Author Topic: Field Of View  (Read 563 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Field Of View
« on: June 10, 2016, 01:30:17 PM »
Default FOV is something that really wish to support.  :aok  It does make things appear larger, and I will agree with HiTech that it probably is much closer to what would be visible looking forward.

Okay..........this is where I "wish" there was some "adjustment".    I would love to be able to have the FOV default, without feeling like my head was the size of the cockpit.  :airplane:  In prior discussion HiTech proved to me that the distance of travel is the same.  So, I guess what I am asking is some sort of scaling of views so that no matter what FOV you are set, the view "bubble" will be the same.

• This should improve framerates on marginal machines and not give any advantage to better hardware or screen size.
  • More players would see an immediate improvement in game versions and would play using defaults as intended when developed.
  • Air to Air engagements will greatly benefit, when targets are not blocked from view 80% of the time by the cockpit.

I have found that a FOV of 106 puts my view (especially rear views and below cowl views) at the edge of a comfortable target tracking "bubble".

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Field Of View
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 01:55:03 PM »
You seem to be asking for a FOV of 80 that gives you a FOV greater than 106.

Try 112 and zooming in to 80.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 02:25:39 PM »
If I understand your thought Chili, when you forward it would have a different FOV than when you look say back and up.  Interesting idea.

I see what fls is saying but that needs to have a zoom that the default can be set and saved like head position.

I have been working with FOV for over a year now.  My conclusion is a compromise setting of 94.  This gives me say 90% coverage on a single view like looking up and back when searching for a red.  A 106 setting pretty much gives boost the view to 100%.  The 94 FOV also gives me good forward view for firing without using zoom as well as a compromised real view.

Not perfect but it works for me.

In my humble opinion, the zoom should be eliminated since it can game the game when firing.

The increasing interest in sim googles may make FOV a mute point anyway.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 02:34:37 PM »

Okay..........this is where I "wish" there was some "adjustment".    I would love to be able to have the FOV default, without feeling like my head was the size of the cockpit.  :airplane:  In prior discussion HiTech proved to me that the distance of travel is the same.  So, I guess what I am asking is some sort of scaling of views so that no matter what FOV you are set, the view "bubble" will be the same.

Set your FOV to 106, and put your face very very close to the screen.

What you asking for really dosn't make since chilli. There is no concept of a view bubble, only a view (position in the world where your eyes are) and a FOV (simply look from above and draw some angle left and right of your view point forward).

All things remain exactly the same in relationship to each other no mater what FOV.

HiTech

HiTech

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 04:59:40 PM »
I see what you say is true..... again  :headscratch:  Maybe it is an illusion, because at larger FOV it appears that you are able to see areas blocked by the cockpit previously.  Tested and that is not so. 

It does go beyond illusion in practice though, because it becomes magnitudes more difficult to acquire targets with default FOV.  Possibly panning to views might be necessary.... and like Randy said additional hardware purchased and put to use like TrackIR or VR headsets would seem to grant broad advantages.

Offline AKQwik

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 05:05:14 PM »
Last Friday's CC was my first time flying beta in competition and I couldn't take the 80 fov.  I changed it to 100 and that seemed to work for me, but it does make the gauges harder to read.  I might try other fovs in the future.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 03:04:16 AM »
I see what you say is true..... again  :headscratch:  Maybe it is an illusion, because at larger FOV it appears that you are able to see areas blocked by the cockpit previously.  Tested and that is not so. 

It does go beyond illusion in practice though, because it becomes magnitudes more difficult to acquire targets with default FOV.  Possibly panning to views might be necessary.... and like Randy said additional hardware purchased and put to use like TrackIR or VR headsets would seem to grant broad advantages.
It sure does! Although it still makes if a bit more difficult at 80 fov. Its just  scaling of TIR curves problem though. I find that at 90, the problem is minimal. Unfortunately TIR isn't being recognized after the latest update. Sucks too! I have become way to spoiled in using TIR, not sure I can fly without it these days. Its still the best $150 I ever spent!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain