Author Topic: Time for new card for AH3 fun  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Nosara

• Copper Member
Time for new card for AH3 fun
« on: April 04, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »
With the new AH 3 in mind I plan to upgrade my video card from a Nvidia Geeforce GT 720 to....................hmmmm. What should I get?  :joystick:

I5 4460 CPU @ 3.2 GHZ
10 G Ram

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Time for new card for AH3 fun
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 12:32:39 PM »
A few questions people may want to know before they answer:

What is your price range?

How many watts is your power supply rated for?

Do you have an AMD or NVidia preference?

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 01:04:59 PM »
With the new AH 3 in mind I plan to upgrade my video card from a Nvidia Geeforce GT 720 to....................hmmmm. What should I get?  :joystick:

I5 4460 CPU @ 3.2 GHZ
10 G Ram
You should get anything that is of same age or newer and with a model number that ends with at least 50, preferably 60 or more. You might also need a more powerful power supply but as oboe said, some more information would be needed.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 04:37:02 PM »
Plan on upgrading your computer to play AH3.

I get 45+ FPS in AH3, but I have a pretty good computer.

My System:
Precessor: Intel I-7 Quad Core 3.8ghz
Memory: 8G DDR3 memory
Hard Drives: 128G Solid State HD + 1 Terabyte Hitachi hard-drive partioned in 4 sections.
Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 (4G) Super Clocked with ACX cooling
Monitor: ASUS 24in LCD (Full HD - 1920 x1080)
Power Supply: 875w

<S> HamrDown
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:39:05 PM by HamrDown »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 06:10:39 PM »
Plan on upgrading your computer to play AH3.

I get 45+ FPS in AH3, but I have a pretty good computer.

My System:
Precessor: Intel I-7 Quad Core 3.8ghz
Memory: 8G DDR3 memory
Hard Drives: 128G Solid State HD + 1 Terabyte Hitachi hard-drive partioned in 4 sections.
Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 (4G) Super Clocked with ACX cooling
Monitor: ASUS 24in LCD (Full HD - 1920 x1080)
Power Supply: 875w

<S> HamrDown

and you have all the slider cranked all the way up right?

My video card isn't as new as yours but with almost everything at default and the eye candy turned on and shadows off and environment slider down I have a steady 59 fps pretty much every where I go.

Offline Nosara

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 12:30:49 PM »
After some study I will wait for the final AH3 to come out. I will need more power to go to a more advanced graphics card. Currently have 350 watts. I`ve thought about a change to the GT 750Ti, I was told it could improve things a good bit. The clock is faster but like my present card it has 2 G memory.
 I`m running AH3 now in the low 30s-40s. It has bogged down to mid upper teens with a lot going on. It is hit and miss with no happy medium FPS.

My goal is 50s fps all around with default settings.
Game current settings set at,
 1280-720
post light off
reflections off
shawdows off.
I do not want to turn any more off.

AH2 runs steady 60fps with all video maxed out.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 12:42:23 PM »
Compared to what I use and get your goal sounds reasonable. Also, waiting until the final product has been launched is a wise decision.  :salute
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 04:35:38 PM »
and you have all the slider cranked all the way up right?

My video card isn't as new as yours but with almost everything at default and the eye candy turned on and shadows off and environment slider down I have a steady 59 fps pretty much every where I go.

No, I turned off Shadows and Anti Aliasing. Other than that, I also set the slider at 0.

<S>
HamrDown

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 04:40:07 PM »
I doubt if GTX 750Ti will give a solid 50 fps with defaults. 

What you get with GTX 750Ti
Memory Bandwidth:   86.4 GB/sec
FLOPS:   1305.6 GFLOPS
Pixel Fill Rate:   16320 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate:   40800 MTexels/sec           
What you get with 6 year old GTX 580
Memory Bandwidth:   192.384 GB/sec
FLOPS:   1581.056 GFLOPS
Pixel Fill Rate:   37056 MPixels/sec
Texture Fill Rate:   49408 MTexels/sec

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:50:04 PM by Chilli »

Offline FishBait

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 07:38:06 PM »
No, I turned off Shadows and Anti Aliasing. Other than that, I also set the slider at 0.

