Author Topic: Cockpit instruments  (Read 1774 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Cockpit instruments
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 03:09:07 PM »
If you're trimming for your speed you can just look at a reference point over the nose or tail.

I only look at the trim indicators to preset trim for takeoff and dive bombing.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 03:09:39 PM »
Whish list a HUD box for the trim indicators that can be moved around the cockpit.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 12:56:50 PM »
Please don't mention the HUD in AH3.  It is the cruelest low-blow to a game based rooted in a simulation.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 01:19:24 PM »
Mehhh, you will get over it in about a decade. I was the same way back 2002.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 01:35:03 PM »
Randy1,

I know that you may feel nontraditional HUD is arcade fringe, but it may also end up being another person's reason for staying.  I have to err on the side of folks having a good impression of flight control management as well as what it might have been to be in WW2 aircraft. Our 2D monitors are not capable of satisfying the instantaneous change in focus like the human brain, eyes, ears, muscles and nervous system, so these types of additions do more good than they distract from authenticity.

Also, as with the current HUD, there is an option to turn it off.  So, if you want more of a "pure" experience, it will be available.  It is like flying in the DA and not using external mode.  Just my two cents.....

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 02:13:38 PM »
Also, as with the current HUD, there is an option to turn it off.  So, if you want more of a "pure" experience, it will be available.  It is like flying in the DA and not using external mode.  Just my two cents.....

And much like flying in the DA and not using external mode, it means you're either with or without an advantage during the fight.

One immediate advantage I noticed was the ability to do a much more refined hammerhead at the top of a rope while keeping my eyes on my opponent.

It's not going to turn average players into gods, but it's going to give the people that use it an edge against people they're about even with who don't use it.

Just MHO.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2016, 04:27:23 PM »
But unlike external views, a real pilot "would" be able to take a glance at the instruments, and in most instances without moving his head  :uhoh but would not be able to dangle outside of the plane and maintain control.  :airplane:  :joystick:

Your point about advantage going to the "user" is valid, but in terms of trim information in HUD, it is first of all moot, if HiTech agrees or simply makes a decision for other reasons not to add this HUD information.  I will just make the argument that any advantage here will be due to skill level (the ability for a person to manage multiple sources of input).  This is unlike the advantages of having more / better equipment (ie... monitors, GPU, TrackIR, VR, rudder pedals, joystick ~ gaming mouse....)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2016, 06:19:12 PM »
May be irrelevant, but the only thing I could see in ACK-ACKS screen shot, was a shadow across the trim panel? The shadows and reflections are pretty detailed. I like it! I tried to check from every angle I could and never lost the indicators showing up.? I DO use sweetfx though, pretty much had too. To get the look I was wanting. Liked the standard game set up, but it really popped with sweetfx!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2016, 06:32:15 PM »
Wow checked my screenshots here. BIG difference in what I see in game and what showed up in screenshot. BIG diffrence :headscratch:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain