Author Topic: Need B-29 knowledge from ET  (Read 744 times)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Need B-29 knowledge from ET
« on: March 24, 2016, 07:51:27 AM »
ET,

Did the B-29 have any kind of fire detection/warning system?  The B-17 or B-24 did not.

What kind of fire suppression system did it have?  The B-17 and B-24 originally had a chemical extinguisher system.  When restored for present day a Halon system was installed. 
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Re: Need B-29 knowledge from ET
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 02:48:53 PM »
ET,

Did the B-29 have any kind of fire detection/warning system?  The B-17 or B-24 did not.

What kind of fire suppression system did it have?  The B-17 and B-24 originally had a chemical extinguisher system.  When restored for present day a Halon system was installed.
:airplane: Yes, we had warning lights for each engine and it was a chemical system, as best I can remember! In 934 hours on the 29, I pulled the "bottles" one time on #4 over the sea of Japan. Fire went out at once and was not a problem! We had other engine fires in the squadron, but only one time that I can recall that the crew had to bail!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
Re: Need B-29 knowledge from ET
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 06:12:17 PM »
My father flew that infernal ( read inferno ) Wright engine on TransCanada Airline's L-1049's (super Connie) from 1956 to 1960. He used to say to me, they were truly grateful when the chemical suppressant worked.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.