Author Topic: Nose Art Tramsparencey background AH2 verses AH3 Beta 6/Beta 7  (Read 686 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Nose Art Tramsparencey background AH2 verses AH3 Beta 6/Beta 7
« on: February 26, 2016, 07:07:49 PM »
I have not seen a post regarding anything about Nose Art

I have noticed that in AH3 beta patch 6 & 7, I get a black background, to where in AH2 it is transparent

I just noticed the new patch 8 is out, so will check in it, to see if it is still the same

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Nose Art Tramsparencey background AH2 verses AH3 Beta 6/Beta 7
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 06:08:46 AM »
The transparency color code has always given me a bit of trouble, especially when converting RGB to indexed bitmap.  In any case, I tested creating a new nose art and found that transparency does work.  Which color code bleeds transparent, I don't know  :headscratch: because the darn thing wasn't supposed to be transparent anywhere.  :D My best guess is it is either b0b0b0 (as it was in AH2) or maybe ffffff (white).   I am probably way off.

While on the subject, it seems that nose art also takes on the reflective properties of the skin.  Somewhere way down on that priority list, maybe the nose art could also have a "materials" layer.  (I don't have the proper terminology probably, but I hope you are able to understand what I am attempting to ask).

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 01:29:45 PM »
Chilli, its been so long since I messed with any of the indexed bitmaps, RGB, etc...............iirc it was something like 767? but I would have to go and research it from like 12 or 13 yrs ago, hah

I just did noticed, that although I see my squad nose art in the game beta online and offline....... it isn't actually loaded or stored in any folder/subfolder of the Beta install.......

that's a new one on me, where is it pulling it from, if it is not in the Beta game directory?   ( 2 of these computers have nothing but the beta only installed, no AH2 installed )

just curious

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:47:07 PM »
It is possible nose art and other data is being stored in a database now as native format. Like the way MS exchange server stores everything from voice mail to baby pictures in native format.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 01:50:27 PM »
Chilli, its been so long since I messed with any of the indexed bitmaps, RGB, etc...............iirc it was something like 767? but I would have to go and research it from like 12 or 13 yrs ago, hah

I just did noticed, that although I see my squad nose art in the game beta online and offline....... it isn't actually loaded or stored in any folder/subfolder of the Beta install.......

that's a new one on me, where is it pulling it from, if it is not in the Beta game directory?   ( 2 of these computers have nothing but the beta only installed, no AH2 installed )

just curious

TC

It is downloaded from the host and stored in a folder called squads

HiTech

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 02:13:25 PM »
It is downloaded from the host and stored in a folder called squads

HiTech

Thanks hitech......

I just compared the one I currently have in AH2 in the squads folder   dated 12/6/2011  5.1KB size  72 DPI
the one that is loaded in AH Beta 3 is dated 12/9/2004 5.1KB size 96 DPI     <----- looking at it in photoshop, this is one of the first one's whels made, back when we were trying to get the transparent background...... ( my noseart is the only noseart in the beta3 squads folder on my i7 machine...my apologies thought I saw it on one of the other AMD machines with the 512 MB VC, while I was flying with the mouse.. )

TC

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 03:38:52 PM »
Thanks hitech......

I just compared the one I currently have in AH2 in the squads folder   dated 12/6/2011  5.1KB size  72 DPI
the one that is loaded in AH Beta 3 is dated 12/9/2004 5.1KB size 96 DPI     <----- looking at it in photoshop, this is one of the first one's whels made, back when we were trying to get the transparent background...... ( my noseart is the only noseart in the beta3 squads folder on my i7 machine...my apologies thought I saw it on one of the other AMD machines with the 512 MB VC, while I was flying with the mouse.. )

TC

We have not copied the current squad art data set to our beta servers.

HiTech