Author Topic: the lengths some people go...  (Read 17261 times)

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
Re: the lengths some people go...
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2016, 11:41:38 PM »
'.., now it is the norm to run and hide.'

I dont see that happening much, I get in a lot of fights and have a great time.
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2016, 12:20:37 AM »
'.., now it is the norm to run and hide.'

I dont see that happening much, I get in a lot of fights and have a great time.

I dont see that either.  then again, I too hard for some people to look for a red darbar.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2016, 12:23:31 AM »

ya but from what Ive read you use to drink a lot too so I'll trust my memory a bit over yours  :neener:

actually I only started drinking 4 years ago. and for what I have read, you have been whining since I got here 8 or 9 years ago.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2016, 06:40:19 AM »
HOers, vulchers, pickers, runners and so on but it was a much smaller percentage of the players doing that. Back then it was the norm to fight, now it is the norm to run and hide.
Like the 47 Ronin?
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2016, 06:56:03 AM »
That chip on your squads shoulder is either growing or pulsating  :eek:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2016, 07:25:32 AM »
I dont see that either.  then again, I too hard for some people to look for a red darbar.
I think each person's experience is different depending on the part of the day they play.  US prime time has a very different dynamic than other hours. I am an east coast guy, and normally have no issue with finding a fight.  I usually have no issue when I see a high Pee-51 because I know he won't come down to fight.  He may take a swipe at me, then extend a sector to get his alt back, but for the most part they are a mere annoyance. 

My personal favorite tactic is to up a fast bird, 47-M, then climb to 18-20K.  When I arrive at a base, all the Pee-51's and Run-90's take one look at my co-alt bird and dive to the deck.  Since I know it will be 15 minutes before they return, I am then free to drop alt and see what needs kill'n.  Sure, 10% of the time, they will actually try to fight, 5% of that time, it's actually a decent one, but almost always they turn tail and dive out 1v1 once they have lost their advantage. 

While I am not saying they should play "my way", it is after all a combat game, and learning only offensive strategies, ignoring effective defensive strategies leaves half the game on the table.  I am actually shocked at how many high K/D players are an easy kill once you get on their 6. The only reason their K/D is high is they have learned to run when they see an icon appear at 6K. 

It's their $15, but when everyone in the arena is avoiding contact, then it's no longer a combat game and people quit to play another game that's a little more exciting.  There aren't as many players today, I feel, because when numbers are low, and no one wants to fight, they pull the rip cord. 

I tried iRacing once, and left after the trial period because the way it's set up, it's hard to find someone to race. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline FishBait

• Copper Member
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2016, 08:05:39 AM »
While I am not saying they should play "my way", it is after all a combat game, and learning only offensive strategies, ignoring effective defensive strategies leaves half the game on the table.  I am actually shocked at how many high K/D players are an easy kill once you get on their 6. The only reason their K/D is high is they have learned to run when they see an icon appear at 6K. 

I'm not shocked in the least. It's the score-nursers who are the worst. I could name at least 10 players right off the top of my head (many more if I thought about it a bit) who have great scores and all fly the exact same way: They hover about 3-5K over a fight, boom & zoom to clear their teammates 12-o-clock every so often, and then extend to the moon, drop to the deck, or run for friendlies/ack anytime anything close to their alt appears. It's the (de) evolution of ACM in Aces High.

Just don't ask them to DA. They'll be the first to tell you "That proves nothing", and "They don't DA because <insert face-saving bs here>". Their ego is so dependent on being known as a threat - even when they're not one - that they can't bear any insult to it. It's a common pattern.
-== Hell Hounds ==- Official Pooper Scooper

I've got 99 problems, but a HO aint one.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2016, 08:48:56 AM »
I'm not shocked in the least. It's the score-nursers who are the worst. I could name at least 10 players right off the top of my head (many more if I thought about it a bit) who have great scores and all fly the exact same way: They hover about 3-5K over a fight, boom & zoom to clear their teammates 12-o-clock every so often, and then extend to the moon, drop to the deck, or run for friendlies/ack anytime anything close to their alt appears. It's the (de) evolution of ACM in Aces High.

Just don't ask them to DA. They'll be the first to tell you "That proves nothing", and "They don't DA because <insert face-saving bs here>". Their ego is so dependent on being known as a threat - even when they're not one - that they can't bear any insult to it. It's a common pattern.
FWIW, my perspective is that the DA is indeed a skill in and of itself.  I have seen some DA monsters who are weak in the MA, and visa versa. 

If only people took more pride in defensive ACM as opposed to offensive ACM it would be a funner (is that a word?) game.  Personally, that's what I like for my $15.  I get more kills fighting from a disadvantage and getting the reverse than I do when I have the advantage.  It's likely because I bait them in, then work to flip the tables.  At least I am fighting though....
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2016, 08:51:13 AM »
  At least I am fighting though....

And that's all that matters  :aok
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2016, 09:09:33 AM »

:aok :aok :aok

I've been told I'm an egotistical loudmouth...the people who call me that often times are the ones who make excuses for not going to the DA...it's ok...not everyone can have this pancake mix...

FWIW, my perspective is that the DA is indeed a skill in and of itself.  I have seen some DA monsters who are weak in the MA, and visa versa. 

If only people took more pride in defensive ACM as opposed to offensive ACM it would be a funner (is that a word?) game.  Personally, that's what I like for my $15.  I get more kills fighting from a disadvantage and getting the reverse than I do when I have the advantage.  It's likely because I bait them in, then work to flip the tables.  At least I am fighting though....
"When my opponent expands I contract, when he contracts I expand, when I hit....I do not hit....it hits all by itself" the way I approach ACM

Think offensive ACM and defensive ACM is getting confused with the alts of yesterday vs the alts we should be using today. You can fly a Tempest at 10K in Tank town and not worry about a thing today....it used to be there would be mulitple ponies at 15K+ over it fighting up high...

These days if your above 8K you should be going after buffs/enemy or your an alt monkey :aok
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2016, 09:14:28 AM »
Like the 47 Ronin?

What's the matter, Waystin? Do you need a hug?  :D

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2016, 09:29:43 AM »
At least I am fighting though....

And that's all that matters  :aok

There you have it. 

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2016, 09:42:06 AM »

This is pretty much my perspective also. With defensive flying you get double the kills and have more fun doing it. Most people don't realize that if you get 4-5 kills per sortie and die half the time, you will still have a higher K/D than most of the players who stay high and get 2 kills per hour who run at lost advantage. By becoming more aggressive, you have the chance to get more kills, learn the game better, and it's more fun for everyone.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2016, 10:21:23 AM »
  What's the matter, Waystin? Do you need a hug?  :D
I'll have to chase one of the 47 Moaning a few sectors to get it. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Snork

• Copper Member
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2016, 10:26:55 AM »

"the lengths some people go... " to promote themselves as all powerful wonder sticks by complaining about others running away is actually comical. It's cartoonland! Get over it!
Flying as Noser