Author Topic: Occulus rift alpha  (Read 3786 times)

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
Re: Occulus rift alpha
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 11:28:57 AM »
I just tried out Patch 17 (using my nVidia 3D Vision 2 active-shutter glasses), and it looks like the gun-sights still aren't sitting at infinite distance, which is the biggie for flying in combat.  The game still looks great in 3D, though!  :)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 12:16:28 PM »
I just tried out Patch 17 (using my nVidia 3D Vision 2 active-shutter glasses), and it looks like the gun-sights still aren't sitting at infinite distance, which is the biggie for flying in combat.  The game still looks great in 3D, though!  :)

It only does when it is running AH native 3d.

HiTech

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 07:21:51 PM »
How are they supposed to look? I still see two separate images rendered on the gunsight plane, I have a very dominant left eye so my gunsight is always off (I actually turn off the gunsight completely and use the force). Because of the dominant left eye I thought this was normal.

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2016, 09:04:58 PM »
A real gunsight (as far as I know) makes it so that the sight seems to be way off in the distance, so you don't have to worry about using one eye or the other.  If it's close up at your face, neither sight will be on the enemy plane, they'll be on either side of the plane, making it not as useful as a sight...

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2016, 09:53:45 PM »
Turn off the feed for one eye of the reticle......
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »
The big problem with the gunsights right now is that they're pretty hard to see through to shoot anything when there're two laid on top of each other. 

Here's a screenshot I made that I posted in the other thread.  Since the dot of the enemy plane ends up being between the two sight dots, you can't exactly close one eye to lay one sight on the enemy plane either...

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2016, 05:28:33 PM »
That is one horrible parallax. Does this only happen when viewing through that window within a window in the game? The gunsight bmp file is shown to you in a second window. Do you have the same problem in the IL2 or with a bomber gun position that has fixed iron sights? Or only through that tiny portal? I noticed you presented the gunsight's projector lens as a single fixed object.

Or for oculus users and other virtual equipment, do I need to construct the gunsights to take advantage of the parallax making them look like one reticle structure? That gives me a headache visualizing if it is even possible.....  :O

Something like this??

My structure looks like this : -)(-
Parallax makes it look like this: (-)
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2016, 06:33:47 PM »
I was curious to see if he had tried any of the suggestions?  GuyNoir, did you:

HiTech

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2016, 07:19:03 PM »
Might be worth waiting to see if HT releases a DX11 port and we can use the later drivers.

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2016, 04:08:32 PM »
I was curious to see if he had tried any of the suggestions?  GuyNoir, did you:

Quote from: bustr
Quote from: hitech

HiTech

Sorry, I'm not sure how to turn off the feed for only one eye of the reticle.  Is that an in-game setting?  Also, I'm using nVidia shutter glasses, which do produce the same 3D effect when looking at my monitor, but they don't use the same drivers as the Oculus and the Vive. 

Basically, the drivers take whatever 3D information is already there in the game and make it parallax through the shutter glasses.  So, in 2D, the gunsight looks like it's sitting where it's supposed to and you would never know the difference, but in 3D, it's actually too close to your head (making you look cross-eyed to focus on it).  The projector lenses and everything else in the cockpit sit in correctly in space like they're supposed to.  It's just the 2D gunsight bmp that's the problem.  (and the enemy icon text)

The mockup I made above isn't a real screenshot.  I just doubled the gunsight in Photoshop to try to show you what I'm seeing in 3D.

Sorry, Hitech, I'm not sure what you mean in your quote above ("It only does when it is running AH native 3d.").  Is that referring to the drivers you wrote to get Aces High working with the Oculus Rift? (which wouldn't work for me since I'm using the shutter glasses and nVidia 3D Vision drivers)

Thanks.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2016, 04:14:42 PM »
Where do the bullets hit on the target in relation to the sights? Can't you do a custom sight that gives you a useful center dot?  ... 

Offline Sarrick

• Zinc Member
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2016, 08:26:19 AM »
I haven't been able to get head tracking to work. Any pointers?

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2016, 01:18:51 PM »
I haven't been able to get head tracking to work. Any pointers?

I believe that Oculus's change to its 1.3 runtime may have put the kibosh on Rift support until Hitech can make AH3 compatible with DX11 (so that he can utilize the 1.3 runtime). Hitech can elaborate on this far better than I can though.

If you're using an Oculus DK unit, as player Vulcan does, he's reported that he's able to play with a DK unit using Opentrack and Vorpx--Vulcan would have to speak as to the specifics on how to make that work. 

Also, FacetrackNoIR's latest builds purportedly have Oculus Rift support, but I don't know how effective it is.  It is open source, so there's no charge in trying it.  I've used previous builds of FTNOIR before and it worked fine as a standard head tracker, at least for me--YMMV.

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein