Author Topic: Anyone own AMD stock?  (Read 2192 times)

Online Gman

• Gold Member
Anyone own AMD stock?
« on: April 22, 2016, 07:55:32 PM »
It jumped 52 percent today.  I think the release of a lot of info about their new Polaris capability, and new CPUs certainly helped, along with a glowing quarterly report.  I also wonder if Intel's recent announcement (2 days ago a bunch of articles came out, not much different than the same news back in January) that they aren't going to be focusing on PC CPUs and such as much in the future has anything to do with it.  If Intel does slow down on the $ going into R and D on desktop CPU, us PC gamers in the future MAY be running AMD if there isn't another option.

Of course, I heard this same story from Intel back in 2012, and here 4 years later they are pumping out new CPU sockets and types faster than ever, with Skylake, Broadwell E, and a bunch of others all coming out in the last number of months, and KabyLake, CannonLake, Apollo lake, xyz1234 lake, all being named and in design already...not sure I put a lot of stock in the "we're done with desktops" deal, but they did say something that could easily mean that.

Anyhow, good for AMD, nice to have some competition for nVidia..and Intel out there this year.  Might have to build an all AMD box again.  The Freesync monitors are sure cheaper than the exact equivalent Gsync ones, by 30 percent or more in the case of Asus 27" lcds.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:58:11 PM by Gman »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Anyone own AMD stock?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 08:07:15 PM »
Yeah, when I see jumps like that I don't think good thoughts.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 08:37:33 PM »
When I see a jump like that?   I merely wait for the bottom to drop out from underneath it.   That much of a jump is rarely a good thing.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Online Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 02:01:30 AM »
It is  a pretty low priced stock though, it's no Microsoft or anything like that, we're talking going from a couple bucks to three or something along those lines IIRC. 

Either way, new AMD tech IS coming, and from all the reports (rumors) it looks to be impressive, and not just GPU, but with their new CPU and MB tech.  I think it does only good things for the consumer (us), having competition, nVidia and Intel have ruled the roost, big time, for the last 3 years or so, arguably longer.  IMO since the 7970, 7850, and so on series, AMD has not been competitive at all, until this last year with the new cards they've come out with, so there was quite a while where they were far behind, and now JUST caught up, but not really surpassed nVidia in any significant manner.  Hopefully that'll change this year, and we'll see them start playing leap frog again.  Same with AMD CPUs and platforms, be nice to see a new 8 or 10 core processor and 16gb GPU from AMD and have that combo be a serious competitor.  Can't hurt, even though due to my Gsync investments in LCDs I can't see me going "all" AMD anytime soon.  1 system, maybe.

Laptop GPUs are a big thing AMD has been missing out on as well, for a while they had just as many "gaming" laptops out there as nVidia, but it's been a desert for them the last few years.  Maybe they'll focus a bit on this area too.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 12:32:15 AM »
From the news, I thought, "Hmm, might be an interesting short!"  Then I looked at the long-term chart.  Yikes.  Talk about some price volatility.  It's definitely not a short candidate for me.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 02:22:11 AM »
From the news, I thought, "Hmm, might be an interesting short!"  Then I looked at the long-term chart.  Yikes.  Talk about some price volatility.  It's definitely not a short candidate for me.

Would have been a nice short at $40.  After a four year run as a penny stock it's hard to believe there's still as many analysts tracking it as there are.  It should already be in the "who cares" category and it will be difficult for them to ever build stock value again.  Major firms like the one I work for won't even allow us to recommend anything under $5/share so the only way they ever recover is through unsolicited trading.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 11:06:59 AM »
I'm just gonna stick with my tried and true ' buy high, sell low' plan
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 11:22:01 AM »

thought it applied to girls, buy low, sell high.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »
Hmmm, I have a small amount in my tech portfolio,but it's well balanced and I've had it since around 98..... Pretty sure AMD could become worthless and I'd still be far ahead because it makes up such a small portion.

But thx for the heads up,I'll have to take a look and see if it a good time to make a change or not.....  I prefer to buy low and hold....... :devil

:salute

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 09:03:03 PM »
Intel laid off 12000 employees.
Desktop PC sales have tanked.
AMD could be benefiting from stock surfing.

I still do not think AMD beats INTEL in a overall shootout either but...................
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 03:01:07 PM »
Intel laid off 12000 employees.
Desktop PC sales have tanked.
AMD could be benefiting from stock surfing.

I still do not think AMD beats INTEL in a overall shootout either but...................

Yeah, Intel as I read that article I believe has time on it's side as it has 14nm desktop parts already coming out starting w\ Broadwell-E followed up shortly by KabyLake, CannonLake, etc that AMD will have to compete against w\ Zen so they look to me to be tightening up to protect their main core business as stated in the article: the server side which includes cloud services.........and also to cut some perceived bloat in their business model as well to better position themselves for future opportunities.

Intel can afford to give up a little market share (not all of it) on the desktop side due to overall PC market decline and it looks to me like they're willing to let that happen and still be a leader but they cannot afford to allow AMD to eat into the server side, especially the cloud services side, w\ Zen CPU's and SoC's.

If memory serves me right I think Intel has already taped out 10nm node process for upcoming CPU development so they can afford to back down a little and maintain their market position from my perspective, which is good business IMHO.

Dropping from 80% to 60% market share isn't a bad move in a declining market when the competition would be moving up from 18% to 38%.....they'll still command almost twice the market share and own ALL the mind share market.....which is FAR more important right now IMHO.

Anyway, gonna be interesting in 2017.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 06:54:57 PM »

AHAHAH!!!  You and me both brother.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann