Author Topic: Sound Blaster Z in PCIe x8 Slot?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Sound Blaster Z in PCIe x8 Slot?
« on: May 05, 2016, 04:44:27 PM »
Need some help from the gurus.

I have a Sound Blaster Z installed in the only available PCIe x1 slot on my motherboard (Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3).  Although there are 3 x1 slots one is covered by the video card and one of the mounting bolts for the motherboard interferes with seating the SBz in the remaining x1 slot (Photo attached) The SB manual specifies use of a x1 or x4 slot. The motherboard has no x4 slots.

The SBz seems to work well but it's almost right against the HD 6950 video card. I am concerned that heat from the video card could be a problem. Also I just came across a note on the Creative website that warns against installing the SBz immediately adjacent to the video card due to risk if interference.

So I would like to relocate the SBz but there are only two possible options:
1) I have an available PCIe x8 slot but per the Gigabyte manual it shares bandwidth with the PCIe x16 slot that the video card is in and if the x8 slot is populated the x16 slot will operate at up to 8x mode.
2) Use the other x1 slot which will require either removing the mounting bolt for the motherboard or cutting a little metal from the SBz card.

Per the Gigabyte manual the x16 and x8 slots share a single bus off the CPU. The x1 slots share a bus off the Z68 chip.

So can I put the SBz in the x8 slot?  I have done an internet search but haven't found a clear answer. I suspect the video card needs x16 and will not work if the x16 slot is reduced to x8 mode? So I suspect the answer is no for that reason alone.

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Re: Sound Blaster Z in PCIe x8 Slot?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 04:57:35 PM »
Actually, looking closer at the picture and the computer the SBz will probably be just as close to the video card even if I do something to get it into the other x1 slot. It's a question of whether the top or bottom of the SBz is 1/8" from the video card.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 05:00:49 PM »
First off, I have two systems with four video cards in them just as tight without an airflow problem. I operate at positive pressure, so air is always flowing out of the case.

Second, your video card is designed to work just fine at x8 without a loss of power (graphics power). So if you must use that slot, then you are safe to do so. In fact, you may actually see an increase of 1-2 fps by doing so.

So, your choice as to which way to go.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 05:34:03 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. I also have a positive pressure case (Raven RV02-). With three 180mm intake fans at the bottom and one 120mmexhaust fan at the top I've got plenty of air flow but hardly the heat load you're dealing with.  So I think I'll just leave it alone.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 05:42:48 PM »
You're fine like you are. You should have a lot of fun with it just like it is.

Just, when I start posting videos from other genres? Just remember AH3 is your home.  :aok
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.