Author Topic: a thought for fun, opinions wanted  (Read 6013 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
a thought for fun, opinions wanted
« on: April 18, 2016, 07:38:16 AM »
ok folks, let me know what you think! 1 map, 2 hour battle time once a week. same map for the whole year. to include bomber missions, defense missions, base capture and yes even vulching if necessary, will ask that HO'ing be kept to a minimum. could be ETO, MTO, pacific or Eastern front. 1 map a year

will need both axis and allied forums active. will keep a running map with lines drawn for where the front is. once  a base is captured, after 2 weeks, the enemy is allowed to try to recapture it back plus given their regular objective. orders will be given out like with FSO but in the forum. bases will be taken or lost and that's part of the war. at the end of the year, the side with the most forward motion wins. thought about running it at 1pm EST on sundays, so the Europeans could get involved and the west coasters! either that or Saturday nights 9 or 10pm EST. This would be a 2 sided battle with Base capture being part of it, by any means necessary. the idea is to instill tactics and cunning versus brute force. it will be about the allies getting to berlin, or capturing Germany, versus the axis not only holding off the allies, but possibly capturing England, Russia or whatever. its a year long war if you will.

I figure each pilot can do 2 bombing missions. 3 fighter missions, and then all GV's or gunner/observer.

what do you guys think?? I need everyone to chime in on this one!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: a thought for fun, opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 07:55:01 AM »
I find it .... intriguing.  :cheesy:

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 08:40:27 AM »
I really like the idea...yet I think a year is too long...I might be in the minority but maybe 6 months or every 3 or 4 months rotate the map...

You'll get the same people playing every "frame" with walkons here and there depending on the time of year, weather, ect....

But a year would make a really good on-going scenario...but I think the "newness" of the event would wear off soon...

Have them run 4 months you could do the whole war early, mid, late on the same front over the course of a year...

I do like the idea and would try to show up though  :rock :rock :rock 
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 09:20:55 AM »
a year would make it like a real war. all aspects of the game will be used. bomber missions will bomb targets. radar will be used, with some delay. even air traffic controllers will be used to prevent air strikes. gv's will capture bases. fighters and c47's will capture bases. the idea of a year is to make it realistic. there will be a page dedicated to show the battle front and how it changes. if Germany stops England and starts to capture bases in England, so be it. this is not a historical set up in that it ends the same way, its a historical war with historical pieces, but how it ends is up to the community.

I thought about having tower only radar, so that someone can sit in the tower and direct air defense to stop an attack! would probably have some delay in the radar but close enough.
id like to time it so that the Europeans can participate too. I want everyone to WANT to participate in this.

if number start to dwindle, we can revisit the length of time. we can also have a poll to see what theater would like to start with. this will be a full scale cartoon war, if you will.
tactics can be used sneakiness and cunning can be used. everything is a tactic.

the entire war will be objective driven. orders will be released in the forums and how commands complete them will be up to them.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:27:43 AM by captain1ma »

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 10:08:18 AM »
The concept has great potential.

Some detailed questions:

• Side switching? Over the course of the year.
  • Kill shooter?
  • Who chooses the missions and targets?
  • Who chooses the order of battle? That is, the type and mix of planes.
  • Task groups available? Can TGs be captured?

I can see a 15 minute early show time to hash out plane assignments and objectives.

The idea of an ebb and flow battle is appealing.

GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »
well we're still spitballing here, but I was thinking about that.

1 side switching..... by request only, but you cant switch until the following week.

2 kill shooter..... im not sure, probably on, but if the consensus was off, we'd turn it off

3. I would like a the axis command chose a target one week and the allies chose the next week. would also be multiple targets in order, so that if one base was captures they could move on to the next target, with a maximum of 3 targets per frame.

4. we would want input from the community, but only certain planes at certain bases. all would be close to the battle grounds. some bases could have multiple fighters but only one bomber type per field.

5. im not sure about capturing task groups, we sank them, we never captured them. if in a pacific setup. you would have to protect your carrier, while attacking your enemies, and vice versa. Manned guns WOULD be active! as with bases, manned guns would be active!

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 11:03:41 AM »
I think you may be onto something here jeager. I do agree that a year may be a little long though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 11:11:39 AM »
like I said, we can tweak it as necessary. right now its all in the planning/discussion stages so nothing is written in stone.

the objective of this whole thing is to capture and conquer by any means necessary.

I want to incorporate commanders or a command staff, so that a group effort is made to pick targets and to use resources to accomplish a mission.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:18:24 AM by captain1ma »

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 11:29:30 AM »
urge to join quarterly war map scenario rising... 

Very cool idea, bit more FSO/event orientated vs Main Arena style would always be welcome by the more "historical" crowd here.

I would participate when/if available. kewl extension of the main arean with a more "serious" feel. 
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 11:57:57 AM »
that's why we'd run it in Axis vs Allies arena, and we will be using manned guns and radar, things that don't get used in the FSO. this will be about base capture!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:41:56 PM by captain1ma »

Offline OSS

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 12:58:38 PM »
This could be really cool. I think the map would need to remain open but with everything disabled so operations and missions can be planned or put together while actually sitting in the tower. IE, mission planners can speak on VOX while looking at the map. Side switching would definitely need a down time, as I can imagine the forum would need the ability to allow only Axis, or only Allied members so they can discuss plans and get ready for the upcoming week's operation.

Not sure about timing though, as it seems that by implementation we may be running AH3 right? So about two weeks?  :lol

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 01:48:41 PM »
yeah but that's ok, we have a AVA arena in AH3 and are ready to use it. actually we have Thursday night tank fights in there. we don't have a lot of maps, but we have a Germany map and that's what I would use for the first run. this would give the AVA terrain team time to build us some more custom/historical terrains. the map would only be up for when we actually have the missions, and probably a few hours before, but you can always load the terrain into an offline arena, and use it for planning/testing and execution.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 01:54:24 PM by captain1ma »

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 03:34:51 PM »
Would it be a squad scored event like FSO or country or individual?

I'm competitive.....like the idea for sure.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 04:34:51 PM »
I like this idea.

I agree with the others on a shorter campaign length being more beneficial. I think 3 months would be best. Also, I would try to incorporate something other than base captures for objectives.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 05:25:27 PM »
it would be a side scored war, the most captures wins. you have to remember, this will cover all aspects of the game.... or most of them. tank fights, dog fights, bombers, tactics, everything. in the AVA we cant do logs so the only choice is all out battle and the conquering side wins. I could give score to each base captured, but the idea behind this is a concerted effort by one SIDE to beat the other side.

we could run it for 3 months and an see if people like it, as an experiment. This would help us iron out
all the bugs and rules and scoring and what not and see how things work.

this about fighting and about combat. you will be limited in planes, bombers artillery. if the enemy hits your base and knows out your vh's and guns, they will be able to capture it. if 2 week later, you decide to take it back. it will count as a capture. at the end of the time. the side with the most captures wins.

if you all are really this interested in this, ill start writing it up for real. ill put it together and we'll all figure out what works.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 05:28:59 PM by captain1ma »