<S>
HamrDown

This post really depresses me. I have comparable hardware excluding the video card & power supply. I was considering the 750Ti myself, as it would work with my current psu, but now it sounds like even after putting $300-400 into a GTX970 plus however much a compatible power supply would cost to run it I'd possibly be only getting 45 fps and that's not even with the graphics on high????

Are you sure there's nothing functionally wrong with your PC? Anything else dragging the video card during play? I'm having a hard time believing a 970 on a quad-core i7 would perform so poorly. It seems to contradict reports others are giving.

If your experience is typical, and nothing improves in release, I'm regretfully going to have to pull the plug on AH. I just can't justify throwing whatever amount of money is necessary to run 60fps and not have the game look like crap.

:bhead
-== Hell Hounds ==- Official Pooper Scooper

I've got 99 problems, but a HO aint one.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 08:52:43 PM »
I have one of those fancy 144Mhz monitors and I get 80-100 FPS with an older computer running a GTX960.  Got some eye candy turned on too.  Looks great, no issues. 

Note: Had some stuttering with HDMI cable.  Switched to dual link DVI, resolved.  DXDIAG attached. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 09:07:58 PM »
Fishbait,

Don't despair just yet.   I do think an i7 coupled with a GTX970 should run have no problem keeping FR above 60 (my opinion).   I have an i5 and a 3GB Radeon 280X and in most situations my frame rates are solid 59.  My texture size is 4096 and I have the sliders in the middle, and Environmental updates set to 1.  I run all the other options 'on'.

Another thing, I've played with the graphics sliders quite a bit and other than changes in frame rates, I can't tell a whole lot of difference.  That is to say, when I set the graphic sliders to least detail/max performance - I still think the game looks a lot bit better than AH2.    I'm pretty fussy, and I have never found any graphic setting where the game looks like crap.

I think a lot of people are changing the FOV to 106 to match AH2, but I've noticed if I leave it at AH3 default (80?), the aircraft seem larger - I can see details in the skins during a fight that I would've completely missed in AH2.  I have to say its impressive.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 09:24:23 PM »
This post really depresses me. I have comparable hardware excluding the video card & power supply. I was considering the 750Ti myself, as it would work with my current psu, but now it sounds like even after putting $300-400 into a GTX970 plus however much a compatible power supply would cost to run it I'd possibly be only getting 45 fps and that's not even with the graphics on high????

Are you sure there's nothing functionally wrong with your PC? Anything else dragging the video card during play? I'm having a hard time believing a 970 on a quad-core i7 would perform so poorly. It seems to contradict reports others are giving.

If your experience is typical, and nothing improves in release, I'm regretfully going to have to pull the plug on AH. I just can't justify throwing whatever amount of money is necessary to run 60fps and not have the game look like crap.

:bhead

I agree, he has something set wrong. My computer doesn't match his better computer yet I have no problems with AH3.

The 970 has been stated as the "best bang for your buck" in video cards right now for AH3. Sure you can get more expensive cards but wont see a BIG improvement over the 970, and you could get less expensive cards and see an ok improvement as compared to the 970.

Thats why I posted "and you have all the slider cranked all the way up right?" to Hamrdown. With that setup he should be doing MUCH better unless he has the environmental slider turned up or some other memory eating setting.

Offline lutrel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 09:39:54 PM »
I was having some frame rate issues while tanking in the woods, with a lot of action going on; frame rates would drop into the teens and the sounds would kind of hang up.  I got to checking around and found that in my NVIDIA Control Panel I had it set up to run dual monitors; I set it to a single monitor and I haven't been able to make the frame rates drop below 50 while tanking since.
Lutrel AkA "Lut"
CO ~Avengers~

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 12:04:32 AM »
I have a GTX 960 4gig,   i7 3.60 ghz
have no issues..
60FR almost constantly..all sliders up to max eyecandy..
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."