Author Topic: GTX 970  (Read 1268 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
GTX 970
« on: May 18, 2016, 04:40:32 PM »
355.98 current vid driver

Peeps who are using the 970, what driver you using?

I learned awhile ago that the latest driver is not necessarily the best for an earlier model card. Obviously driver updates are for late model hardware, just wondering if Nvidia's latest driver offering would do me any good. Does getting a driver for "w10" do me any good.........Specifically for AH purposes.
 :salute
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: GTX 970
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 05:32:45 PM »
I think the latest driver is usually the best bet. Just make sure when you go to search for a driver that you focus on your card and OS as an option in the search. What messes up the drivers is installing over a previous version. You might be able to get away with that once, or twice, but I wouldn't bet on it. Just use the display driver uninstaller and you're back in business without an issue.

I tried to install a driver over my last update. When I noticed Aces High was getting fewer fps I pulled out DDU and updated after a good cleaning. I picked up 10 fps, which is unusual but also an example of what can happen if you just install over older versions.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 06:09:09 PM »
last nvidia drivers update asked me if I wanted to clean out the old drivers.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 06:48:16 PM »
I always clean install, leave out 3D stuff. Its just many drivers are also tailored for specific reasons. ie: new titles etc....

I just play AH so I wonder if I need the hassle of the update. It affects hdmi sound and msisupport for moi. why change if no benefit.
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 10:50:50 PM »
think the new drivers are geared towards the new games.  or have update for new games.  read the notes and if  you think it applies to you then update.  keep a copy of your last drivers just in case.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 11:53:55 PM »
Mostly bug fixes and new game profiles, which are not always geared toward SLI. The "game ready" updates are not always the latest word on any particular game, because the bug fixes can be a bigger item than any single game profile. I usually tell people to get the update from their manufacturer, because the lag involved from a GeForce release to a EVGA release (just as an example) may reveal any issues that Nvidia might have missed. The problem then became that some manufacturers either introduced a bug, or just mirrored the Nvidia drivers. So, you don't always gain anything doing that.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 01:31:29 AM »
--- why change if no benefit.

Exactly. As Semp said, read the notes to see if the update applies to you. AH doesn't benefit from updates tailored for Quantum Break etc. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

For new cards like the 970 the latest drivers often are the best, but when new models arrive reading the notes becomes more important to see which improvements really apply to your card.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni