Author Topic: Occulus rift alpha  (Read 3780 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Occulus rift alpha
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 09:11:08 AM »
The 0.6 drivers and yes extended desktop. The game works fine, and I can get tracking working by using OpenTrack.

Does the game start up with the ovr window?

HiTech

Offline GrandpaChaps

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 02:00:48 PM »
Attached is a zip file containing the occulus rift support.

Unzip the 2 files ahocc.exe and ovrhtdlg.res into your normal acesh high beta folder.

DO NOT RENAME THESE OR FUTURE PATCHES WILL BREAK.

You will need a set of drivers that can run extended desk top mode.

I was testing with .6.0.1 run time.

If aces high sees your occulas it will automatically start with it. And the entry window will be labled such, but occulus should also be live for the interface.

With occulus the interface switches to a fixed position interface, currently the desk top is about 3feet away, and the clip board will stay where you put it.

Also there are more settings regarding the occulas in the GUI (options/preferences/GUI) to set the distance and size of your GUI plane.
DO NOT check the disable button , it will screw stuff up at the moment. If you do delete the GUI.cfg file in the settings folder.

When the GUI options is open, you can move the static windows like where the fps is displayed to any spot in the plane.
Currently only the info and damage displays are movable.

Also note the FOV settings in the video options should have no effect on the Occulus. There will be some type of configuration at a later time.

Let me know about any issues and your general thoughts on the interface, and general game play.
If I can figure out how, I hope to also keep a small desk top window open.

Ctrl F4 centers your Occulus.

Or you can remap "Tracker Center"

Known Issues.

Mouse some times will not work like you expect on the dlip board.

The gun sight is now drawn at 1000ft away, but this causes some issues where it displays out sight the normal sight glass. I need to write some clipping stuff.

HiTech

I only wish I had $500 to buy a new OR!  lol
Uncle Fred

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 02:55:08 PM »
lets have a AHIII dogfighting tournament and the winner gets a free Oculus Rift!     :airplane:
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2016, 03:44:54 PM »
Does the game start up with the ovr window?

HiTech

Yup, get 3D and proper rendering in game. I'm sure it's something really simple I am missing. No biggie though as Opentrack is fine for me.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 03:04:55 PM »
Did anyone beside vulcan try out the alpha?

HiTech

Offline Nurminen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 10:01:07 AM »
Yes, tested and headtracking works like in testprogram

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 02:31:41 PM »
Did anyone beside vulcan try out the alpha?

HiTech

Given the response to this so far, would now be a good time to publicly request testers from outside the current AH + headset user base? 

I could put out a request for volunteer testers on r/Oculus for folks there to investigate the Oculus alpha.  Something like “VR test Pilots needed.” along with whatever message HT wants to put out to that community.   From its ~72,000 registered users, there are probably a few VR pilots there who might be curious and want to help.  Many will already have flight sim experience, flight control rigs, Rift DK2s and may also have or are awaiting deliveries of their CV1s.   

However,  I don’t want to presume that HT is willing or ready to announce a call for input from non-AH players, how he’d want to couch such a message to them, or if/how he wants to set up a welcome mat for them (e.g., an alpha VR landing page with info on current VR builds & testing expectations).  Since the AH learning curve isn’t trivial and free trials are time-limited, requiring registration for longer access to the game, those are things that new guys may need to know before they dive in.   

HT, I have noticed that developers who personally interact with r/Oculus community tend to be shown a lot of respect by most of the average readers there—they’re hungry for VR content and appreciate the devs' work.  So if you want to handle something like this yourself, it may be more effective coming from you or other HTC reps.  Here is the link to that community again: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 02:49:48 PM »
Given the response to this so far, would now be a good time to publicly request testers from outside the current AH + headset user base? 

I could put out a request for volunteer testers on r/Oculus for folks there to investigate the Oculus alpha.  Something like “VR test Pilots needed.” along with whatever message HT wants to put out to that community.   From its ~72,000 registered users, there are probably a few VR pilots there who might be curious and want to help.  Many will already have flight sim experience, flight control rigs, Rift DK2s and may also have or are awaiting deliveries of their CV1s.   

However,  I don’t want to presume that HT is willing or ready to announce a call for input from non-AH players, how he’d want to couch such a message to them, or if/how he wants to set up a welcome mat for them (e.g., an alpha VR landing page with info on current VR builds & testing expectations).  Since the AH learning curve isn’t trivial and free trials are time-limited, requiring registration for longer access to the game, those are things that new guys may need to know before they dive in.   

HT, I have noticed that developers who personally interact with r/Oculus community tend to be shown a lot of respect by most of the average readers there—they’re hungry for VR content and appreciate the devs' work.  So if you want to handle something like this yourself, it may be more effective coming from you or other HTC reps.  Here is the link to that community again: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/

FWIW,

Wait for the next patch where we officially support it. Also the beta is not time limited, it's completely free.

And thanks for the heads up about going over there.

HiTech

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 10:58:34 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks, Hitech, for working on the 3D support.  I love flying around using the 3D glasses, and it'll be great to finally be able to use them in combat. 

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 05:01:39 PM »
I tried it but could not get it to work.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 10:50:08 AM »
I do not believe I will be officially supporting Oculus until I can port to DX11. With the last release Oculus , they pulled down all their previous drivers. And I have not been able to find a way to integrate DX9 into there current 1.3 version.

So the releases will include the support for the 0.6 driver set. But we will not be officially supporting or marketing it until the DX11 upgrade that I have been working on.

HiTech

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 01:51:04 PM »
I do not believe I will be officially supporting Oculus until I can port to DX11. With the last release Oculus , they pulled down all their previous drivers. And I have not been able to find a way to integrate DX9 into there current 1.3 version.

So the releases will include the support for the 0.6 driver set. But we will not be officially supporting or marketing it until the DX11 upgrade that I have been working on.

HiTech
Let me know when you do HiTech and I'll try it out for you.  I now have the 1.3.1 setup with my Oculus and can test for you when the DX11 upgrade is complete.

:salute
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 04:51:26 PM »

HiTech

Older SDK's are up here: https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/

Just select the older versions, I tried a download and it worked fine.

I do agree, it would not be considered official support if it only works with the older SDK. You'd get flak for saying so.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2016, 06:36:50 AM »

HiTech

I agree 100%. Have you said or are you willing to say how close the move to DX11 might be.

Terry

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2016, 02:02:08 AM »
lets have a AHIII dogfighting tournament and the winner gets a free Oculus Rift!     :airplane:

I might buy two and throw one away :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario