Author Topic: Cockpit instruments  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Cockpit instruments
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 12:50:04 PM »
I do not have any problem making out those trim positions. I don't know what the difference could be?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 01:48:01 PM »
I'll post some screenshots when I get home from work today. 

I can see the aileron/rudder trim indicators fine, it's just the elevator trim needle that is hard for me to see as the color blends in.  It could be that it's because my FOV is 106, will check when I get home.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 02:23:48 PM »
It looks like the elevator indicator has a smaller area of bright red compared to the other two.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 03:22:34 PM »
Using keys only to angle down at the trim indicators in the 38, time of day, the elevator horizontal red indicator can barely to not at all be seen. Using TR, it depends on the time of day and if you use zoom when you look down.

Depending on the importance to a majority in the game, this might be a candidate for a HUD movable indicator. So many things now are tied to the sun to light up their brilliance, and the vertical red lines for rudder and ailerons appear by their orientation to have a stronger response.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 06:49:39 PM »
I'm wondering if AH3 requires a supplemental high-res texture pack like AH2 does. What I'm hearing sounds like trying to run AH2 without high-res textures.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 09:36:42 PM »
Here are two screenshots that show what I am talking about.  You can see in both screenshots the needles for the aileron and rudder trim are clearly visible but the elevator trim needle is not.  FOV is 106.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 10:03:30 PM »
Are you using SweetFX? I had to drop gamma down by 0.3 to get anything like that contrast level.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 10:09:06 PM »
Here are two screenshots that show what I am talking about.  You can see in both screenshots the needles for the aileron and rudder trim are clearly visible but the elevator trim needle is not.  FOV is 106.

If I set up the same shot with only the elevator trim indicator in shadow it still looks the same as the pic I posted where it's visible but not as bright as the other two. I can see yours at the top of the gauge but it's much dimmer than mine. Similar FOV but my resolution is higher.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 10:38:05 PM »
Maximum individual file size of 30000KB and it won't take 3.79MB?

So I resized it down from 5760x3240 matching conditions the best I could and setting gamma to 0.7 even!

Can't explain the difference.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 12:59:00 AM »
Are you using SweetFX? I had to drop gamma down by 0.3 to get anything like that contrast level.

nope.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 02:56:28 AM »
These are my graphic settings in game.  I slightly raised the gamma to see if that would make the needle easier to see, normally it's at the default 1.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 09:35:59 AM »
Just a thought: There's been lots of talk about adjusting the in-game gamma. I know calibrating a monitor isn't possible for most of us, but a basic adjusting is. How many have ever touched the adjustment buttons of his monitor, preferably using a test image of some sort?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 11:13:50 AM »
Bizman,

Very early on in the alpha testing I had a similar experience, and you are correct, I was able to able to achieve good results from monitor settings.  I wonder what the effect of DX11 will be on this, if any.  Or will it make additional "Sweetfx" / monitor type controls "in game" for AH3 more feasible?  :pray

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 11:19:13 AM »
Ack Ack,

The canopy bar shadow darkens out the vertical red line for the pitch trim in your pictures.

My gamma is at 1.4, set at 12:00 to look like real world 12:00. At that point there is just enough ambient light around the shadow to barely see the pitch trim red highlight. The horizontal red trim indicators respond brighter to the ambient light. The vertical pitch red trim looks very narrow or nonexistent from some angles and doesn't respond very well to the ambient lighting.

Is this an issue with the additional files used to define light response for 3D objects related to that red indicator?

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 02:55:44 PM »
I am fortunate enough to have a slider for my manual elevator trim.  My fingers tell me the position of the trim.  Before I had the slider, the instrument panel indicator was essential.  Without the slider I would probably abandon manual trim in BETA.