Author Topic: Main Arena Missions  (Read 1155 times)

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
Main Arena Missions
« on: March 12, 2016, 08:04:04 AM »
One positive that came out of the brutal massacre that was FSO was that a bunch of CJs headed to the MA at the same time.

While I am not a big fan of suicide raids, some how I ended up out front of one, headed to a base with a full enemy dar bar in low level Lancasters.

It was more fun than I remembered. I miss the times in the main arena when people ran actual missions. Sometimes, "fun" outweighs "smart."

From the movie, Animal House:
Otter: I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Bluto: And we're just the guys to do it.

GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Main Arena Missions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 09:00:31 AM »
Just another thing that has faded into the past. Altho, it is one of the reasons I joined the Ronin. Odd runs squad ops each Friday and posts missions. Most are "themed" and we have a good time messing with them. Last night, it was IL2s and LA7s, a Russian theme. We hit a base, took out radar and the ack and just fought it out. A quick return trip brought out the wirbles  :rolleyes: instead of fighters, so we moved on. 5 sets of Lancs and half a dozen heavy fighters and we flattened a Vbase, and then dropped FHs at a supporting airfield. Just too much defense to gain the capture, but hey, it was fun!

Running missions takes some dedication. These days it is more like herding cats! The skill level isn't what it use to be and the dedication to work together isn't what it was. Now players seem to have the "if I miss, my 15 buddies backing me up will get it" type of attitude. Gone are the days when Rip, and Mugs and a number of others would log on and players would be after them to run these epic missions. The Bish still seem to have a few "big leaders" unfortunately they don't seem to want to be bothered with running "epic" missions but are happy with "OK all 50 of you grab a hvy fighter, run NOE and flatten "X" base".

The new version coming out may change that. The lay outs of the fields and new terrain may add something to the missions. Ground elements may have more of an impact as they will be able to hide better. I hope we see a lot more co-ordinated attacks in the future with the new version. 

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 04:12:06 PM »
We hit a base, took out radar and the ack and just fought it out. A quick return trip brought out the wirbles  :rolleyes: instead of fighters, so we moved on. 5 sets of Lancs and half a dozen heavy fighters and we flattened a Vbase, and then dropped FHs at a supporting airfield.

You mean you hoarded a base then left when the defense showed up?   :D
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 04:38:32 PM »
One positive that came out of the brutal massacre that was FSO was that a bunch of CJs headed to the MA at the same time.

While I am not a big fan of suicide raids, some how I ended up out front of one, headed to a base with a full enemy dar bar in low level Lancasters.

It was more fun than I remembered. I miss the times in the main arena when people ran actual missions. Sometimes, "fun" outweighs "smart."

From the movie, Animal House:
Otter: I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Bluto: And we're just the guys to do it.

Those lancs tasted delishious  :devil but it was cool to see non the less. They did actually hit the target hahaa.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 04:55:16 PM »
I always liked the Candy Mountain missions
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Mitchell

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 07:00:36 PM »
I love missions, but it seems that everyone is too picky about the plane and loadout and either won't join or they'll sit on the runway in a different plane and wait, and also too paranoid about spies blowing the mission to even post them.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 10:43:06 PM »
You mean you hoarded a base then left when the defense showed up?   :D

Ya the 11 of us against the 10 of them was overwhelming! No we left because they didn't have the ummmm balls to up fighters.  :D

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 06:51:22 AM »

Those lancs tasted delishious  :devil but it was cool to see non the less. They did actually hit the target hahaa.
What? After 14 kills, you ran out of ammunition?  :salute

GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 09:53:46 AM »
What? After 14 kills, you ran out of ammunition?  :salute

Haha, well I actually rearmed with 6 just before y'all got there, then killed 1 or 2 fighters and then got about 6 of the lancs. But I did run out of ammo. Luckily I didn't collide with any of y'all though.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline OSS

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »
MA missions are nearly non existent. I try posting one nearly every time I'm on but getting customers is very difficult, I've got about 15 themed missions on deck at any time to load consisting of RAF, Luft, US, low level B25 raids...etc. They have always been a good time but getting that initial "join" is the most difficult. Smaller maps will help. Right now, there are too many people spread to the 4 winds trying to defend lonely bases to support pulling even 5+ guys for an OP. 

I am also a side switcher so I don't think people trust my name anymore...silly as that is. :noid

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 10:53:31 PM »
MA missions are nearly non existent. I try posting one nearly every time I'm on but getting customers is very difficult, I've got about 15 themed missions on deck at any time to load consisting of RAF, Luft, US, low level B25 raids...etc. They have always been a good time but getting that initial "join" is the most difficult. Smaller maps will help. Right now, there are too many people spread to the 4 winds trying to defend lonely bases to support pulling even 5+ guys for an OP. 

I am also a side switcher so I don't think people trust my name anymore...silly as that is. :noid
Some don't care some do. 1 knight, an old ex squadie from when I was a squeaker has called me a traitor, and a muppet spy simply because of my squad, and the fact I dropped the total side alliance and jump back and forth between knights and rooks. Whichever side I'm on I'll help pursue the win ze war, while pursuing my blood lust.

Btw pipz if you read this we should wing, I feel like   Disaster  would fallow :banana:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 11:30:04 PM »
There are still missions in the MA, i flew in a P-40 raid not long ago, must have been 20-25 P-40:s, we sure looked awesome Before we died.  :D
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 12:12:13 PM »
80th or SAPP would setup a mission with TBMs. People would join
 We would plan a low level strike at some base deep in enemy territory. About half way there we start setting up groups for each target. At about that time is when one of the folks who joined our mission notes with great horror that we are loaded with torpedoes. We continue on about dropping the town, the dar, and such with our torpedoes. They are saying you can't do that. All the while we are assuring the doubters we can. Then watch as they try..... then fight till we die or get out some way.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)