Author Topic: Oculus Rift use...  (Read 20942 times)

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
Re: Oculus Rift use...
« Reply #150 on: June 06, 2016, 02:59:52 PM »
Sorry guys, I am kinda lost. How do I get the Vive running in the beta? Scanned through the options didn't find anything to tick. HALP!
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #151 on: June 06, 2016, 03:16:58 PM »
nvm... figured it out... run the DX11 version - duh!
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2016, 03:38:26 PM »
Wow - amazing - I would have never dreamed I'd be flying AH in a VR HMD. It only took 17 years... :)

Alright. I got the obvious see the cockpit double problem. But the other thing is performance. In the offline arena I hardly reach 40FPS with standard stettings. Any hints on optimal settings with VR? It seems that the cockpit interior eats up a lot of frames. If I go the F3 view everything smoothens out.

My specs: i7-6700k, GTX970, 16GB RAM, Win10
Real men fly Radial!

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2016, 04:13:55 PM »
Wow - amazing - I would have never dreamed I'd be flying AH in a VR HMD. It only took 17 years... :)

Alright. I got the obvious see the cockpit double problem. But the other thing is performance. In the offline arena I hardly reach 40FPS with standard stettings. Any hints on optimal settings with VR? It seems that the cockpit interior eats up a lot of frames. If I go the F3 view everything smoothens out.

My specs: i7-6700k, GTX970, 16GB RAM, Win10

Frame rate can be dealt with by using Asynchronous Timewarp. At least it works very well in other sims. With that I can get 90+ fps with p3dv3.

Terry

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #154 on: June 06, 2016, 04:38:36 PM »
Frame rate can be dealt with by using Asynchronous Timewarp. At least it works very well in other sims. With that I can get 90+ fps with p3dv3.

Terry

That should help for Oculus HMDs, but the last I'd read a while back, HTC/Valve hadn't adopted Asynch Time-warp for the Vive.  Anyone have more recent info perhaps?  (Here's what I read a few months ago--had to find it again):

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/47io91/what_is_vives_alternative_to_time_warp/

Update: Did a little more searching.  Valve has different solution, apparently: Automatic Interleaved Reprojection.  Here is a GDC presentation that talks a bit about it: http://alex.vlachos.com/graphics/Alex_Vlachos_Advanced_VR_Rendering_Performance_GDC2016.pdf

FWIW,
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 05:00:31 PM by Wraith_TMS »
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2016, 12:15:03 AM »
Yup, sadly the Vives reprojection isn't quite as good as Oculus' ATW. Reprojection allows smooth gameplay even below the needed 90 FPS down to 45 FPS. If you drop below 45 the juddering will start.

I am well aware that the beta is just a beta and that VR support is really new. I just want to hear what my fellow mates found ways to improve the performance right now. I will play around with the gfx settings some more.
Real men fly Radial!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #156 on: June 07, 2016, 08:17:21 AM »
HiTech

Any progress on the double vision issue with the cv1 rift? I agree Vive wins with their controllers.

Terry

It's fixed

Offline brucec

• Zinc Member
      • 249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
« Reply #157 on: June 07, 2016, 01:32:40 PM »
It's fixed

I'm still seeing it in patch 23
brucec
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2016, 02:42:18 PM »
I'm still seeing it in patch 23

I believe he is saying it is fixed for the next patch (24).
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
Yup, sadly the Vives reprojection isn't quite as good as Oculus' ATW. Reprojection allows smooth gameplay even below the needed 90 FPS down to 45 FPS. If you drop below 45 the juddering will start.

I am well aware that the beta is just a beta and that VR support is really new. I just want to hear what my fellow mates found ways to improve the performance right now. I will play around with the gfx settings some more.

I agree Vive post render smoothing is not near what oculus is, But I would think that will happen very soon.

But I ah highly impressed with the Vive controllers.

With the 2 controllers all dog fighting functions could be mapped to the 2 controllers, and no need for a JS.

HiTech

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2016, 04:01:13 PM »
I agree Vive post render smoothing is not near what oculus is, But I would think that will happen very soon.

But I ah highly impressed with the Vive controllers.

With the 2 controllers all dog fighting functions could be mapped to the 2 controllers, and no need for a JS.

HiTech

Wow; those last two paragraphs are a significant evaluation with important (positive) implications.  IOW, if you support these types of controllers, you'll attract even more VR enthusiasts, who might otherwise have avoided diving into good air combat games like AH because of the cost of entry posed by additional HOTAS or j/s purchases.  Owning those controllers would reduce their overall capital outlay and let them play AH as well as any other type of controller-tracked game. 

I wonder how the VIVE controllers would stack up against Oculus' Touch controllers (coming later this year) in use with AH?  Anecdotally, they're both said to be high-quality gear: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/touch/
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #161 on: June 07, 2016, 04:08:30 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Have you been playing sitting down with the Vive, or standing up?  I ask because of the way the Vive integrates the various cams/sensors around a room, wondering if in the future in planes like large bombers, if we could walk to various gunner/bomber/nav stations and such.  The first thing I thought of when I tried the Vive and the controllers were how awesome they would be in gunner/manned gun/tank stations...

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #162 on: June 07, 2016, 06:18:55 PM »
Wraith made a very good point, if the vr cost includes a controller option that competes with a hotas that is a huge plus,
you will have to come up with a bundle deal with the vr vendors. HT.

I think I would still want rudder pedals though.

Have any of you Gtx 1080d this thing yet?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #163 on: June 07, 2016, 06:20:54 PM »
I have Razor Hydras (similar to the Vive controllers) - I don't think it'd use them over a HOTAS arrangement.

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #164 on: June 08, 2016, 12:30:04 AM »
HT - I am really curious how you'd map the Vive controllers to AH controls. Cannot imagine it atm. But I agree the precision and responsivness is truly impressive. You can literally juggle the controllers in mid-air - no lag whatsoever.

Pongo - I only read reports of the 1080/Vive combo on the DCS forums which are not as fantastic as the NVIDIA anouncement sounded. Most of that has probably to do with DCS being very CPU dependent. And that the gameworks API is not supported which means they do not take advantage of the VR specific optimizations. AFAIK only one VR game actually does atm. I do not know how likely AH is to support gameworks but it would sure boost the VR performance by a good margin. Anyway, I got a 1080 on the way - expecting it to land in 2-3 weeks probably.
Real men fly Radial!