Author Topic: Beta 17 Released: Issues/Bug Reports  (Read 17959 times)

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Re: PT Boat - Shoreline Problem
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2016, 10:24:25 AM »
  I took a PT boat out for a spin just now and at full speed attempted to beach it.
Both times, the PT noses down at the shorline and proceeds to "burrow" into the earth,
at which point it does a bizzare continuance (without the PT boat itself) where the "pilot"
is seeming continuing ashore at high speed .... without the PT...

I tried the same with a different result. The boat slid up on the shore and stopped. No burrowing and I stayed in the boat. The issue I did note as that it continued to bob with splashing sounds as if in the water even though it was completely grounded with the stern several feet from the water.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Re: Beta 17 Released: Issues/Bug Reports
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2016, 11:39:54 AM »
Turret rotation in tanks is less smooth and controllable in the commander's position than in the gunner's position which makes it very hard to aim precisely from the commander's position. That's not the case in AH 2. Perhaps this is intentional. I like to fight as much as possible from the commander's position to take advantage of the wider field of view. It's difficult in AH3 because of the jerky turret movement.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2016, 11:49:56 AM »
Turret rotation in tanks is less smooth and controllable in the commander's position than in the gunner's position which makes it very hard to aim precisely from the commander's position. That's not the case in AH 2. Perhaps this is intentional. I like to fight as much as possible from the commander's position to take advantage of the wider field of view. It's difficult in AH3 because of the jerky turret movement.

Move the axis curve to the right, as I mentioned in the control setup video here (not a perfect video, but it gets the point across):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl1jBTx1HJA
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2016, 02:00:19 PM »
I use a thumb marble mouse to turn the turret which removes the scaling issues using your joystick. But, since you have four modes, tweek the heck out of your x-axis to remove the problem. Had to do that with my rudder pedals for steering GV. My mouse marble makes 1Mil in any direction changes in gunner mode very controllable for long range ranging shots.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2016, 02:07:46 PM »
Move the axis curve to the right, as I mentioned in the control setup video here (not a perfect video, but it gets the point across):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl1jBTx1HJA

Thanks,

Very good video. I learned a few things I didn't know even after 10 years of playing.  I scaled my flight controls but never scaled them for GVs. It did help but the control is still not as smooth when zoomed in from the commander's position as in the gunner's position.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2016, 02:23:34 PM »
Glad you liked it. Just trying to help.

If you don't have a high enough frame rate the appearance could be that it is 'sticky,' or what have you. Generally, if you just move the curve to the right it will be smoother, and the slower the curve rises the smoother the center will be also.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2016, 02:31:10 PM »
I'm seeing a frame rate in the 70s. I've been in AH3 for the last few minutes checking this and I still find that the turret control is less smooth when zoomed in the commander's position than in the gunner's position and the scaling doesn't seem to be the same. It's smooth as silk in the gunners position.  I've tried it with several tanks.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2016, 02:32:56 PM »
Good bug report maybe? I'll check it out.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2016, 02:36:12 PM »
Offline on my gunnery terrain.

Upped a PT boat at a port. Ran it at full speed across the bay into a shore line. PT boat kept going under the dry land but executed a slow spin around the pilot's position.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2016, 02:42:56 PM »
I'm seeing a frame rate in the 70s. I've been in AH3 for the last few minutes checking this and I still find that the turret control is less smooth when zoomed in the commander's position than in the gunner's position and the scaling doesn't seem to be the same. It's smooth as silk in the gunners position.  I've tried it with several tanks.

I just tested this with my joystick. Commander mode or gunner mode, zoomed or un-zoomed the travers is smooth. Your issue may be with your video card, joystick, or both together. What happens if you setup your mouse to control your GV commander\gunner positions? Do you have another joystick to test with?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2016, 02:56:04 PM »
I can confirm otherwise, but only when using a mouse. There seems to be finite positions in which you can aim from the Commander's position while using a mouse. It didn't matter at which polling rate (resolution) the mouse was set for the aiming point was not smooth. The same position with a joystick is smoother, but still not as smooth as when in the gunner position. The difference is slight, but you can clearly see it when using a mouse in the Commander's position.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2016, 03:02:36 PM »
Thanks,

Very good video. I learned a few things I didn't know even after 10 years of playing.  I scaled my flight controls but never scaled them for GVs. It did help but the control is still not as smooth when zoomed in from the commander's position as in the gunner's position.

In part two I fixed the mode change buttons, which I mentioned and then skipped over in Pt 1, and then I explain direct mode versus indirect without actually showing indirect mode (for obvious reasons).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCX8IdA8AMc

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2016, 03:56:58 PM »
I can confirm otherwise, but only when using a mouse. There seems to be finite positions in which you can aim from the Commander's position while using a mouse. It didn't matter at which polling rate (resolution) the mouse was set for the aiming point was not smooth. The same position with a joystick is smoother, but still not as smooth as when in the gunner position. The difference is slight, but you can clearly see it when using a mouse in the Commander's position.

Are you talking about that slight rewrite stutter that sometimes is visible or are you trying to make the joystick traverse the POV at the slower speed the turret traverses? The difference in relative motions is stark with a marble mouse. You really see it traversing the manned 88mm waiting for it to swing even 45 degrees. And the 17lb, if I 2want to see a fast traverse in zoomed mode, I start the traverse in un-zoomed then goto zoom while the barrel auto pans. You see this same effect with the tank turrets even though they traverse faster.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2016, 04:10:28 PM »
I'm talking about lining up a precise alignment between and aim point and any aiming device from the Commander's position. Using the mouse you will see the same thing that a CAD operator sees when grid snaps are on. You cannot line up a shot between grid points, whereas with the joystick you can. Changing the resolution of the mouse doesn't really change anything, except how much movement is required before the next grid point is met.

So, Condor is right.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2016, 04:23:51 PM »
I can already do that with my joystick.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing