Author Topic: GTX750 Ti working great for me  (Read 509 times)

Offline FishBait

• Copper Member
GTX750 Ti working great for me
« on: April 20, 2016, 01:41:57 PM »
So, thanks to Hajo, I've had the chance to try out a 2GB GTX750 Ti in AHIII, and though I've used it only a couple rounds today, it seems to be working quite well with my system. I'm routinely getting 59-60 fps in flight with default settings. In combat close to ground level this dropped to a low of 45 fps, but I brought that back up to 55-60 by setting the environment slider to zero (Could have left it, frankly... 45 was very temporary and still playable, but I want as many fps as possible rather than eye-candy).

Just like Skuzzy said, I can confirm that even with all the settings turned down, it still looks better than AHII, though even with this middle-of-the-road card you don't have to drop everything to zero to play.

Just for reference, I'm running a quad-core I7-4790 (3.6 Ghz), 24 gb ram, and Windows 10. Display is at 1920 x 1080 resolution.

So if anyone else is on a budget, the 750 might be worth looking at. Min recommended power supply is only 300W, which means you there's a good chance you just drop in the card & go. I have a 460W psu stock, and it works great.
-== Hell Hounds ==- Official Pooper Scooper

I've got 99 problems, but a HO aint one.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: GTX750 Ti working great for me
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 02:24:19 PM »
I figured this would be the case, I have an old home theater PC with an older i7 920 in it, and I can play the beta with some settings turned down/off at around the same FPS as you're getting. 

Such older PCs that don't have power supplies with the plugs necessary for newer PCI-E GPU can still accept a 750ti, and there are some recent deals where these cards are available for the low 100$ range. 

So, anyone saying they are priced out of AH3 - IMO the solution is find a cheap used 5 year old PC like my HP HTPC with an i7 820 or 960/etc, and pop in a 750ti card.  Total cost should be a few hundred bucks.  Hello AH3 at some pretty respectable FPS rates with the detail settings tuned for it.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 03:19:19 PM »
My laptop have a 750 card and it can handle the Beta with the worst Eye-candy turned off so I see no reason for people to be worried. Unless having a computer that struggles with AH2...

Btw just tested my new system, w a gtx 970. Went full Eye candy and holy S'''t... :eek: That was just awesome.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 08:16:17 PM »
I have the same card. I can run ah2 maxed out, and the frame rates are OK in 3.

To me, the beta doesn't look good, and ah2 looks MUCH better. I've tried many combinations of settings.

The gauges are blurry, and that's if I can actually see them in the black hole cockpits. I have to crank the gamma to see them, but that makes everything else too bright.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 09:20:57 PM »
Myself and 2 other squaddies run the non-ti version and it does just fine. Only things I have off are shadows and the environment slider to none, and I stay around 50-60 depending on clouds, fires, smoke, ect.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 12:15:33 AM »
I think I may pop a couple 750ti into my HTPCs, I have a couple, one in our home theater room and another in my office space TV - no need to replace the PSU and they'll perform a lot better than the 5770s.  Then I can show AH3 off on our projection and LCD widescreens from time to time, or just jump into the arena while doing other work on PCs and watch the action/etc on the big screen with some decent FPS.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 02:25:04 AM »
Such older PCs that don't have power supplies with the plugs necessary for newer PCI-E GPU can still accept a 750ti, and there are some recent deals where these cards are available for the low 100$ range. 

So, anyone saying they are priced out of AH3 - IMO the solution is find a cheap used 5 year old PC like my HP HTPC with an i7 820 or 960/etc, and pop in a 750ti card.  Total cost should be a few hundred bucks.  Hello AH3 at some pretty respectable FPS rates with the detail settings tuned for it.

That, sir, is something everyone should read and understand.

As for the "old PC" I'd go even further down, even a socket 775 based Core2Duo E8400 @ 3 GHz is sufficient (that's what HiTech uses). Recently I got a bunch of those for the unbeatable price of free, of course without any playing level video card. Refurbishing an abandoned office computer might actually be worth the price!

My computer has an E8500 overclocked to 3.8 GHz paired with a Radeon HD 6970 and I get very playable frame rates in AH3. In PassMark's chart the GTX 750 Ti ranks a little higher than my card, and the GTX 660 HiTech uses ranks the same amount higher than that. If the 660 is set to 100%, the 750 Ti would be 90% and the HD 6970 85%. The basic 750 would fall to 80%.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 06:33:23 AM »
I have the same card. I can run ah2 maxed out, and the frame rates are OK in 3.

To me, the beta doesn't look good, and ah2 looks MUCH better. I've tried many combinations of settings.

The gauges are blurry, and that's if I can actually see them in the black hole cockpits. I have to crank the gamma to see them, but that makes everything else too bright.

If you want it to look more like AH2, then check the following graphics options.

Disable Post Lighting
Disable Shadows
Disable Bump Mapping
Disable Reflections

If you want the AH2 field of view, then go into the "Video Settings" and set the custom field of view to 106.

Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline HamrDown

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 11:44:27 AM »
If you want it to look more like AH2, then check the following graphics options.

Disable Post Lighting
Disable Shadows
Disable Bump Mapping
Disable Reflections

If you want the AH2 field of view, then go into the "Video Settings" and set the custom field of view to 106.

(Image removed from quote.)

With the settings mentioned above disabled, the game still looks much better than AH2. I am thankful to be able to run settings  on, except I chose to turn off anti-aliasing and shadows.

The game looks very nice!

<S>
HamrDown

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 02:20:51 PM »
Thanks HT, I'll try that
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 12:00:32 AM »
So, thanks to Hajo, I've had the chance to try out a 2GB GTX750 Ti in AHIII, and though I've used it only a couple rounds today, it seems to be working quite well with my system. I'm routinely getting 59-60 fps in flight with default settings. In combat close to ground level this dropped to a low of 45 fps, but I brought that back up to 55-60 by setting the environment slider to zero

Yay for Hajo!  :aok

I have the same card, and the same experience.  750 Ti works just fine for me, and it doesn't seem to me that AH3 takes much more resources than AH2.