Author Topic: the lengths some people go...  (Read 17220 times)

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: the lengths some people go...
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2016, 12:13:29 AM »
biggest runner in this game : TY

went afk as i climbed out and came back just in time to avoid a pass from a 51.

the 51 proceeded to extend, as i chased, for THREE SECTORS, i literally went afk as he just ran until we were 3 bases deep behind the front.

i then ran out of fuel and landed on the ground but this is insane.

TY gets the runstang donkey of the week also he's knight let him know if you see him.

Offline Zardoz

• Copper Member
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2016, 01:06:24 AM »
Waaa...
Your incessant whining just adds entertainment value to my gaming experience :cool:

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2016, 02:51:05 AM »
No its not about dueling, dueling is a whole different style of play and they have a special arena just for it.

I know that. I believe "dueling in the MA" expresses my opinion of the "problem" of every fighter you want to fight not fighting you.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2016, 03:06:25 AM »

Clearly you have not encountered the vulchers.  Vulchers wouldn't be a problem if the ack was significantly intensified.

If you up from a capped airfield you chose to put yourself in that position. And that's fine, if you want to run the gauntlet so to speak. If you're killed you're killed by other players in an online game, not some ridiculously unrealistic arbitrary AI magic puffy ack that prevents me from fighting against other players by either shooting down my opponent or me in the middle of a fight.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2016, 06:11:58 AM »
All this really breaks down to how you view success in the game.

Offline FishBait

• Copper Member
« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »
The single most damning thing about this game is not player behavior. It's the fact that there's AI ack and flak. Ack-dragging wouldn't be a problem if there was no ack. To knock some rust off before the big campaign I've spent some time in the MA flying the 109G-6. I've been shot down four times. Only one of those deaths were to another human player. In one case I was fighting a Yak-3 at 22-23K and some carrier fleet towered me with its magic puffy clouds. How fun. I'm not sure I want to give these people my money. In fact I'm pretty sure I don't.
:rofl

I see your problem now. But don't worry... there's a solution! Simply climb another 10K or so, and you won't have to worry about anything killing you. Except for perhaps UV rays. Don't forget your sunscreen, shades, and O2!

GScholz has earned the achievement "That's not a mole!"
-== Hell Hounds ==- Official Pooper Scooper

I've got 99 problems, but a HO aint one.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2016, 08:39:07 AM »
I have no problem with being killed in a game. It's just that in an online game I expect to be killed by other human players who have to work for it just as I do, and not some silly unrealistic AI that can magically lay a gun barrage at a maneuvering fighter five miles up.

But yes... I am an alt-monkey for sure!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2016, 09:40:33 AM »
The single most damning thing about this game is not player behavior. It's the fact that there's AI ack and flak. Ack-dragging wouldn't be a problem if there was no ack. To knock some rust off before the big campaign I've spent some time in the MA flying the 109G-6. I've been shot down four times. Only one of those deaths were to another human player. In one case I was fighting a Yak-3 at 22-23K and some carrier fleet towered me with its magic puffy clouds. How fun. I'm not sure I want to give these people my money. In fact I'm pretty sure I don't.
Stay away from the fields and that would not happen. Of course those folks now might be co-alt or higher now. If you like fights that should not matter.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: May 26, 2016, 10:18:32 AM »
All this really breaks down to how you view success in the game.
Success for everyone in game should be to engage in combat....some think winning the war is the most important thing and it tends to lead to stale game play.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: May 26, 2016, 10:37:58 AM »
Stay away from the fields and that would not happen. Of course those folks now might be co-alt or higher now. If you like fights that should not matter.

You're talking about ack, not flak which is my gripe. I never vulch so airfield defenses don't bother me. I would be a God if I could vulch from 20K+! What bothers me is the magic puffy flak that bares no resemblance to the real thing and disrupts fights between real human players. It has no function in the game what so ever except to ruin fights. If it only targeted bombers there might be some immersion value for strategic bombing buffs, but for it to track and shoot down maneuvering fighters at a range and altitude where the shells take 10-20 seconds to reach the intercept point is just completely ridiculous. And that's not accounting for the time it would take between tracking, computing and gun laying.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: May 26, 2016, 11:44:25 AM »
Success for everyone in game should be to engage in combat....some think winning the war is the most important thing and it tends to lead to stale game play.
I would hazard to guess everyone here does engage in combat.  Where we may differ is how we define combat, and what constitutes success. 

To some, it's about the dogfight, and some, it's tanks, others it's blowing stuff up, and others winning the war (which may involve all the former). 

I feel it's disingenuous to speak poorly of what someone else likes to do.  It's like arguing flavor preference.  You may like vanilla, I may like chocolate.  Neither flavor is good or bad, it's just different.  HTC has developed a game where you aren't rail roaded into a specific way to play.  You find success your own way.

