Author Topic: Help with new video card  (Read 4467 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Help with new video card
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2016, 07:48:04 PM »
I would love to share more information about this, but I believe it has issues with the BBS rules here.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2016, 07:51:17 PM »
GTX 750 is a lower end card, weaker than the GTX 660 HiTech uses in his development system. It would run AH3 with quite a lot of features disabled.

I use a 750 and stay around the mid 50s FPS when others and clouds are around. This is with the environment slider at 0 and everything else is turned on.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2016, 08:19:04 PM »
I would love to ask HP about it, but apparently it's $60 for them to pick up the phone. I sent an e-mail, we'll see if they respond. This is not making want to buy any of their products in the future.

The Windows reinstall is what's making me nervous about a new motherboard. AFAICT I'll have to re-purchase Windows because it won't recognize the new mobo as an HP machine.

Btw, is there any reason for that whitelist other than to shaft the customers by making them buy a new system rather than be able to upgrade?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:13:29 PM by Crash Orange »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2016, 03:52:01 AM »
Hopefully HP will answer. They also have a forum where you could ask about things but I don't know how fast you'd get an answer there.

As for reinstalling Windows, you won't need anything else than the code on the license sticker on your case and a generic Windows 7 installation media, either a DVD or a USB stick, which you can download from the link I provided earlier. You can also copy or lend such a disk from anyone, that's fully legal. Using a generic media to reinstall Windows to a <brand> computer is common practice in service shops because that way you don't have to install and then uninstall all the unnecessary programs that only waste your computing power. I've done it numerous times and it's very straightforward.

If you ask HP about their whitelist policy, they'd probably say that it's for ensuring compatibility. Truth is they want people to buy new computers instead of upgrading.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2016, 04:09:50 AM »
I would look threw all your bios settings and make sure you have legacy bios checked and disable secure boot checked . Lmk if you can find those settings in your bios under the security tab. Next there is a bios update for your board from HP that might show these settings if they are not available in your current bios . http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-p7-1200-desktop-pc-series/5187022/model/5193525#Z7_3054ICK0K8UDA0AQC11TA930O2

Also here is a list of MSI cards that have a hybrid bios with a legacy support bios switch

http://event.msi.com/2014/vga/Hybrid_BIOS/

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2016, 05:19:55 PM »
I'll see if HP will answer but I'm not hopeful - they don't seem interested in the most minimal support for anything that's not under warranty. I did post a question on the forum. I also contacted Sapphire, but I expect they'll say it is compatible whether thy have actually tried it or not.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2016, 07:27:54 AM »
A friend just asked about getting a new video card to his HP. I did some research and stumbled upon this: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200

Although the document says it only applies to Win 8 and 10, it might help you too depending on your motherboard and bios.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 11:26:53 AM »
I have to say, a computer manufacturer choosing to use this "secure boot" technology seems to be the stupidest decision I've seen in some time.

I used to think that HP made good hardware but nearly criminally bad software (where every decade or two, I try out HP products only to relearn this lesson).

Now, I think I have to reduce my estimate of their areas of competence.

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2016, 02:36:35 AM »
A friend just asked about getting a new video card to his HP. I did some research and stumbled upon this: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200

Although the document says it only applies to Win 8 and 10, it might help you too depending on your motherboard and bios.

I saw the same Doc when i was looking around for Crash.... i think if he can configure his bios with secure boot disabled and legacy bios enabled , he might have a decent chance of getting it up and running . 

I agree Brooke I used to like some of Hp's DV series laptops back in the day .....until i had customers with overheating issues. Seeing the way they handled that in the beginning was the end of my HP product use .

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2016, 01:53:41 PM »
I saw the same Doc when i was looking around for Crash.... i think if he can configure his bios with secure boot disabled and legacy bios enabled , he might have a decent chance of getting it up and running . 

I agree Brooke I used to like some of Hp's DV series laptops back in the day .....until i had customers with overheating issues. Seeing the way they handled that in the beginning was the end of my HP product use .

I believe secure boot is a Windows 8 thing - I'm running 7 and it doesn't appear in my options under the security or any other tab.

Sapphire says the R9 380 with the switch should work but they can't swear it will. Others have gotten that card to work with the HP Chicago motherboard which has the same issues with the GT 8xx and 9xx cards. HP forum guru says there is no whitelist and the bios incompatibility is the reason the 960 won't work. I ordered the card so we'll see. Keep your fingers crossed, but if it doesn't work I can still replace the mobo.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2016, 04:38:11 PM »
Good luck, Loki!

Offline remeskylan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2016, 07:11:49 AM »
  I have an HP Envy computer and had problems adding a new video card. I had to go into the bios and that the internal intel video was turned off.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2016, 02:02:33 PM »
Aaaaand she works!  :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 380 4GB with a physical switch to toggle UEFI/legacy BIOS. Sapphire guy said some of their cards that are listed as dual BIOS support have switches and some have to have the BIOS flashed and the latter won't work with this motherboard. New, new power supply is 600W so there won't be any problems there.

I'm still playing with settings but so far it looks like a frame rate in the high 50s offline in the Beta with all settings maxed out.

Thanks so much for all the help and advice!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2016, 07:38:08 PM »
Sweet!  :aok

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2016, 12:24:00 AM »
Aaaaand she works!  :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 380 4GB with a physical switch to toggle UEFI/legacy BIOS. Sapphire guy said some of their cards that are listed as dual BIOS support have switches and some have to have the BIOS flashed and the latter won't work with this motherboard. New, new power supply is 600W so there won't be any problems there.

I'm still playing with settings but so far it looks like a frame rate in the high 50s offline in the Beta with all settings maxed out.

Thanks so much for all the help and advice!

If I may ask, what version AMD Crimson driver did you use?

Glad you got it all sorted out..............

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd