Author Topic: A weight challenge  (Read 22635 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: A weight challenge
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2016, 01:00:36 PM »
I believe that part is a mostly misinformation (like the falsehood that saturated fats cause high cholesterol, which is true for rabbits but not for humans).  I haven't noticed smelly breath from any of the people I know who are on low-carb diets.  I have noticed it for smokers, and some vegetarians who tend to eat more garlic, onions, etc.  Then there is the other smelliness created by a diet that includes a lot of legumes.  :uhoh

If your breath does not smell of acetone you're not in ketosis, not very deep in ketosis anyway. Anyone who's burning fat regardless of diet may get a breath that smells of acetone because the metabolic process of getting energy out of fat includes the breakdown of acetoacetic acid into acetone and carbon dioxide which is exhaled through the lungs. However, if it's not a problem then it's not a problem.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2016, 01:37:27 PM »
Didn't need to Floob. I know people who are on the 5-2 fasting diet. Works well for them.
It's all about bringing your insuling-like growth hormone 1 down to normal levels people!
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2016, 01:39:20 PM »
If your breath does not smell of acetone ...

Or it's that the smell of acetone is negligible and unnoticeable, completely overpowered by whether or not you drink coffee, what spices were on the food you ate today, what your particular microbiome is, etc.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2016, 01:52:14 PM »
Sure, like I said if it's not a problem then it's not a problem.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2016, 03:03:39 PM »
As a side note, there was an article in today's paper about people eating too much protein in belief it would make them more muscular. Truth is, excess protein turns into fat no matter how much you work out. Or, as the old wisdom says, even oat porridge is poisonous if you eat it by the bucket.

Eat healthy, eat often enough, eat sensible portions, consume your calories. Feel yourself, know when you're hungry, know when you're thirsty. Learn to listen to what your body really wants to say.

Have fun even with your diet, stress is bad for your digestion!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2016, 03:15:58 PM »
I had duck in mushroom yesterday
I had sweet and sour king prawn today

Both with fried rice

And Pepsi
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2016, 04:47:12 PM »

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2016, 05:24:18 PM »
As a side note, there was an article in today's paper about people eating too much protein in belief it would make them more muscular. Truth is, excess protein turns into fat no matter how much you work out. Or, as the old wisdom says, even oat porridge is poisonous if you eat it by the bucket.

Eat healthy, eat often enough, eat sensible portions, consume your calories. Feel yourself, know when you're hungry, know when you're thirsty. Learn to listen to what your body really wants to say.

Have fun even with your diet, stress is bad for your digestion!
The problem is because people have been conditioned to eat two or even three meals a day, we've developed a psychosomatic hunger response if we haven't eaten in 12 hours. Fat, especially your own body fat is extremely nutritious. If you're fat enough you can survive more than a year without food, people have done it.  I know that's kind of discouraging if you're trying to lose weight. People have been trained to believe that fatty foods like say bacon are less nutritious than rice cakes, when the truth is the opposite. What's going to keep you alive longer on a desert island? A bag of salted pork or a bag of rice cakes? Going without food for a couple days without eating becomes easier once your brain has become retrained. And something important happens to your body after going 24 hours without food. Without getting too technical it switches from growth mode to repair mode and starts consuming body fat.

It's not what you eat, or how much you eat, or how much exercise you get, it's how often you eat.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 05:28:45 PM by FLOOB »
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2016, 10:01:21 PM »
floob that is bs that  a person can go for a year without eating. you dont eat you dont just lose fat, you also lose muscle. 

a bag of salted pork or bag of rice cakes is irrelevant.  what you need to know is how you going to supplement it.  without water you will die before you starve.

and this is the most ridiculous statement i ever heard.

"It's not what you eat, or how much you eat, or how much exercise you get, it's how often you eat."

it actually contradicts itself. you need a balance between your intake and your outtake.  if you eat less calories than you burn  you will lose weight.

btw I eat once a day.  I dont eat snakes or candy or ice cream or any sugary stuff.  I am still at 210 on a 5'7 frame.  that is overweight.  cant seem to lose even though i exerciser regularly.  the problem is my calorie intake is equal.  but I am getting there.  i used to weight 265.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2016, 11:14:53 PM »
cant seem to lose even though i exerciser regularly.  the problem is my calorie intake is equal.  but I am getting there.  i used to weight 265.

semp

Semp, try eating a diet that is low in carbs for a while.  Eat as much meat, cheese, butter, and non-starchy vegetables as you are hungry for.  Don't eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, beans, fruits, fruit juice, or sugar.  Make sure you eat enough salt and drink enough on this diet at the start (need more water and salt on this diet).

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2016, 11:27:20 PM »
I eat a hamburger or a burrito and a diet coke every day.

semp

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2016, 11:40:06 PM »
I eat a hamburger or a burrito and a diet coke every day.

semp

Burritos and hamburgers aren't low carb.  Even if the burrito doesn't have rice or beans in it, it has a lot of tortilla; and a hamburger has the bun.  Also, sauces can have sugar in them -- depends.  Ketchup isn't low carb as it has a lot of sugar.  Sauce on a burrito might have a lot of sugar in it.  You'd have to look at a nutrition label and see how many grams of carbs in total it has in it.  At the beginning of a low-carb diet, you eat *very* low carbs, like a slice of bread worth per day only.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2016, 11:50:44 PM »
no ketchup no fries.  no cheese and no hot sauce.  i prefer jalapenos.  raw.

semp

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2016, 12:04:10 AM »
no ketchup no fries.  no cheese and no hot sauce.  i prefer jalapenos.  raw.

semp

That's good, but with the tortilla and bun, they aren't low carb.  Cheese is fine.  Jalapenos are fine.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2016, 01:06:50 AM »
I am working class so it's better I eat crap so I don't last.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario