Author Topic: wildcat1  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: wildcat1
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2016, 09:27:33 PM »
<S>
Wilcat1

Seeing the list, I missed more of these than I care to admit.  :( :salute

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2016, 05:20:07 AM »
First of all, I'll share my Wildcat1 story

One night a few years ago was flying along in the MA (I think I was in a KI) and came across a co-alt FM2.  We merged and engaged.  After the first 3 turns I realized I had my hands full.  I think I used every ACM I've ever learned and a couple of improvised ones.  I was one of those white-knuckle fights you remember.   One of the rare ones that someone else is not around to jump into the mix for a pick, friendly or otherwise. 
When the fight was over; rather than send a simple salute or "good fight" on ch. 200, I sent him a PM.

Me: Damn good fight Wildcat1, you flew the hell out of that FM2!

Wildcat1: Thank you.  I should know a thing or two about em.  I used to fly them in WW2.

He told my about the Navy fighter groups he had been assigned to and the CV's they flew off of. I think he said he had about 6-8 confirmed kills.  Said he started with the F4F, then the FM2, then got the F6F's.  He went on to say that he played Aces High to help him with PTSD.  His PTSD wasn't due to the war.  And this is the part that kind of touched me.  After the WW2, he said he was pressured by his higher-ups to "volunteer" for testing of ejection seats.   He said doing those ejection seat tests made him 10x more nervous than any combat sortie he ever flew.

I did some digging, looking for recent obituaries in Winter Park, FL crossed referenced with WW2 vet and found this.  Not sure if this is Wildcat1 but it sure fits the bill.
Either way,  :salute Wildcat1   We appreciate your service Sir.   

He was in my first squadron.  I would ask 1Alibaba about him.  He may know more. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2016, 07:01:36 AM »
I don't see anything about him flying an FM2.
He did. Seen many pictures

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2016, 08:41:58 AM »
Some of us have been shot down by a 100 year old man.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2016, 10:32:05 AM »
Great fighter and good guy.   :salute and thank you
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2016, 12:32:31 PM »
I don't see anything about him flying an FM2.

Because he made it up.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 01:07:46 PM »

Yeah, probably did. 

Upon closer look at the obituary his highest rank was BM1.  Not that of a navy pilot. 

And the story about the ejection seat testing was supposed to have taken place in death valley California.   Didnt see any of his stations around there.   

Is what it is.
xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 01:14:18 PM »
Because he made it up.

Yeah I didn't wanna flat out say it amidst all the salutes.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 02:47:41 PM »
Without casting aspersions one way or the other, the navy did make use of 'NAPS' (enlisted naval aviation pilots). Granted, over ninety percent of them were given temporary commissions (and they weren't given test pilot duty to the best of my knowledge).

http://bluejacket.com/nap_index.htm

Having said that, I'm a veteran of the Ken Jr. debacle when it happened in AW. (Supporting said person's claims until proven otherwise - then becoming much the skeptic in most spurious online claims of glory, altogether.)

If it isn't necessary, could it be dropped? (Just asking.) If it does persist, however, I'll bow out of this one. My cardiologist would not approve in my participation.  ;)