Author Topic: An odd encounter leads to a profound question  (Read 7728 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: An odd encounter leads to a profound question
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2016, 04:24:35 PM »
I don't log into BETA because A) nobody in there so I don't know what to do and B) when there is people in there they won't fight(I ask them of course first not just up and kill them) which is what I would like to test, specifically the tracers (Shooting AI planes isn't a real test...need to test them in an actual fight against another player for it to be a real good test IMO)

Lately I've found that in the afternoons (PST time) there have been an average of 15-20 people flying in the CraterMA beta arena, had some pretty good fights.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2016, 05:20:54 PM »
Beta arena is just like the MA, 5 TigerIIs and a fighter trolling an airfield for vulches and my handsomehunk in Ju87, pleading for sides to be even for some fun...  :rolleyes:  :rofl

hey dolby with those specs of yours are you getting solid performance with everything cranked? 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2016, 07:15:54 PM »
Yes B, it's been very good to me and worth the outlay
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2016, 07:36:31 PM »
Yes B, it's been very good to me and worth the outlay

Just priced up a rebuild for mobo, 2x8gig ram, 8GB card and I5 6600k for £600.   Will wait until AH3 final release see prices come down a bit more.  Also devise a likely story that will somehow pass spending security checks.    :devil
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2016, 09:05:37 PM »
I test my builds on cyberpower's website, give a good price guide.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2016, 10:05:29 PM »
Lately I've found that in the afternoons (PST time) there have been an average of 15-20 people flying in the CraterMA beta arena, had some pretty good fights.
I'll have to check it out
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2016, 02:35:46 AM »
When are you out on parole Dolby we miss you  :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2016, 12:42:30 PM »
I think the ankle bracelet comes off in May  :neener:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2016, 11:23:16 AM »
Good news I get out in 12 months
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »
Zack,

Hacksawing one into does not count as getting out, persee .....

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2016, 06:06:45 PM »
 Easy solution...newbies icons should flash. Than we know to let them kill us....

What? Why won't that work? I'm sure we ALL want more new players.....
                                                                                                     JGroth

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2016, 10:31:52 PM »
Easy solution...newbies icons should flash. Than we know to let them kill us....

What? Why won't that work? I'm sure we ALL want more new players.....
                                                                                                     JGroth

NEWU12533472

Ring a bell?
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FishBait

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2016, 11:09:40 AM »
It's wasn't that long ago that I was new to this game, so I still vividly remember the frustration of upping over & over & over again, only to be shot down by the same handful of names... over & over & over again. My life expectancy was measured in seconds. And landing a kill... forget it. I literally thought there was something wrong with my computer based on how impossible the task of lining up my sights on a rapidly-moving seemed. I think it took me a good week of play before I landed one kill. Seriously. I was that bad. And the weeks that followed weren't much better.

Considering where I'm at now (not great, but can hold my own), I don't think this pattern is an anomoly. New players have a huge learning curve ahead of them before the game has a chance to become enjoyable. And while sheer determination to not exit the game a complete loser forced me to soldier on, I don't see succumbing to frustration and giving up on the game early on to be a character flaw. The way I see it, a large percentage of potential future players are turned off from the start. There are plenty of ways to have fun that don't involve the study of ACM tactics. If a new player's carrot is too far from their nose to sniff, they're going to move on to something else more palatable.

I'd love to see changes made in the game to better support new players, but as we're not in charge of the game, we need to do what we can. That means saluting players who put forth the effort to fight, even if their flying is subpar. That means PM'ing these same players and offering friendly suggestions for improvement. That means offering to help new players in the TA/DA. It means remembering how much we all sucked from the beginning, and becoming the mentors we all had who got us to the point where we could get some fun out of the game.
-== Hell Hounds ==- Official Pooper Scooper

I've got 99 problems, but a HO aint one.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2016, 11:16:25 AM »
Very well said fishbait. You know since you have been with us that I always offer tips and training if you need them.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2016, 11:21:03 AM »
I too remember what it was to be new.  It was over 20 years ago for me, in AirWarrior.  The experience was not quite the same as yours though.  I remember very well the excitement of the game just booting up for the first time, it took 20 hours to download.  I had never played anything on line before and it was also my very first computer.  The very first thing I searched for was "Flying Games" through AOL and AirWarrior was on the top of the list.  I was hooked the very first time I rolled down the runway.  Then I attacked this guy who reversed me in about 3 seconds after negating my advantage.  Rolled again, shot down again by the same guy.  I kept rolling and trying everything I could to just get some kind of shot.  It was probably about 20 of these glorious deaths in a row when finally, I pulled in behind and just held the trigger down.  The guy made real slow moves and I was able to get my first kill.  It was Deth7 from the PigStompers.  He had pulled in front of me and pretty much held still on purpose so I could shoot him down.  He invited me to his squad and taught me everything he could in the days, weeks, months, and years that followed.
Wag more, bark less.