Author Topic: Damage model  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
Damage model
« on: March 25, 2016, 10:53:20 PM »
Is there going to be any change to the damage model?
Specifically in terms of "ghost damage" where something is not there but is acting like it?

For example some plan models I feel the flaps when damaged get shredded and are locked in the place when they were used(262 comes to mind)
Some, like the jugs, F4U's, and 110, when a flap is shot it's removed from the air frame.
But in the 110, it appears as if the flap is still engaged even tho it's not even there, and yes the opposite side is retracted.

Either way this can be a very troublesome and frustrating situation.
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
Re: Damage model
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 01:32:01 AM »
I always wanted to know that also. I usually fly the F4u's and everything I have my flaps out and it gets shot out there is still an effect like its stucked in. Since its completely shot off shouldn't it effect one only side only? Why does the plane still tilt to the side that the flaps is shot out?
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 10:07:15 AM »
I always wanted to know that also. I usually fly the F4u's and everything I have my flaps out and it gets shot out there is still an effect like its stucked in. Since its completely shot off shouldn't it effect one only side only? Why does the plane still tilt to the side that the flaps is shot out?

The plane tilts to the side that has had the flaps shot off, because the flaps that remain on the other side is producing lift, and the side missing the flaps has no airfoil surface to keep it level, therefore the plane tilts toward the side missing the flaps...

bringing the flaps back in until you are able to get back to balanced/level flight is your best option

Hope I explained that correctly, there is nothing wrong with the flight model that I have noticed

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:19:57 AM »
The plane tilts to the side that has had the flaps shot off, because the flaps that remain on the other side is producing lift, and the side missing the flaps has no airfoil surface to keep it level, therefore the plane tilts toward the side missing the flaps...

bringing the flaps back in until you are able to get back to balanced/level flight is your best option

Hope I explained that correctly, there is nothing wrong with the flight model that I have noticed

Hope this helps

TC

The plane acts like they jam in place, but the visual shows the flap gone. You can get hit with a couple notches of flap out and you only notices it is jammed when you bring them back up. You then have to drop flaps....and speed until you get the working flap to the same position as the jammed flap. You have no visual clue that it is jammed.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 10:58:12 AM »
When it happens on the 38 I don't notice it until I go to put a notch out at which point there's a noticeable roll in the direction of the "damaged" flap. I don't think they get damaged so much as totally shot away. No flap on that side can't counter the extra lift from the opposite "good" flap hence the roll.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 12:36:50 PM »
Fugitive is correct. The damaged flap remains in the position it was in when damaged but appears to be gone.  Match the position of the damaged flap with the undamaged flap for easier flight.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 12:49:57 PM »
yeah, if you lose a flap while it's all the way in, no problem...  if you lose it with any bit dropped, it affects the plane as if that flap is stuck in place.  It's especially frustrating on planes that require a very low airspeed to drop flaps because the only way to regain controlled flight is to shed all of your speed and drop your other flap, then it acts like they're both out and flies nice and slow, but controllable.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 02:20:25 PM »

I shouldn't have been so short in my answer posting:

I should have expanded on it by saying bring the flaps back in or out to whichever notch is needed to get back to balanced/level flight.....I figured the slowing down part or speeding up part everyone knew, because the flaps are tied to the speed, whether they will come out or not depends on the speed one is going......

Also, this is posted in the Open Beta forum, so Zacherof? are you saying that AH3 beta is currently acting the same way as what happens in AH2 when a flap is shot off ( Jammed )?

my apologies for not going in exact detail in my original post, but I do not see where I was wrong in what I typed, just not very thorough in my explanation....

If you get a flap shot off on one side of your aircraft, then the plane will roll/tilt toward the side missing the flap/with the jammed flap due to the flap on the other side adding increased lift...... or is this incorrect?

Edit: if you lose a flap on one side while the flaps are all the way in ( no flaps dropped ), you will have a problem, if you try to drop flaps... you will be dealing with the roll/tilting of the plane in the direction with the flap shot off/jammed.....or does the remaining flap not work at all, if the flap(s) become jammed/shot off while thy are not in use? I honestly don't recall what the answer is....

TC

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 02:27:13 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 07:26:57 PM »
I'm pretty certain this should have posted this in another forum. Stupid moment for me. The intent was if they could address this in beta at some point.
I have actually not had a flap shot off yet. It's been the whole wing lately.

But I do understand what you are saying. I actually didn't understand really till you guys posted.
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 04:48:09 PM »
Which is the way it should work.

yeah, if you lose a flap while it's all the way in, no problem...  if you lose it with any bit dropped, it affects the plane as if that flap is stuck in place.  It's especially frustrating on planes that require a very low airspeed to drop flaps because the only way to regain controlled flight is to shed all of your speed and drop your other flap, then it acts like they're both out and flies nice and slow, but controllable.
Tour 70 2005 to present