That being said, I don't understand personally what thrill is gained by running at the first sight of a red guy.  It's not my flavor, and honestly, I laugh when people do it.  Does it "hurt" the game, maybe.  Can anyone stop it, nope.  Let the timid players have their game, it's all good.  And when I am in a mood, I sometimes hunt them down just to watch them squirm.  Try it sometime, it's delightful. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #146 on: May 26, 2016, 12:16:17 PM »
You're talking about ack, not flak which is my gripe. I never vulch so airfield defenses don't bother me. I would be a God if I could vulch from 20K+! What bothers me is the magic puffy flak that bares no resemblance to the real thing and disrupts fights between real human players. It has no function in the game what so ever except to ruin fights. If it only targeted bombers there might be some immersion value for strategic bombing buffs, but for it to track and shoot down maneuvering fighters at a range and altitude where the shells take 10-20 seconds to reach the intercept point is just completely ridiculous. And that's not accounting for the time it would take between tracking, computing and gun laying.
Flack is hit and miss. I have been the victim of it too. That is why I usually stay below 3k when near a cv.

Of course if you happen across one out in the open waters.... just adjust course.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2016, 12:17:31 PM »
Flack is hit and miss. I have been the victim of it too. That is why I usually stay below 3k when near a cv.

Of course if you happen across one out in the open waters.... just adjust course.
Works unless you are in a perk plane.  Otherwise you're towered on the first puff  :x
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2016, 12:21:16 PM »
Works unless you are in a perk plane.  Otherwise you're towered on the first puff  :x

I am usually in my 38. Rarely in a perk plane. That is why I have so many perks. LOL
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2016, 07:08:01 PM »
I have no problem with being killed in a game. It's just that in an online game I expect to be killed by other human players who have to work for it just as I do, and not some silly unrealistic AI that can magically lay a gun barrage at a maneuvering fighter five miles up.

But yes... I am an alt-monkey for sure!

I witnessed this, when you took a flak hit over a CV the other night.  However, you were NOT maneuvering -- you were flying in a straight line in a shallow climb (reducing speed).

This is not only opposite of what you said, but also the opposite of what you want to do when CV ack starts firing -- instead you want to increase speed and add some G-s (turn).  HTC has in recent years enhanced the algorithm so that the "flak box" is larger if you are 1) faster and 2) pulling G's.  Try it out.  It works.

As to WHY I know about your particular case, I was the Corsair you followed back to my CV.  I was at operating at around 10K-15K, screening against some bombers and fighters attacking our CV and nearby V-base, when I ran into you.  You came in from at least 20K.  You made a couple passes at me which I avoided.  I was able to reset at one point for a more nose to nose merge (though I believe I was still -E), where you offset horizontally (good HO-avoidance technique!) and went into a steep Immelmann that I could not hope to match.  Seeing this and your previous merges, I knew I was up against a good pilot who knew their ride.  I could have fought you from a distinct disadvantage, but recognizing a good pilot flying a better E-fighting bird, I thought it better to call it a draw and extend while I had a chance.

You elected to follow me back to the CV.  I thought you might give up once the first few puffy acks started, but you didn't.  You continued to follow.  So, I intentionally went into a shallow climb -- done to keep you straight at me (seeing closure) and slowing you down in the climb (making you an easier target for the ack).  You took an oil (and possibly radiator?) hit.

Rather than dive out and leave, which I probably would not have bothered following, you nosed straight down and dove for the CV kamikaze style and plunged into the water (beyond proxy range).  I only know it was you because I thought the move interesting, saved the film and watched it to see who it was.

So, before you make claims that puffy ack is too accurate against a "maneuvering fighter five miles up" you may want to revise your story.  Mine is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Before you say nobody wants to fight, consider the situation from both sides.   I would have been happy to fight you from anything resembling an equal merge or decent position or if I could see you making a mistake.  In fact, I actually flew back to you for subsequent merges, knowing you were likely +E.  But you flew well, kept the fight uphill and didn't make a mistake.  I will add that I actually landed 4 kills that same sortie, all against fighters, most of whom entered the fight Co-E or +E with me.  They just weren't as good as you at retaining their E.  I salute you for that.

Lastly, before you continue to say there was no player involvement in your death, consider the following:

1) I flew in such a way as to give myself an option to extend (I think wisely).  You chose to follow into puffy ack (I think unwisely).

2) I intentionally got you to go straight and slower, after you refused to break off and after you realized we were over my CV.  Perhaps a cheesy tactic, but you were just as likely to vulch me landing on the CV.  (Don't pretend like it was some magic insta-puff that got you.  It certainly wasn't that time.  And subsequently, you should have known there was a CV there.)

3) YOU elected to nose straight down and suicide into the sea -- death at your own hands, not the ack.

Those were all player actions and choices (mostly yours, in fact).  They just didn't have the result you wanted (someone to get roped and shot down) which would have been much more to your liking.  My objectives (protect the CV) didn't align with yours (bounce somebody and shoot them down).

That's the moral of this whole thread: you get to control your choices, others control theirs.  Sometimes objectives align, sometimes they don't.  Sometimes you get what you want, sometimes you don't.  Play accordingly.

<S>
Kingpin
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:40:36 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.