Author Topic: Film capture  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Film capture
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 12:09:40 AM »
Isn't OBS limited to 30fps? It's kind of the whole point of using a capture card at all, AND a second system.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 06:19:21 PM »
Isn't OBS limited to 30fps? It's kind of the whole point of using a capture card at all, AND a second system.

Heck no, I capture at 60fps using OBS all the time. It can do 120fps if you want, which requires you to... check a box in the advanced settings: https://jp9000.github.io/OBS/settings/advancedsettings.html

Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 01:23:02 AM »
Yeah, I know better than to think for even one second that it works.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 09:27:56 AM »
Yeah, I know better than to think for even one second that it works.

What are you even going on about?  OBS works, capturing at over 30fps with OBS works.  And its the best solution by far anyone has posted in this thread.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 10:55:55 AM »
No, it's not. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've been there and done that. The best solution is to use Premiere Pro capture directly from something like the Elgato. Premiere Pro can use Blackmagic cards, AJA Kona cards, and so on. Even OBS has the ability to use capture cards, so thinking the software alone is the better solution is not realistic.

If you want smooth consistent video capture the best solution is a second computer. You should have known I already tried every possible solution before I went to that.

The second system doesn't even have to be anything special. A CPU that has onboard video, a quality sound card (a good X-Fi for instance), and a PCIe bus to support the Elgato/Kona 4/BlackMagic capture card, a hard drive, and Adobe Premiere Pro and you're in business.

OBS alone can't compare.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 12:55:33 PM »
No, it's not. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've been there and done that. The best solution is to use Premiere Pro capture directly from something like the Elgato. Premiere Pro can use Blackmagic cards, AJA Kona cards, and so on. Even OBS has the ability to use capture cards, so thinking the software alone is the better solution is not realistic.

If you want smooth consistent video capture the best solution is a second computer. You should have known I already tried every possible solution before I went to that.

The second system doesn't even have to be anything special. A CPU that has onboard video, a quality sound card (a good X-Fi for instance), and a PCIe bus to support the Elgato/Kona 4/BlackMagic capture card, a hard drive, and Adobe Premiere Pro and you're in business.

OBS alone can't compare.

I just said I was using a capture card right here in this thread: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,378910.msg5047375.html#msg5047375  Maybe you should catch up before responding with, "I know better than to think for even one second that it works."

Second point, it does work.  Go ahead and challenge this one, tell me all the (1080p60) video files on my hard drive, and hundreds of thousands of other people who've been doing this since 2012, are all fake.

Third point, the best solution for everyone who is not you does not involve a $1400 capture card and premium software (sorry to burst your bubble), certainly not at 1080p60.  That software doesn't add any value at all to video capturing anything that's getting uploaded to YouTube compared to OBS, which is free.

Fourth point, given equal bitrates and assuming you're not reducing your frames due to CPU usage, OBS's game capture mode is technically superior to a video capture card and a second computer due to fewer and better chroma subsampling changes, not that anyone would notice.  And you seem real certain that OBS game capture mode can't create "smooth consistent video" for someone who has never used it.  Why don't you try it before trashing it?

Last point, is it seriously your recommendation to the general Aces High Beta tester (or just to 8thJinx, who asked for "film capture software recommendations"), to buy a 2nd computer ($500-1000), a $1400 capture card, and $750 Premiere Pro to do "film capture" as asked about in this thread, when OBS can do it all for free?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 01:01:19 PM by BoilerDown »
Boildown

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 01:22:34 PM »
I just said I was using a capture card right here in this thread: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,378910.msg5047375.html#msg5047375  Maybe you should catch up before responding with, "I know better than to think for even one second that it works."

Well, my apologies for going off, then. However, I had read that post before you edited it. Assuming otherwise is on you.

I tried this just as you outlined, and OBS drops frames, introduces tearing into the video, and has other issues. That is exactly why I started sinking money into other methods. Further, your disingenuous attitude concerning money is ridiculous, yet noted. You can go to any good pawn shop or Salvation Army and find used systems that can do this today. I have seen computers are our local thrift store for just $50 that could be dressed for the ball without spending too much money. The Elgato is just $200 beyond that.

And again, OBS cannot do it all. That's just wrong.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 01:54:14 PM »
Post your OBS log file, you probably set it up wrong.  Use Pastebin to avoid cluttering up the thread.  One thing that OBS Classic can't do is capture SLI, try OBS Studio for that, I believe it has multi-GPU compatibility now, but never used it myself as I don't run SLI.
Boildown

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 02:10:30 PM »
I've gone a different route now, so OBS is no longer installed. That was more than a year ago anyway.

BTW, with the Adobe Creative Cloud you can use Premiere Pro for just $20/mo., which is really affordable. I bought the CS6 Master Creation Suite years ago, but I am also a CC subscriber and have all of the Adobe products for just $50/mo. If anyone gets serious about content creation that's the way to go. I'm already knee deep in an upcoming animation series for YouTube. A lot more time and effort than I ever thought of goes into these things.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 12:16:12 PM »
Boilerdown, a while ago I remember you saying somewhere after heavily critiquing my AcesHigh films that you were going to make some of your own, where are they posted, I'd like to see them.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 08:43:01 AM »
Boilerdown, a while ago I remember you saying somewhere after heavily critiquing my AcesHigh films that you were going to make some of your own, where are they posted, I'd like to see them.

I never did it.  The past few years I've mainly been playing Planetside 2, you can see some of those videos on my Twitch and YouTube.  The AH graphical revamp has renewed my interest however, and I've never quit the forums.  Also, I pay my sub every month lest this game perish from this earth, that would be just as tragic as the loss of any historic aircraft imo.
Boildown

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 07:13:59 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 06:13:58 AM by Skuzzy »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 08:25:46 PM »
Now there is a surprise.

Doesn't take much to sense sarcasm here.  Do you think my critiques of your videos were invalid somehow?
Boildown

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 08:49:37 PM »
@Dolby: Don't get banned, man.

@BoilerDown: No, you know very well that was a challenge.  :D

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 09:09:40 PM »
you know very well that was a challenge.  :D

:aok I'm glad someone around here gets it.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho