Author Topic: ASUS X99 E-WS  (Read 755 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
ASUS X99 E-WS
« on: May 05, 2016, 05:41:15 PM »
Hopefully, the i7-6850K will drop right in to this MB. Or, depending on availability the i7-6950X would be the first extreme CPU I have bought for some time. Octa core versus hexa core? I have four applications that could make use of the octa core processor (I think), and it would be very handy to have that extra processing, but it really depends on pricing. Generally, I get about three years out of a CPU before I replace it, so it has to fall into a certain range of affordability. Intel has been very practical up until now, but suddenly this CPU is priced at $1500 (estimated).

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-6850k-vs-core-i7-5820k-benchmarks/

Standard memory support is up to 2400 MHz, and that's nice to see, but I find myself wanting more.

The E-WS MB can support 4-way SLI, and yes that's the direction I am headed. Linus doesn't recommend it, Holzman is against it, so of course I have to do it. And, yes, Pascal. Four glorious HBM2 cards, if they even make them this year.

Trying to remain patient for more information, but I think that MB is the one.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: ASUS X99 E-WS
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 05:50:57 PM »
It's one of the ones I"m considering too, definitely going to build a Broadwell E, just waiting too to see which MB to go with.  Some new ones coming out too, I'd like a dual m.2 to run RAID with that.  So far as which CPU, I'm thinking 6850 too, seems to be the best bang/$ for gaming rigs, I don't really do the video compiling thing/etc so I don't worry nearly as much about application speed/power as I do gaming.  IF the price isn't outrageous as stated now, I'd prefer the 6900, but after building a 5960x (got it cheap), I'm not spending nearly 2000 CDN on a CPU for gaming, that's for sure.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 06:09:47 PM »
Yeah, what I'm really waiting on is the workstation cards. I want that reliability. Gaming cards and consumer drivers just don't get there.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 12:08:09 PM »
 :salute i7 series changing fast now or just the latest? :cheers:

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 12:37:44 PM »
i7 is really just a brand modifier. There are now many socket types with the i7 brand modifier, which really just means that it is a high-level CPU (or higher-end for that generation). The 6850k is just one of the latest for the LGA 2011-v3 socket, which many people often refer to as the X99 series, or Haswell-E. X99 is the chipset, Haswell-E the CPU, and 2011-v3 the socket in the motherboard. So far you can get away with using any of those names to refer to the series because they are exclusively related to one another.

These new CPUs (Broadwell-E) are 'just' the latest, meaning they will be the top end of desktop or workstation systems at the consumer level (for now). There are more powerful systems, but typically the CPUs are into the multi-thousands.

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 02:56:03 PM »
 :salute do you gents  think they will create a new chip set. I mean beyond  the x99.  :cheers:

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 03:01:33 PM »
Eventually, but it will probably be years from now.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 12:30:21 PM »
Some new B-W x99 boards from Asus have had some details released.  Deluxe and Gamer look OK, price is about what I expected.  I still don't get why they omit having 2 m.2 on a gaming board, yet put it on the Deluxe - if anyone is going to want to/risk dual booting their m.2 drives it's the high end gamers.

http://wccftech.com/asus-x99-broadwell-e-motherboards-rog-deluxe/

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »
Why do you need to?