Author Topic: Time for new card for AH3 fun  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Time for new card for AH3 fun
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 05:13:18 AM »
This post really depresses me. I have comparable hardware excluding the video card & power supply. I was considering the 750Ti myself, as it would work with my current psu, but now it sounds like even after putting $300-400 into a GTX970 plus however much a compatible power supply would cost to run it I'd possibly be only getting 45 fps and that's not even with the graphics on high????

Are you sure there's nothing functionally wrong with your PC? Anything else dragging the video card during play? I'm having a hard time believing a 970 on a quad-core i7 would perform so poorly. It seems to contradict reports others are giving.

If your experience is typical, and nothing improves in release, I'm regretfully going to have to pull the plug on AH. I just can't justify throwing whatever amount of money is necessary to run 60fps and not have the game look like crap.

:bhead

1) Disregard what frame rate people are saying, unless they do it with the default settings.

2)  Even with all the advanced settings disabled, AH3 looks better than AH2 does with everything enabled.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 09:36:58 AM »
Fishbait,

Don't despair just yet.   I do think an i7 coupled with a GTX970 should run have no problem keeping FR above 60 (my opinion).   I have an i5 and a 3GB Radeon 280X and in most situations my frame rates are solid 59.  My texture size is 4096 and I have the sliders in the middle, and Environmental updates set to 1.  I run all the other options 'on'.

Another thing, I've played with the graphics sliders quite a bit and other than changes in frame rates, I can't tell a whole lot of difference.  That is to say, when I set the graphic sliders to least detail/max performance - I still think the game looks a lot bit better than AH2.    I'm pretty fussy, and I have never found any graphic setting where the game looks like crap.

I think a lot of people are changing the FOV to 106 to match AH2, but I've noticed if I leave it at AH3 default (80?), the aircraft seem larger - I can see details in the skins during a fight that I would've completely missed in AH2.  I have to say its impressive.

The 970GTX runs monitor refresh rate with sliders up and shadows off.  I did not like the shadows.  Even then the 970GTX more then fills the bill.  I am running one @60fps constant.

I had a GTX750Ti and it played all the time from 59fps to 40fps same settings.  These are facts. I still have the 750Ti.  It more then does the job, it won't hold monitor refresh all the time but the lowest it ever dipped in my case was 25fps.  Don't believe everything you hear.  Some don't know how to set the game or the card up properly.

If anyone wishes to have my GTX750Ti you are most welcome.  I will give it free to someone who just needs a card to be able to play the game.  Make sure you have the power supply to run it.  If you do PM me and it is yours.  I would not give it away if I knew it wouldn't play the game. Need a pcie slot, it's a large card.  Ensure your pc has room for it.

Don't believe everything you hear.  Skuzzy, HTC and a few on these boards have the knowledge.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:38:57 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 12:23:52 PM »
This post really depresses me. I have comparable hardware excluding the video card & power supply. I was considering the 750Ti myself, as it would work with my current psu, but now it sounds like even after putting $300-400 into a GTX970 plus however much a compatible power supply would cost to run it I'd possibly be only getting 45 fps and that's not even with the graphics on high????

Are you sure there's nothing functionally wrong with your PC? Anything else dragging the video card during play? I'm having a hard time believing a 970 on a quad-core i7 would perform so poorly. It seems to contradict reports others are giving.

If your experience is typical, and nothing improves in release, I'm regretfully going to have to pull the plug on AH. I just can't justify throwing whatever amount of money is necessary to run 60fps and not have the game look like crap.

:bhead

I have been getting a solid 50-60 fps now with FOV at 106 (AH2 default). I have all setting on except I turned off shadows and Anti-Aliasing. I have environment slider to set "1". Everything looks very good!

<S>
HamrDown

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 12:37:02 PM »
Don't believe everything you hear.  Skuzzy, HTC and a few on these boards have the knowledge.
Skuzzy, HTC and more than a few on these boards are countering your assessment. 

I am with some others.  Evidence points toward it being more likely your settings, or something else is causing your issue, not the card.   
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline FishBait

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 01:44:10 PM »
The 970GTX runs monitor refresh rate with sliders up and shadows off.  I did not like the shadows.  Even then the 970GTX more then fills the bill.  I am running one @60fps constant.

I had a GTX750Ti and it played all the time from 59fps to 40fps same settings.  These are facts. I still have the 750Ti.  It more then does the job, it won't hold monitor refresh all the time but the lowest it ever dipped in my case was 25fps.  Don't believe everything you hear.  Some don't know how to set the game or the card up properly.

If anyone wishes to have my GTX750Ti you are most welcome.  I will give it free to someone who just needs a card to be able to play the game.  Make sure you have the power supply to run it.  If you do PM me and it is yours.  I would not give it away if I knew it wouldn't play the game. Need a pcie slot, it's a large card.  Ensure your pc has room for it.

Thanks for the info, from you & everyone else who's replied.

Based on Skuzzy's input, the only thing I really care about is frame rate. If the game will look as good or better than AH2 with all the graphics options turned down, and I can pull 60fps from the 750, I'll be more than happy. It sounds like this will be the case.

BTW.. PM sent! Hope it's not too late  :banana:
-== Hell Hounds ==- Official Pooper Scooper

I've got 99 problems, but a HO aint one.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 03:30:33 PM »
If you are looking for a budget card then the 960 is your best option ($200 range)
If you can afford to pay a little more then the 970 or 980 ($300-$400 range) will give you all the fps you need
to enjoy the visual experience of AH3. Make sure you scrub your old drivers thoroughly before loading new drivers.

