Author Topic: Technical question about shooting  (Read 5389 times)

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
Re: Technical question about shooting
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 03:04:39 PM »
Is there a cross sectional view of this anywhere for the various planes, I'm flying an LA these days and would love to see the bullet stream from the side at various target distances
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 06:26:36 PM »
Is there a cross sectional view of this anywhere for the various planes, I'm flying an LA these days and would love to see the bullet stream from the side at various target distances

I'm not aware of any existing from data within AH.  However, you may find historical charts for bullet trajectories and actual harmonization charts, especially in aircraft manuals.  I imagine data for the Russian planeset is harder to locate.  (Perhaps, Bustr will be along here shortly with something.)

The real problem with creating charts like this is that different convergence range settings will yield different results.

So my first question would be: What convergence do you use (or want to use)?

I suppose you could make a chart at 325 yards (a good firing distance) and another at 650 yards (maximum AH convergence distance) and compare the two.

It wouldn't be all that hard to test and input this into an Excel file and then have it graph the results. In fact I'd be happy to meet up with you to walk you through testing this and making a chart for the La-7, if you like.  Reply here or PM me if you are interested in doing that. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 06:32:30 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 06:47:25 PM »
Appreciate it, let me give it a try first at say 300 - 400 and 500 (500 is my current setting).  I'm wondering, I just thought of trying F3 offline and being able to see the changes.  Hmmm be back in a bit
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 03:31:20 AM »
I'll try to post some pictures later today regarding shooting in the vert, Owlblink and Hungry, anyone who's interested. Kingpin is comprehensively covering harmonisation / convergence I think. About aiming under or holding low - just think of a plane with nose mounted armament to remove the lateral spacing aspects. Indeed in a K-4 with a convergence of 600 (which I gathered from Bustr once was the actual effectively the fixed value in the real aircraft) you will have to hold noticeably low at 2-300 yards otherwise the shot will arch over where your pepper is pointing so it would hit the pepper at 600 yards. This assumes where firing pretty well in the flat.

I think why I noticed no difference between armaments with my quick and dirty testing is that in the vert, the bullet drop as we perceive it - or rather distance travelled over time is the same for all projectiles, velocities and shapes: 50 cals, 30-mm, 20-mm, wheel nut off a 1950 Volkswagen Beetle, what-have-you. Gravity is still there but it's now pointing downwards to the gun barrel it came out of. But the sights are designed to cope with you shooting when flying flat. I'm fairly sure it's one of those things where at an incline of 45 degrees it'll be 0.707 of the drop it is in the flat. Does that make any sense?

There was a time in the Ki-84 when I used to fire all guns at once and I had my cowl-mounted MGs set to 150 and my cannon set to 600. At the time an awful lot of my shots where at an opponent crossing my wing line in planform so I wanted to make the dispersion as 'flat' as possible to stitch down the centreline. Here the 150 convergence of the cowl guns weren't 'lofting the shot' up to reach a harmonisation point at a farther distance on my gunsight and the wing-mounted guns, which are physically lower in the aircraft were. I'm fairly sure I tested this with the dot target thingamajig. I was quite scientific in those days (which can take you to certain points of development).

It's all very interesting but since I've got back I can't hit a barn door with my plane parked inside it, pointing at the doors with the doors closed! I believe H. J. Marseille, for instance, relied more on the kind of 'software' we use for throwing and catching balls. That takes a lot of practice to form the software and a lesser amount probably, to keep it up. So it's a perishable skill. Apparently  :mad:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 03:18:40 PM »
 :salute great read thank you all  :salute :cheers:

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »
I did some mucking about with shooting in the vertical in the TA a week or so ago.  My conclusion was pretty much inline with what Shida posted last.

What I discovered about shooting in the vertical, though, was that it made virtually 0 difference to my impact point out to about 500 yards.  It was hitting as close as I could aim.  Beyond that, dispersion was much more of a factor (K4).

So for me, I'm not going to worry about it much. ;)

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 08:01:21 PM »
Welcome back shida, I know the pain. Once I lost my aim (that was my only real saving grace when it was -good-) it was all over, but you talking about something like we used to run into in spit 5's back in the DA? I never really put much thought into it beyond "if I don't hit this shot I'm hosed", and got in a bad habit of forcing for the shot early on lol.  :salute

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 11:15:24 AM »
My aim is improving, slowly. I'm getting back into flying to set up an unloaded crossing shot and reminding myself to pull much more lead, when I must sattle up, so I can ease up on the elevator before letting loose a solid stream of lead.

The chalange is getting the enemy to cooperate in your attempt at getting to your favored range and in the desired sight picture. I prefer shooting at D200 but I'll fire out a stream of bullets at 400 if that's what I have to work with.
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 02:12:51 PM »
Something many of use scratch our heads over with lead has to do with how in turns at different alts we miss badly. At low to medium alts we can pull tight with a lot of G in our turns. When you believe you have your lead, the G built up by the turn at those alts requires about 1\3 of a 100Mil reticle radius additional to what you have already pulled for your firing solution. At high alts another 1\2 radius added onto your lead solution. The Air Force only really figured this out after WW2 and entering the Korean war because of the higher speeds and increased G loads from jets.

This comes out of those harmonization charts where the bullet drop in a 60 degree banked turn is calculated for 2, 3, 4 G at 1000ft. An M2 round at 1000ft 1G barely drops. In a 4G banked turn, it drops 20ft at 1000ft. Why BnZ maneuvers gives you better guns solutions. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 01:03:06 PM »
This is also why the cobra roll is considered to be an 'advanced' maneuver. The whole point of the maneuver is to 'force' your opponent into a stall, while simultaneously avoiding any chance that he might have of hitting you. The advanced part of the maneuver is knowing precisely when his aircraft has lost its ability to influence his nose, and it is then that the target fighter offers a nice juicy target that is coincidently turning into position above the shooters nose. When the shooter pulls for the shot his airplane becomes a falling leaf and an easy target for the energy fighter that is now on top and behind.

99.9% of the "top" sticks in this game fall for this 100% of the time, so once you learn it you can kill each and every one of them with ease.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 01:24:24 PM »
99.9% of the "top" sticks in this game fall for this 100% of the time, so once you learn it you can kill each and every one of them with ease.

Oh you great almighty, would you please please please teach me that maneuver?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2016, 10:41:15 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pugachev%27s_Cobra

- oldman

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 01:49:08 AM »

99.9% of the top sticks in this game do not fall for a common or garden rope 100% of the time in my experience.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 11:34:21 AM »

Think of "Topgun movie"...gonna hit the brakes and he'll fly right by... lol

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2016, 11:44:09 AM »
Thank you for all of the replies. If you see someone hitting the breaks in a 109-G6, that'd be me.  :salute
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni