Author Topic: Bizarre Looking "Reflection"  (Read 344 times)

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
Bizarre Looking "Reflection"
« on: March 21, 2016, 09:12:44 AM »
Gents,
   I've seen this before in other iterations of the Alpha and Beta, and with two different video cards.
First was a GTX770 and this one's with a GTX970.
  I'm thinking it's supposed to be replicating a reflection off the glass, but personally I find it very
annoying and would like to get rid of it if possible.
  Here's what I'm seeing. Is this normal?

Best regards, Odd

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Bizarre Looking "Reflection"
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 11:08:59 AM »
Try the C205 and look up at the reflection of the flooring plate. I noticed what you are talking about and flew around watching it to understand it. The off centered waviness seems to be an angle of the sun response to your canopy's orientation and shape. Hitech has flown in P51s and his Rv8 has a blown canopy. He is sharing the experience with us.

Here is something to try if you really want to depress yourself. Change your FoV to 60 which makes the cockpit about equal to real life. Your 100Mil reticle ring will be real life 1.8 inches dia. and you won't need to zoom to shoot. Then try to chase the drones around while pulling some of our game's signature barrel roles to cut across turns and such. Without the virtual god like expanded FoV we are accustomed to in our game. You get an appreciation for needing a mirror and why many pilots never saw who shot them down and why our signature ACM is really a relic of biplanes and not how WW2 fighters conducted combat. Those reflections stop being an issue when you cannot see all of them at the same moment.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:14:36 AM »
Polygon stretching/distortion.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 11:32:12 AM »
Try the C205 and look up at the reflection of the flooring plate. I noticed what you are talking about and flew around watching it to understand it. The off centered waviness seems to be an angle of the sun response to your canopy's orientation and shape. Hitech has flown in P51s and his Rv8 has a blown canopy. He is sharing the experience with us.

Here is something to try if you really want to depress yourself. Change your FoV to 60 which makes the cockpit about equal to real life. Your 100Mil reticle ring will be real life 1.8 inches dia. and you won't need to zoom to shoot. Then try to chase the drones around while pulling some of our game's signature barrel roles to cut across turns and such. Without the virtual god like expanded FoV we are accustomed to in our game. You get an appreciation for needing a mirror and why many pilots never saw who shot them down and why our signature ACM is really a relic of biplanes and not how WW2 fighters conducted combat. Those reflections stop being an issue when you cannot see all of them at the same moment.

I believe WW2 pilots typically had better than a 60 degree field of view. You might lose a little from goggles but it was still likely around 160 degrees.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:51:27 AM »
That's why we use TR. You can have the 160 with a gunsight the size of a pea or 60 with a life size gunsight and compensate with TR and keeping your head on a swivel. Even with real peripheral vision, pilots were in cramped conditions and didn't see as much as we do in our game with virtual vision. Blown canopies were a life saving revolution in viewing ability.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 02:30:45 PM »
Gents,
   I've seen this before in other iterations of the Alpha and Beta, and with two different video cards.
First was a GTX770 and this one's with a GTX970.
  I'm thinking it's supposed to be replicating a reflection off the glass, but personally I find it very
annoying and would like to get rid of it if possible.
  Here's what I'm seeing. Is this normal?

(Image removed from quote.)

Best regards, Odd

Easy to turn it off.  In graphics detail, check disable reflections (best answer).

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 02:38:45 PM »
Thanks Chilli! Will give that a shot. :)

Best, Odd

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 02:45:20 PM »
No problem, I enjoyed Bustr's great insight into why it looks funky because we change the FOV.  That hadn't occurred to me, and worth another look at default FOV, especially if I ever do TrackIR or Occullus Rift.  :rock