Author Topic: Occulus rift alpha  (Read 3784 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Occulus rift alpha
« on: April 01, 2016, 03:42:16 PM »
Attached is a zip file containing the occulus rift support.

Unzip the 2 files ahocc.exe and ovrhtdlg.res into your normal acesh high beta folder.

DO NOT RENAME THESE OR FUTURE PATCHES WILL BREAK.

You will need a set of drivers that can run extended desk top mode.

I was testing with .6.0.1 run time.

If aces high sees your occulas it will automatically start with it. And the entry window will be labled such, but occulus should also be live for the interface.

With occulus the interface switches to a fixed position interface, currently the desk top is about 3feet away, and the clip board will stay where you put it.

Also there are more settings regarding the occulas in the GUI (options/preferences/GUI) to set the distance and size of your GUI plane.
DO NOT check the disable button , it will screw stuff up at the moment. If you do delete the GUI.cfg file in the settings folder.

When the GUI options is open, you can move the static windows like where the fps is displayed to any spot in the plane.
Currently only the info and damage displays are movable.

Also note the FOV settings in the video options should have no effect on the Occulus. There will be some type of configuration at a later time.

Let me know about any issues and your general thoughts on the interface, and general game play.
If I can figure out how, I hope to also keep a small desk top window open.

Ctrl F4 centers your Occulus.

Or you can remap "Tracker Center"

Known Issues.

Mouse some times will not work like you expect on the dlip board.

The gun sight is now drawn at 1000ft away, but this causes some issues where it displays out sight the normal sight glass. I need to write some clipping stuff.

HiTech

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
Re: Occulus rift alpha
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 08:16:53 AM »
Hitech do you plan on updating before release to the new 1.3 runtime which is what I think the cv1 requires?

Thanks
Terry

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 10:14:16 AM »
We are using DX9, do to the way occulus initialize the display in later releases I don't know of any way to do the moniotor  initializing in  dx9. If in later releases they will support extended desk top, then yes I would change to the newer version.

The actual code that mates to the device is very minor. The majority of work is in the changes to support 2 views, and a diff rent methodology for the gui. And these are all independent of the device being used,including 3d glasses.

Also this rewrite was designed to make integration into DX12 fairly straight forward. Even though we use DX9 we do not use any of the fixed function pipe line and are completely shader based.

So when we integrate DX12 we will then change the support for Occulus.

HiTech
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 10:17:11 AM by hitech »

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 12:55:08 PM »
We are using DX9, do to the way occulus initialize the display in later releases I don't know of any way to do the moniotor  initializing in  dx9. If in later releases they will support extended desk top, then yes I would change to the newer version.

The actual code that mates to the device is very minor. The majority of work is in the changes to support 2 views, and a diff rent methodology for the gui. And these are all independent of the device being used,including 3d glasses.

Also this rewrite was designed to make integration into DX12 fairly straight forward. Even though we use DX9 we do not use any of the fixed function pipe line and are completely shader based.

HiTech

Hi Hitech,

Somehow I was kinda hoping that this move was in the horizon......................
Already getting prepped for you in anticipation.........

Keeping my fingers crossed on the "other" eye tracking system being in your radar as well...........
Did I mention that I'm a very patient customer?

Keep up the good work, Boss!

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 01:52:26 PM »

HiTech

Yes, DX9 stopped being supported about a year ago, according to OculusVR.  For those needing to know more, here is Oculus' announcement, here:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/19489/directx-9-dx9-will-be-deprecated-starting-with-next-sdk

Obviously, that has some obvious implications for Oculus CV1 buyers and Aces High, of course, but there may be a general purpose solution (though I can't attest personally, since I have no way of testing this app).  See the Oculus Runtime Switcher here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4ckm38/oculus_runtime_switcher_0506070813_with_gui/

The runtime switcher "should" allow backwards compatibility with games built with previous runtimes.  It can switch between runtimes starting with 5.0 through present 1.3. Lot's of info and links in that thread, btw.

If anyone else needs all-around info regarding Oculus Rift CV1 and prior, here are two good sources:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oculus-rift-virtual-reality-hmd,4506.html

(I posted the link above a few days ago in the other Oculus Use thread.)

And…
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/index

(The wiki is a well-maintained source of info regarding Rift-relevant specs, available games, development issues, etc.)

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 02:19:31 PM »

HiTech

I have not received my cv1 yet but I tried the new 1.3 with the dk2 and the performance was significantly better. I also think that might have some impact on making you feel dizzy as I had that also back in the 600 days. The newer run times made that problem go away at least for me it did. If you go direct to dx12, would that mean we would need Windows 10 also? If so I guess that change is way in the future. With the huge amount of time you guys are spending on AH3, I am really surprised that you didn't at least move to dx11? I really think VR is a game changer for any type of simulation.

Terry

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 02:45:37 PM »
I have not received my cv1 yet but I tried the new 1.3 with the dk2 and the performance was significantly better. I also think that might have some impact on making you feel dizzy as I had that also back in the 600 days. The newer run times made that problem go away at least for me it did. If you go direct to dx12, would that mean we would need Windows 10 also? If so I guess that change is way in the future. With the huge amount of time you guys are spending on AH3, I am really surprised that you didn't at least move to dx11? I really think VR is a game changer for any type of simulation.

Terry

Shifting to any new API would probably be a fairly big deal, especially since many of us have concerns over Win10.  I wonder, would the new Vulkan API be a good answer to this issue?  I don't know enough about it yet, but it may be, by early accounts, a good alternative to the Win10-only DX12 dilemma.  More info here: https://www.khronos.org/vulkan/

And here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/246366/what-you-need-to-know-about-vulkan-which-promises-faster-games-on-every-platform/

The good news: it is implementable on Win 7 & 8 platforms, among others (which DX12 is not because of MS's Win10-only policy for DX12).  Might be worth a look-see by those who have the dev skills...

FWIW,

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 03:25:00 PM »
I miss spoke I meant DX11.

HiTech

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 04:08:37 PM »
You're using DX11 for AH3?  Or just for VR support?  If it's DX11 for AH3, how come it works on my Win XP system (DX9 only)?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 04:36:31 PM »
You're using DX11 for AH3?  Or just for VR support?  If it's DX11 for AH3, how come it works on my Win XP system (DX9 only)?

Noe dx9 future both

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 04:38:20 PM »
Yeah, I came back to edit my question as I figured out I misunderstood... but you're too fast for me.  ;)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 05:04:46 PM »
HT I can't get native tracking working, I still need to use opentrack. What am I doing wrong?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 06:30:19 PM »
HT I can't get native tracking working, I still need to use opentrack. What am I doing wrong?
[/quot.6 drivers and extended desk top?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 02:19:18 AM »
The 0.6 drivers and yes extended desktop. The game works fine, and I can get tracking working by using OpenTrack.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 08:43:36 AM »
Now I am really confused.

AH2  DX9

Beta DX11? 

Earlier versions it was DX9 for the future AH3