Amazon and TigerDirect have good prices online.
Newegg offers great deals as well.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 04:09:06 PM »
The GTX 750Ti card is spoken for.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 11:38:30 AM »
After some study I will wait for the final AH3 to come out. I will need more power to go to a more advanced graphics card. Currently have 350 watts. I`ve thought about a change to the GT 750Ti, I was told it could improve things a good bit. The clock is faster but like my present card it has 2 G memory.
 I`m running AH3 now in the low 30s-40s. It has bogged down to mid upper teens with a lot going on. It is hit and miss with no happy medium FPS.

My goal is 50s fps all around with default settings.
Game current settings set at,
 1280-720
post light off
reflections off
shawdows off.
I do not want to turn any more off.

AH2 runs steady 60fps with all video maxed out.

I just wanted to clarify, the 750Ti should do a good job as Hajo has attested.  My post was intended to make sure that Nosara, understood that with default settings, it was improbable that he would stay above 50 fps in all situations.  Hajo confirmed this in his post, that I will paraphrase, FPS ~ 59 to 40, with the lowest ~25.  Settings sliders up and shadows off

Default settings includes shadows, and also environment map slider at 1.  Since I don't have the 750Ti, the comparison to the GTX 580, was to show that there are other components of a video card besides dedicated video memory and clock speed.  How that will affect the final version of AH3 is still a question mark for now.   Hopefully, this thread will avoid anyone grabbing any "new" video card and ramping everything to max and expecting solid 60 fps framerates  or better.  Also, I hope that most will have the patience to wait until final version (or the most "stable" memory configuration for beta) has been announced.

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 11:52:08 AM »
I just wanted to clarify, the 750Ti should do a good job as Hajo has attested.  My post was intended to make sure that Nosara, understood that with default settings, it was improbable that he would stay above 50 fps in all situations.  Hajo confirmed this in his post, that I will paraphrase, FPS ~ 59 to 40, with the lowest ~25.  Settings sliders up and shadows off

Default settings includes shadows, and also environment map slider at 1.  Since I don't have the 750Ti, the comparison to the GTX 580, was to show that there are other components of a video card besides dedicated video memory and clock speed.  How that will affect the final version of AH3 is still a question mark for now.   Hopefully, this thread will avoid anyone grabbing any "new" video card and ramping everything to max and expecting solid 60 fps framerates  or better.  Also, I hope that most will have the patience to wait until final version (or the most "stable" memory configuration for beta) has been announced.

Good point Chilli. I know that the final version will be better as well and hopefully the staff at Hi Tech will provide some guideline or suggestions or recommendations to graphics settings based on three levels of overall PC configurations, etc.

I consider my PC to be in the top 25%, older I-7 Quadcore processor and MB, but new higher end video card.

(Alienware Aurora 2 Desktop with 875w PSU, i-7 870 processor running at 3.8ghz, 8g Corsair DDR3 memory (PC1600), EVGA GTX970 SC with ACX cooling, 24in ASUS HD monitor)

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 11:54:35 AM »
I have a GTX 960 4gig,   i7 3.60 ghz
have no issues..
60FR almost constantly..all sliders up to max eyecandy..

What Sliders are you referring to? Can you post pics of your current settings for graphics?

Thanks,
HamrDown

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 12:10:28 PM »
I'm having a hard time believing a 970 on a quad-core i7 would perform so poorly. It seems to contradict reports others are giving.

I don't think it's the card that is causing his low frame rates, there is something else with his system that is preventing him from getting higher frame rates.  I pretty much have the same system specs he has and can run AH3 with graphics on full with a steady 60fpsm (v-sync on).
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 11:39:48 AM »
I don't think it's the card that is causing his low frame rates, there is something else with his system that is preventing him from getting higher frame rates.  I pretty much have the same system specs he has and can run AH3 with graphics on full with a steady 60fpsm (v-sync on).

I have a first generation Intel I-7 870 processor, and this plus my motherboard is 5 years old. The new components are 8g Corsair DDR3 memory (PC1600) and a EVGA GTX 970 4G video card. I believe my bottle neck to the performance that you are getting is the processor and the only thing I could do, but did not want to is to totally replace my motherboard and CPU, and that is yet more money I do not want to spend, and would require a complete clean wipe and reinstall of Windows and ALL my games and programs.

<S>
HamrDown

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 11:48:59 AM »
If you have modified the global settings in Nvidia Control Panel then you need to reset everything to application controlled, or defaults. Otherwise you are cheating yourself.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »
turn environment mapping to "0" if your suffering FPS issues. 

Also try playing the beta for longer than 5-10 minutes.  I find my ancient machine runs better when all the objects etc get loaded in.  I have an old dual core E6600 and a 2Gb ATI 5850 and it runs 50-60 FPS with most additional eye candy off.   Still looks and runs smoother than AH2. 

I will upgrade when the time comes though because this tower is 8 years old, only thing I added was the 5850.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2016, 12:44:56 PM »
turn environment mapping to "0" if your suffering FPS issues. 

Also try playing the beta for longer than 5-10 minutes.  I find my ancient machine runs better when all the objects etc get loaded in.  I have an old dual core E6600 and a 2Gb ATI 5850 and it runs 50-60 FPS with most additional eye candy off.   Still looks and runs smoother than AH2. 

I will upgrade when the time comes though because this tower is 8 years old, only thing I added was the 5850.   
I agree with bruv119. I have spoken to skuzzy and he said that Environment Mapping doesn't really matter in the game because you wont notice much of a difference and it will suck your video card down. He said Environment Mapping is only good when making videos, that it should be enabled then.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2