Author Topic: For the love of God . . .  (Read 5691 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
For the love of God . . .
« on: February 28, 2016, 08:19:40 AM »
 Please take a look at the "don't move your controls so rapidly" joystick freeze for a different way to what you want it to do.

It happens with simultaneously using full rudder, with elevator and aileron when trying to get a kill shot when both my plane and the reds plane is near stall.

It has never ever happened when trying to avoid being shot down.

The frequency is about is about once per week at the most to once a month at the least.

At least consider reducing the time the controls are locked up.

I have changed joystick and pedals and that did not help.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: For the love of God . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 08:34:33 AM »
Considering that the game is very lenient with that particular control message, you might wish to have a look into your joystick. There is a very good chance that it is spiking rather rapidly during movement and therefore needing to be replaced.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 08:38:36 AM »
Change how you fly!

Seriously. I just changed joysticks. I went from a CH to an X55. It has been a RE-learning process worst than TrackIR. I have used a CH stick forever and never had to change any settings, or scalings. I was very use to how the stick moved and reacted in the game and NEVER got a "dont move your stick...." error.

With my X55 I have been messing with the setting, scalings, spring tension and so on for weeks and I have run into the "dont move your stick...." error a number of times.... as well as other planes, trees, and vehicles.

The point is, DON'T MOVE YOUR STICK SO MUCH!  :devil In your case your slamming the stick and rudders to push the plane that little bit more at stall speed to get the lead for a shot. Get your self into a better position next time, don't force the shot.

The reason it is set up like it is, is to penalize those that stick stir thinking to get out of being hit by you. This locks up their controls so you have a good opportunity at hitting a strait and level target for a second of two.

The other reason your doing this more often is what Morphied calls the "old man syndrome". Us old guys don't get many chances at kills in this game any more, so when we do, we kinda OVER do it.  :D Especially in todays game where your more often than not trying to beat 5 other guys to the kill, or kill this guy quick because 5 others guys are coming after you.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 09:23:24 AM »
If you're absolutely sure you're NOT moving your stick too much, chances are it's something in your controls themselves. Most have pots in them. Pots get dirty. Dirty pots spike at certain points in their travel. Hit one of those spots and the game sees it as if you're jerking around.

I've taken my CH stuff apart periodically over the years to do a good cleaning. I'll get a few cleanings of the pots before they need replacing. Parts are a lot harder to come by than in past years. If tearing your stuff apart is outside of your comfort zone then you can always try new controls.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 11:32:15 AM »
The control lock was already changed years ago to adjust for your airspeed so that when near stall speed you can flail the stick around more. It's only triggered by full fast control movements that wouldn't be possible in reality due to air pressure on the control surfaces.

I assume you aren't spiking since you've been looking at this for a while. Practice getting the message on purpose and it will be easier to avoid it.

It sounds like you only lock up when trying to make shots you aren't lined up for so that's something you can look at changing.

Another thing to look at is the fact that the rudder doesn't move as fast as you can move your game controller so there is no benefit to the fast full deflection. In other words you can't lock up the rudder moving the controller at the speed the rudder moves in game. You will get a slow rudder deflection regardless of input and with a full deflection and quick reversal you will only get a partial deflection. Spend some time watching the rudder movement to get a feel for matching the speed and you'll have better rudder control.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:18:17 PM by FLS »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »
As others have said, it's a question of learning or failing hardware.

That message was a regular issue when I started umpteen years ago. Last year I recall getting it once. My current stick is the third or fourth in a row, none of them has cost more than €50 so it's not a question of superior quality or constant renewals.

Some years ago I read the FAF student booklet with real size drawings of stick movements for most common maneuvers. Suffice to say the booklet was small enough to fit in the breast pocket and the images filled half a page...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 11:27:52 AM »
I used to get this often when at a point in the fight that it was an all out stall and tiny incremental movemnts made this happen.....got new stick and haven't had it since...

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 09:07:34 PM »
The other reason your doing this more often is what Morphied calls the "old man syndrome". Us old guys don't get many chances at kills in this game any more,

Have you seen Randy fly?  It's definitely not a case of him not getting many kills.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 09:27:52 PM »
  Have you seen Randy fly?  It's definitely not a case of him not getting many kills.

Yes I have, I know how he flies, and have been there myself. He is either using worn out equipment, or he is pushing too hard to get the kills. Either of which is causing the error message, NOT a problem with the game.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 01:35:52 AM »
The two most common causes for getting that error message are 1)improperly calibrated controllers 2) faulty controllers.

To make sure that it's not a hardware issue, it is important to go through the three calibration routines for the game.  Calibrate in Windows (either using the Windows calibration tool or your joystick's software to calibrate) and after that is done go into AH and first (this is important) calibrate the axis for each of the controllers (clipboard -> options -> controllers -> map controllers -> calibrate axis) and when that it complete, calibrate the controllers (clipboard -> options -> controllers -> calibrate joystick) and see if the issue persists in game.  If it does then look at the hardware being most likely issue.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 01:23:07 PM »
Some good advice in this thread!

I would add while following Ack ack's advice check each axis,watch the raw and scaled windows and move the controller through it's complete movement. If you see the line moving with out inputs of continue to move after inputs it's likely a bad controller or spiking controller.

Use Ack's advice to try to correct the issue,you can try some dampening to see if that helps.

I find usually it's the player,then may not notice that they are really hamfisting the controls,or have old man syndrome as Fugi explained. I usually suggest the player relaxes and doesnt grip the controller so hard. Often near the stall a player will be moving the controller much more than they think they are because it's having little effect on movement of the A/C.

YMMV.

:salute

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 04:11:57 PM »
Can't remember the last time I got that message but I do know the Pain in the butt a joystick losing calibration can be....I would start at the stick end like AKAK said....

I never seen any maneuvers out of you that seem like they would push that limit, some people need to get it every time a plane gets on their six....EXAMPLE JbLaser flops the dora around to the point it comes off laggy on my end.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 01:43:06 PM »
The two most common causes for getting that error message are 1)improperly calibrated controllers 2) faulty controllers.

To make sure that it's not a hardware issue, it is important to go through the three calibration routines for the game.  Calibrate in Windows (either using the Windows calibration tool or your joystick's software to calibrate) and after that is done go into AH and first (this is important) calibrate the axis for each of the controllers (clipboard -> options -> controllers -> map controllers -> calibrate axis) and when that it complete, calibrate the controllers (clipboard -> options -> controllers -> calibrate joystick) and see if the issue persists in game.  If it does then look at the hardware being most likely issue.

Ack Ack and others suggested the detailed calibration.  I have calibrated many times in AH and once or twice in windows to stop this issue but to no avail but not to the detailed level Ack Ack recommended.  That seemed like a good place to start.  Thanks to Ack Ack and others for the advice.

I in find in windows 7 a place that I could add a tiny dead band on the rudder center to stop cold a center fluctuating value you could see in AH "Controls" section.  How I missed that before I have no idea.

Again, thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 02:08:55 AM »
Please for the love of cod, don't ask them to ease up on the stick-to-rapidly thing.  It's already everyone's go-to evasive maneuver.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 05:35:59 PM »
Please for the love of cod, don't ask them to ease up on the stick-to-rapidly thing.  It's already everyone's go-to evasive maneuver.

I noticed it being used more and more of late myself. If anything tighten it up!  :old:
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!