage of practice), just show up in the Special Events II Arena at or slightly before 3 pm Eastern on Saturday.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 06:18:04 AM »
I would own you in the DA :old:

I am awesome ask Mort :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 08:08:26 AM »
Hey Morfiend,
Thanks for taking the time to work with me there to try to blow the cobb webs off. They've built up a lot over the years. A couple of your suggestions made a huge difference.

It has also been quite amazing what a Joystick sensitivity check has done. The Saitek X52 Pro + the CH Peddles I have made things a touch SENSITIVE. The pressure change in the room from passing gas would send my plane right into the stall horn (And I had beans last night) ;)
I had to turn it down a BUNCH!

=WW=

About Time Manx very long time bud
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-
               Wait n Bleed

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 08:41:18 AM »
~S~ Manx...ltns...just came back from a year layoff myself

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 11:33:32 AM »
Chutney and Xabby - two callsigns that bring fond memories from the Fighter Ace beta for AKWxMan and I.  Chut brought a few Merc Sheep into the beta.  Those guys had so much to teach.  Fighter Ace was my first aviation MMO and the Sheepies were my first squadron. 

AKWxman and I, both noobs, spent one evening learning the axiom - "Never Climb Into A Fight" from Xabaras.  We were intent on ending his picking ways.  We failed.  I've only flown against one other pilot that was more patient than he was - Lusche here in Aces High (who seems to be taking a break).

Thanks for mentioning those callsigns.  Chut is an awesome person and not just because he's from OZ.

Haha! Awesome!  Yeah, Xab was amazing... especially in a P-38.   I played FA with them for awhile, and Chut got us into the Confirmed Kill closed Beta... I dunno what happened there, that was around when I got out of plane games for a long stretch... The beta stopped, but I think maybe it became Warbirds or something.

Would love to know what those cats are up to these days!

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 11:52:03 AM »
If you were around here in 2002-ish? I remember you.

Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 05:35:40 PM »
Gman and I have been here since Aces High Beta 1.  Though I was called Vruth for a while but still the same dude.  (I changed my in-game name in 2002).

What brings you back DubDub?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech