Author Topic: Skin Viewer - Bring Back The Mouse Controls PLEASE  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Skin Viewer - Bring Back The Mouse Controls PLEASE
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 03:19:56 PM »
Making fun of someone who just go chewed out or poking a bear , is not the wisest move.

HiTech

I have found that when someone is poking a bear it is more profitable to get out a video camera.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 08:21:34 PM »
Or leave the area.  :D
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2016, 09:29:58 AM »
I'm curious why the change was made, as I find the keyboard controls to be much less intuitive, especially as mouse controls are pretty standard for most other model viewer-type utilities.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 01:23:07 PM »
Saxman, I can't answer for HiTech, but this has been a long standing discussion.  The one quick answer that I can "repeat" is the controls are now "standard" for all view modes.  What I have personally found is the addition of the mouse wheel speed control, I have excellent control.  It might just be something new to get used to and most evident when rotating axis.

I suggest we move along and do our best to get used to it, and pass along any new tricks that we find:  like using the mouse wheel to speed up movement to zip to different angles and slow down movement to fine tune adjustments.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 08:38:07 AM »
I'm curious why the change was made, as I find the keyboard controls to be much less intuitive, especially as mouse controls are pretty standard for most other model viewer-type utilities.

Because we had 3 different view systems for 3 different editors, plus the graphics tester. We standardize it to one central system for all editors.

Once you are accustomed to the new system , it becomes very easy to get any view you wish.

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 08:56:15 AM »
I've probably used the new skin editor more than anyone recently and to start with I hated it. Moving my viewpoint, something I used to do without thinking before, now required my concentration every time. Over time I have got used to it and its becoming more natural to use the keys. I'd class the view system as tolerable to me now.

One thing that has helped is that HT added "save/load viewpoint" buttons, so once you've found a good viewpoint you can immediately go back to it next time you start the program.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 01:01:29 PM »
Greebo,

I didn't know all of this. After using the terrain editor through all the terrain conversations you, Easycor and I have had, along with all those photo ops I did with my terrain. The controls are second nature and I don't think about it. Seems as usual for every time Hitech has changed something of this nature, a small group would rather fight with him than adapt to get on with doing what they enjoy.

I hope some day he changes that the keys and mouse are active at the same time in the TE and the SV while I'm trying to look at an object close up in the SV. I always make sure I'm in any other mode but terrain painting or elevation when I pull up the skin viewer. I never want to find out just how much carries through with those active keys and mouse. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 01:14:06 PM »
The thing is I've never used the keys to navigate in the TE so experience with that didn't help me when converting to the new skin viewer. In the TE I use the mouse to move about the map window and also to rotate my viewpoint in the editing window. I'm about half way to being comfortable with the new viewer now, but I still find myself hitting the wrong key from time to time.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 01:38:28 PM »
My biggest problem was trying to use those keys with GIMP after a couple of days with the AH editors. They select different tools like the airbrush, which is no end of frustration until you figure out how to disable all the keyboard shortcuts. I get a similar problem when I turn around and move to Excel.

Now if I can just keep from hitting the Windoz key instead of the Z key.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001