Author Topic: Video Card for better FPS and Graphics (2gb vs 4gb)?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
Video Card for better FPS and Graphics (2gb vs 4gb)?
« on: April 01, 2016, 04:36:40 PM »
Hi,

I have a Nvidia GTX 760 (2gb), never had FPS issues in AH2, always 50+fps. I am upgrading to a GTX 970 (4gb). Will this make a significant or even huge difference in AH3?

Thanks!
HamrDown

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Video Card for better FPS and Graphics (2gb vs 4gb)?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 04:46:46 PM »
You would be able to enable most of the eye candy with a standard 1920x1080 monitor. It would also help some with a bigger resolution or higher refresh rate.

Nothing fancy but most likely a noticeable difference.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 04:51:06 PM »
I have a GTX 970 4gb video card and I can run the beta with all the bells and whistles on (including environmental slider to full) and maintain a steady 60fps (vsync on), with it dipping to around 50-49fps when I'm on the deck (goes back to 60fps if I disable ground clutter).

Of course there are factors that might give you different performance with the GFX 970 but you can expect a marked improvement over the GFX 760 card in AH3 and other games as well.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 07:19:22 PM »
Hey AKAK, what computer spec's you running that on,so I can do some comparison, pm them if ya want to....

TIA

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 07:34:13 PM »
Hamr,

With HiTech moving forward into alpha testing VR, I would gamble to say that we are coming closer to the estimated "2 weeks"  :lol roll out of completed version.  (of course, we do not expect anything quite so soon as that).

I would seriously save that coin needed to purchase any upgrade right now, especially since your tweaking your GTX 760, will no doubt still have you in the game, and also give you experience that still may be very well needed with future upgrades.

I have been a loyal nvidia convert since almost the beginning days of AH.  This does not mean that if I could find something more suitable and at a better bargain that I would not jump ship. 

There is just something about spending load of coin and only advancing 2 series (700 to 900) and one generation (60 to 70) that tells me to wait if I can.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 11:59:31 PM »
Hey AKAK, what computer spec's you running that on,so I can do some comparison, pm them if ya want to....

TIA

TC

Intel Core i7-2600k @3.80Ghz
8GB RAM
MSI GeForce GTX 970
Winblows 7
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 10:24:20 AM »
Thanks Gents! :) I got a GTX 970 4G coming today, ended up only having to pay $70 out of pocket after Amazon allowed me to trade in for full credit my old GTX 760.  :x

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 12:20:43 PM »
Now, that's smart.  I am glad you got that deal, and believe that is coin absolutely well planned and spent.  :salute

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 02:01:12 PM »
Now that is a "no-brainer" kind of deal.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 02:04:38 PM »
So how did you get Amazon to go for a trade?  I have a 770 with 4 mb ram that I'm thinking of replacing with a 980......

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 02:43:07 PM »
The reason they gave me the full trade in credit was due to the fact that they accidentally debited my bank account when I ordered a GTX 960 by accident and then cancelled the order, the item never shipped. I told the customer service rep that I had intended to also trade in my GTX 760, but on the trade in items list it did not yet qualify. So...he said they would make a one time exception for me and gave me full credit to send back the GTX 760, and I had bought that card back in June 2014.  :confused: They did also finally credit my bank account for the accidental purchase. So I am very happy!

BTW, I have installed the a EVGA GTX 470 SC ACX model; and when in AH3 Beta, I have the AA turned off and getting great FPS, however, when I get over a base or town low, the FPS drops to 23-30. Is there anything that I do not have have set right?

Thanks!
HamrDown

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 02:52:21 PM »
HamrDown, setting the Environment Map slider to zero would help if you haven't already done that.

In densely built/populated areas the EM reflects every object nearby. The more objects there are, the more there is to be reflected. How often the reflection gets updated is up to the slider value. In any case, it's a killer.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 02:56:04 PM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 03:34:09 PM »
I found a setting that raised my FPS around towns and low alt; I disabled shadows. Not everywhere I get 50+ FPS. Thanks for the tip also. I will try to adjust the EM slider too.

<S>
HamrDown