Author Topic: Unplayable right now, full second pauses every minute or so  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: Unplayable right now, full second pauses every minute or so
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 01:48:20 AM »
Heh, I been reading about the reset function, in order for it to work, I have to let it mow all my apps - you can leave your files, only files, but not apps, which means losing a very large steam folder and a bunch of other stuff I just finished getting all set and installed.  May as well do a reformat, as reset doesn't keep all that much.

Another screen shot from the beta, same thing, within less than a minute, 1.5 or 2 second pause, then repeats, as on the netgraph.

I'm hoping your right and it's just something we're missing.  Skuzzy throughout the years has brought up "what is the netgraph doing" with similar pausing issues I've found through search, but no solutions are posted that I've found yet.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:50:25 AM by Gman »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 01:52:35 AM »
Gman! You should have all that stuff on a second drive anyway! Then you just reinstall the Steam application and verify your game cache and you have all your games there already. I also have all of my Windows libraries (My Documents, pictures, music, videos, and even desktop) on a separate HDD from the boot drive. Then it's just a matter of moving the new ones. It makes backups easier too.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 02:16:09 AM »
It is on drive 2 , I'll have to disconnect it I guess as win10 with restart listed all apps games etc on drive 2 as well up for removal.  Like I said, just easier to do a full re install if it comes to it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 06:02:37 AM »
Any anti-xxxx software running?  That would impact the game, online or offline.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 10:50:52 AM »
No, no av installed on this machine running regularly, and there never has been, not once.  I did some scans with malwarebytes and a couple web basee AV scanners, they turned up nothing. 

It happens without exception at the same time, offline or online, and keeps repeating every minute or two.

Skuzzy, I went into the recent install lists, and deleted 3 windows recent installs, and something MOzilla installed, some "maintenance" program.  Issue is gone.  So it was either something in the Win10 updates, or the Mozilla maintanence thing.  This problem as I said would happen with exacting regularity and keep repeating, and was related to the network somehow as when I shut down my net the problem went away (with both games offline).  Any ideas on what I should do, just leave it now, or try and reinstall the 4 things I deleted and track down which is causing this.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:59:26 AM by Gman »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 11:08:33 AM »
One thing that came into my mind is the Windows 10 update p2p function trying to find something to do every once in a while.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 11:47:12 AM »
Could very well been it.  It's gone now, heh.  Adios last 3 win10 updates, and I don't care what end result of that ends up being, I'm going back to win7 on this machine as soon as the mrs finds where she put the disc.  It's funny, I was pretty neutral on Win10, it did solve a trackIR issue I was having, but having read so many odd problems that are "moving targets" as Skuzzy described, I figured it was just happening to everyone else.  No longer.  It was obviously something eating resources to the point of pausing the game at a regular interval, through the network somehow, that much is clear to me, but not much else.

I did have that p2p update turned off in Win10, in updates where you can select to opt out of that p2p update eat your bandwidth but not MS's scheme, but it could be it looking for something, for certain, and there is nO way for avg joe to tell, much less do anything about that.  All I know is removing the last updates since I last played and the games were fine, fixed the issue completely. 

I've found PCs can be a lot like ships, and develop their own personalities, and this my oldest box has certainly got its own.  Natural Point's tech guy spent FIVE hours trying to get TrackIR to work, and was beyond explaining why it wasn't, literally stumped - one day it just decided that when launching TIR it would slowly freeze my system.  No amount of registry clearing/edits, reinstalls, whatever he tried would fix it, and he said it was a case study for them as they'd never ran into such a thing.  What was on win7, he suggested trying win10, and that fixed TrackIR.  Strange, yes, I know, but that's what happened.  As Skuzzy has said in other cases, that didn't fix the underlying problem, which, IMO, is that this box is just...finicky.  Look at the DxDiag, it's standard fair, x79, Corsair ram, 3820 cpu, 980 sli (I'm just using 1 in it right now as I thought maybe SLI could have been a cause of this).  Very standard system.  So, this box reacting oddly to a win10 update doesn't shock me, and it being the "only" system in the game running win10 to do so.  The second Broadwell E and/or Pascal is out, this x79 hits the parts bin anyway.  Win10 is going with it.

Thanks for all the help too Chalenge in the middle of the night, Skuzzy and Biz too. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:54:02 AM by Gman »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 01:00:47 PM »
You don't have to wait for the mrs to find the Windows 7 CD. All you need is your valid license code, you can download the installation media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 using the key.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 01:23:53 PM »
This kind of problem has plagued Windows 10 since August of 2015.  Seems to come and go.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com