Author Topic: The best upgrade I ever did!  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: The best upgrade I ever did!
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2016, 02:36:45 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but installing Windows 10 actually drastically increased my internet speed. Thanks to the removal of Internet Explorer and better optimization of CAT5e Internet protocols. Also, I spread out the cables in my case a little bit to prevent crosstalk (not that it's needed, since Windows 10 has built-in error correction). I posted my reseults and new computer setup below.

Hate to tell you this, but the network stack for Windows 10 is the same as Windows 7.  You might not have had your bindings ordered correctly in your previous version of Windows, which could cause a much slower Internet connection.

All TCP/IP connections have error correction.  It is part of the specification.

Internet Exploder would have little to do with Speedtest results as they are run from the server, not the client.

Windows 10 is not why you got a faster connection.  Nothing has changed which would cause that.  If you had wiped your hard drive and re-installed whatever OS you had before (taking care to order the network bindings), you would have gotten the same results.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »
Don't mind Flametux, he just discovered the wonderful world of sarcasm. :)
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2016, 02:55:40 PM »
Don't mind Flametux, he just discovered the wonderful world of sarcasm. :)

Peachy.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2016, 03:13:46 PM »
My only issue is DX12 - are games of the near future not going to use DX12?  There is already one new AAA title on the way in March that is DX12 - no Win10, no DX12, right?  PC gamer has reported that Microsoft has stated unequivocally that Windows 7 will NOT be getting DX12 updates.  So, as much as I'd prefer to stay with Win7, I'd also like to use the new products and games that will be created and require DX12, especially a lot of the coming VR stuff - but not JUST those games, a lot of mainstream stuff will likely start being Dx12 as well, such as RTS titles like Ashes of Singularity.

I ended up trying Win10 much the same way Latrobe did - When installing AH beta my TrackIR program flipped out, and then locked up, and no amount of reinstalling/registry edits and retries could make it stop locking up my PC when launched - Natural Point's techs spent 4 hours in my PC remotely trying to figure it out, and couldn't, so as AH and a couple other games were the only thing that specific PC is used for, reinstalling Win7/format/ wasn't a tough option.  Since I had to do this anyway, I figured why not try the Win10 upgrade as I was going to wipe the drives anyhow.  Win10 did solve the TiR software problem - again I realize it's just a temp/masked fix, that whatever caused the TiR software to slowly start locking up the PC is out there probably still, I just wanted to see Win10.  WAY too much stuff to have to turn off to get it "sort of" secure, and you CAN'T get rid of Cortana regardless of what you try, aftermarket "fixes" and otherwise. 

The one thing I think is unforgivable is how Microsoft has the updates set to use your PC as a torrent like server helping MS distribute their product with YOUR bandwidth.  The majority of unsavvy PC users will never figure this out and switch it off, and MS will happily steal their bandwidth, and with the majority of ISP plans having data caps now, and with the majority of net use being Netflix and other bandwidth hog programs - this is a very, very dangerous thing MS is doing, and is going to open them up to suits IMO.  When folks start getting overage bills from their ISPs for MS using and breaking THEIR data caps, TOS or not, I can foresee lawsuits over that, particularly with "forced" upgrades where there is no actual "click" of an "I understand and agree" box.  And even with that box, you can't sign your rights away, including being stolen from. 

DX12 support or lack thereof is my only concern with Win7 - of all the OS put out by MS, it's by far been my favorite, by an order of magnitude.  In fact, it's pretty impressive considering what a giant POS the predecessor Vista was. 

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2016, 03:31:41 PM »
I have been waiting for someone to mention their performance gains on "Ashes of the Singularity," but so far nothing. I don't expect "Hitman" will need it much, but time will tell. If you already see a 90% bump in performance then the 70% that EMA has to offer won't be all that great by comparison, but if you just want to mix AMD with Nvidia then maybe so.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2016, 01:42:31 AM »
Peachy.

sorry skuzzy even I caught the sarcasm in his post.  you been hanging around hitech's office after last week's delivery much?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.